Game Day There's Some Game On Friday Apparently - Eagles v Hawks, QF

Remove this Banner Ad

We’re so close now. For months it seemed like a dream, like Friday would never actually arrive and we’d just keep waiting for September action forever. This game isn’t for all the marbles, and both teams will have much more important games in the weeks to come, but it still just feels so important, that if either team were to seriously disappoint on Friday it could put them in a hole they may not be able to dig themselves out of. There are quite a few big games occurring over the weekend, and yet all the media and all the fans have only really seemed to focus on this one, wondering which high scoring offensive unit can overpower the other. They are the reigning champs, and they do have more experience in big games, but neither side is completely new to these experiences so you’d hope it doesn’t play a role. Sure, neither team will be at full strength, and we all know the controversy that their leader has dodged to somehow be allowed to take the field Friday, but there just seems to be no way to deflate the swelling build up to this huge game between these two traditionally strong clubs. So enough foreplay, let’s get this over with.

The Kick Off Game Of The 2015 NFL Season:

Pittsburgh Steelers @ New England Patriots, Gillette Stadium, 8.30AM AWST, 8.30PM US East Coast Time.

We have to talk about it, so we may as well get it out of the way first.

#Deflategate.

January 2015,The Indianapolis Colts robbed of a Super Bowl by the again cheating New England Patriots and Tom Brady (who will hereby be referred to as “The Cheater”). Surely for the heinous crime of potentially being aware of balls being illegally deflated slightly below NFL regulation by other people, Brady would face deregistration, if not joining his dear friend and self proclaimed inspiration in life [citation needed] Aaron Hernandez in a Massachusetts penitentiary, but instead, the always fair Commissioner Goodell showed amazing compassion and handed The Cheater a meager four week ban, one of which was even against the Jaguars (The Jaguars ffs! That’s a reward, not a punishment!) Surely The Cheater would accept this generous punishment and start trying to make up for the damage his actions had caused to so many innocent victims? Sadly even after the always fair Commissioner Goodell selflessly decided to handle The Cheater’s unnecessary appeal himself, and once again decided on an incredibly charitable ban of just four weeks, (the same ban The Cheater self-imposed on himself last year out of pure arrogance). Despite this The Cheater wasn’t done, taking the NFL to court threatening to destroy the entire league if he was banned even one game. Sadly the vile, corrupt, Fremantle supporting, evil, despicable* judge, named Tyrone Vickery** sided with The Cheater throwing out the entire ban, and making Ochre’s sensational fantasy football draft look even better (suck it Badge)

*alleged

**that one’s a lie, but be honest, you bought it

Now while The Cheater managed to bend the legal system to his will, Le’Veon Bell, superstar Steelers running back, all round nice guy and another fantastic fantasy football pick by Ochre (back2back here we come!), will be forced to sit out the game due to a farcical suspension for the ‘crime’ of driving under the influence of marijuana. I, like Bell, was stunned to find out this was even a crime. The wonderfully ironically named LeGarrette Blount, Bell’s teammate at the time and current Patriots running back, was also suspended for the incident but is relatively useless and not the loss Bell will be.

So in all likelihood, this match will come down to each team’s future hall of fame quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger/The Cheater), eccentric pass catcher (the well dressed Antonio Brown/Rob “Gronk” Gronkowski [as seen on US Big Brother]) and shithouse fill in running back (DeAngelo Williams/Genuinely no idea, but he will get 200 yards next time they play the Colts). Whilst you would normally lean towards the Patriots because those players are better, plus they are playing at home, I cannot ******* stand that organization and for that reason alone, am tipping the Steelers to win.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 52, Patriots 3

PS. As this is about American Football, I am legally obligated to mention the name Jarryd Hayne here.

Oh, there is also an Australian Football game on that same night coincidentally. I know it won’t have the same interest around these parts that the DeAngelo Williams/Dion Lewis(?) match up will, but I figure it’s still worth going into.

West Coast Eagles v Hawthorn Hawks, Domain Stadium, Subiaco Oval, 6.20pm WST, 8.20 EST, Hunt WCEST

Let’s just get straight into some key matchups

1. Adam Simpson v Alistair Clarkson

After years of walking around the post-apocalyptic wasteland of Arden Street, Adam ‘Rockatansky’ Simpson was drafted into a new civilization at Waverly. Whilst this civilization was proven to be more advanced than anywhere else in the world, Simpson could not stand their brilliant but cruel leader in Alastair Clarkson, so he escaped, taking the civilizations most innocent and beautiful inhabitants (pictured) with him.

2ni1ctl.jpg

However like all true heroes, Simpson has realized that simply escaping evil isn’t enough. He has decided to return to destroy the evil, making life better for all residents of the new world.

Bad Fury Road parody aside, the coaching matchup is truly the most interesting thing in the lead up for mine. During the Saints game on the weekend we started protecting the ‘bubble’ /foxfootyism more than we ever have before, a sign imo Simpson has been planning for this game for a while and I’m sure Clarko is no different.

It’s interesting to note the success coaches who have worked under Clarkson have had against him in the past. Richmond and Hardwick have an excellent record against the Hawks in the past few years, Leon Cameron’s GWS recorded one of their greatest wins against the Hawks earlier this year, a Naitanui and Sinclairless West Coast pushed the Hawks all the way in Round 19, Brendon Bolton has never lost to the Hawks at Carlton, and we’ll conveniently forget about Luke Beveridge for now.

2. The Rucks

Neither Nic Naitanui or Callum Sinclair played against the Hawks last time, and while Scott Lycett played one of his best games for the club, there’s no doubting the huge role these two play in our team, so having them back in is a huge boost. If Hawthorn have a weakness, it’s RBTs. But apart from that, it’s their rucks, and to be honest, it’s the only real genuine weakness they have, so it’s so important for us that Naita and the easy to birth one take full advantage over whichever two of David “Baldy” Hale, Jonathan “Big Ceggsy” Ceglar and Ben “No Nickname Found” McEvoy play. Wowee.

3. Our Backs vs Their Forwards

Due to this crazy web thing all the kids at Fox Footy are talking about, (“Look ma, I can draw lines between six players who are all suspiciously standing next to their man”) it’s hard to really go into any individual match ups. The Hawks don’t really have any genuine key forwards anyway. Hale/Ceglar/Big Boy are all more ruckman than forwards, Roughy spends a lot of time in the midfield these days due to <jokes about red hair/him being ugly> and Frawley has been moved there because dropping a bloke you spent a s**t tonne on is embarrassing. So you’d think Schoey and Gov should have those covered, leaving the only real matchup I’ll go into as Shep v Gunston. Will it eventuate? Probably not, but let’s say yes. Gunston, despite having a hand bitten off by a crocodile earlier this year, is sadly a good player, good mark for his size, good at ground level for his size and a great set shot. Brad Sheppard on the other hand, is God, not a god, the God. Good luck Chubbs.

4. Hodge v WA Police

Lolza! Gottim! Platinum Bassett!

5. Ochre v Ticketmaster

g-cvr-080501-mission-10a.grid-6x2.jpg

Teams: Look at last week’s teams, take out Masten and Isaac Smith, and do something for yourself for once, you lazy hippie.

Forecast: Rain. Lots of it. And the forecast is never wrong so that’s that.

Prediction: Hawthorn are a good team, but we are also a good team. That makes this prediction difficult. I think it will be close all day, before we kick away a little late third/early fourth quarter and hold Hawthorn off in the last.

West Coast by 15 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the way you separated the posts to get twice the likes.
You mean like how you suggested I do it when I asked you whether I should put it in a spoiler tag or a second post?

We’re so close now. For months it seemed like a dream, like Friday would never actually arrive and we’d just keep waiting for September action forever. This game isn’t for all the marbles, and both teams will have much more important games in the weeks to come, but it still just feels so important, that if either team were to seriously disappoint on Friday it could put them in a hole they may not be able to dig themselves out of. There are quite a few big games occurring over the weekend, and yet all the media and all the fans have only really seemed to focus on this one, wondering which high scoring offensive unit can overpower the other. They are the reigning champs, and they do have more experience in big games, but neither side is completely new to these experiences so you’d hope it doesn’t play a role. Sure, neither team will be at full strength, and we all know the controversy that their leader has dodged to somehow be allowed to take the field Friday, but there just seems to be no way to deflate the swelling build up to this huge game between these two traditionally strong clubs. So enough foreplay, let’s get this over with.

The Kick Off Game Of The 2015 NFL Season:

Pittsburgh Steelers @ New England Patriots, Gillette Stadium, 8.30AM AWST, 8.30PM US East Coast Time.

We have to talk about it, so we may as well get it out of the way first.

#Deflategate.

January 2015,The Indianapolis Colts robbed of a Super Bowl by the again cheating New England Patriots and Tom Brady (who will hereby be referred to as “The Cheater”). Surely for the heinous crime of potentially being aware of balls being illegally deflated slightly below NFL regulation by other people, Brady would face deregistration, if not joining his dear friend and self proclaimed inspiration in life [citation needed] Aaron Hernandez in a Massachusetts penitentiary, but instead, the always fair Commissioner Goodell showed amazing compassion and handed The Cheater a meager four week ban, one of which was even against the Jaguars (The Jaguars ffs! That’s a reward, not a punishment!) Surely The Cheater would accept this generous punishment and start trying to make up for the damage his actions had caused to so many innocent victims? Sadly even after the always fair Commissioner Goodell selflessly decided to handle The Cheater’s unnecessary appeal himself, and once again decided on an incredibly charitable ban of just four weeks, (the same ban The Cheater self-imposed on himself last year out of pure arrogance). Despite this The Cheater wasn’t done, taking the NFL to court threatening to destroy the entire league if he was banned even one game. Sadly the vile, corrupt, Fremantle supporting, evil, despicable* judge, named Tyrone Vickery** sided with The Cheater throwing out the entire ban, and making Ochre’s sensational fantasy football draft look even better (suck it Badge)

*alleged

**that one’s a lie, but be honest, you bought it

Now while The Cheater managed to bend the legal system to his will, Le’Veon Bell, superstar Steelers running back, all round nice guy and another fantastic fantasy football pick by Ochre (back2back here we come!), will be forced to sit out the game due to a farcical suspension for the ‘crime’ of driving under the influence of marijuana. I, like Bell, was stunned to find out this was even a crime. The wonderfully ironically named LeGarrette Blount, Bell’s teammate at the time and current Patriots running back, was also suspended for the incident but is relatively useless and not the loss Bell will be.

So in all likelihood, this match will come down to each team’s future hall of fame quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger/The Cheater), eccentric pass catcher (the well dressed Antonio Brown/Rob “Gronk” Gronkowski [as seen on US Big Brother]) and shithouse fill in running back (DeAngelo Williams/Genuinely no idea, but he will get 200 yards next time they play the Colts). Whilst you would normally lean towards the Patriots because those players are better, plus they are playing at home, I cannot ******* stand that organization and for that reason alone, am tipping the Steelers to win.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 52, Patriots 3

PS. As this is about American Football, I am legally obligated to mention the name Jarryd Hayne here.

Solid effort. Did lol. Wow.

On a serious note. If I don't see a Dodgy Hodgey sign on Friday night, I'll be pissed. Make it happen someone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back