These bloody injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Kevin White, Sports Scientist Collingwood FC (Australian Rules)
Interview: Kevin White
Team: Collingwood FC
Position: Sports Scientist

What qualifications do you have? How did you become a Sports Scientist?

I did my graduate degree in Sport & Exercise Science at The University of Limerick. I am currently doing a post grad diploma in Sports Nutrition.

Did you work in professional or amateur sport in Ireland before your position as a Sports Scientist with Collingwood FC?

No, what happened was, as part of the requirement for my degree, I had to undertake a co-operative placement with a company that falls under the Sports Science umbrella. Collingwood, as a strategy to enhance their reputation in Ireland and increase their ties with the GAA, offered an international sports science scholarship to come and work with the club in Melbourne, Australia for an 8 month period. I then returned back home and completed my degree before getting accepted to undertake a Masters in Manchester Metropolitan University, in the area of exercise physiology and sports injuries. Mid way through the masters, I got a call from the director of sports science at Collingwood, David Buttifant, offering me a full time job, and so without hesitation I withdrew from the course and made the trip down under.

These are the hands we have put the preperation of our playing list into, from lreland, dont even think he worked with amatuer players in the GAA. Prior to heading to Collingwood a few years back, had no sports science experience. He basically learnt on the job. May l suggest his position be heavily reviewed at years end, because right now he is failing badly.

It baffles me that we're not willing to bite the bullet, spend some serious money, pay the goddamn luxury tax, and get the best of the best in terms of high performance and medical staff.

Penny pinching off the field doesn't sit right with me. We've got the resources, we have to be willing to put them to use, tax or no.

Agreed. Get the best. Mihocek is more resiliant coming from a VFL background.
Work out what the problem is and fix it.
If it's the hard ground they train on move and just get the f#@!ing best. Increased membership and the gate will pay for it.

I did my graduate degree in Sport & Exercise Science at The University of Limerick. I am currently doing a post grad diploma in Sports Nutrition.

Did you work in professional or amateur sport in Ireland before your position as a Sports Scientist with Collingwood FC?

No, what happened was, as part of the requirement for my degree, I had to undertake a co-operative placement with a company that falls under the Sports Science umbrella. Collingwood, as a strategy to enhance their reputation in Ireland and increase their ties with the GAA, offered an international sports science scholarship to come and work with the club in Melbourne, Australia for an 8 month period. I then returned back home and completed my degree before getting accepted to undertake a Masters in Manchester Metropolitan University, in the area of exercise physiology and sports injuries. Mid way through the masters, I got a call from the director of sports science at Collingwood, David Buttifant, offering me a full time job, and so without hesitation I withdrew from the course and made the trip down under.

These are the hands we have put the preperation of our playing list into, from lreland, dont even think he worked with amatuer players in the GAA. Prior to heading to Collingwood a few years back, had no sports science experience. He basically learnt on the job. May l suggest his position be heavily reviewed at years end, because right now he is failing badly.
Lol. Another work experience kid at the club. Is that biomechanics uni student we recruited to fix our kicking woes still there?

Mind boggling. We once were leaders in this stuff, but we now are so far off the pace. This guy might or might not be much good, but the current out puts of his program are a disaster.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

It has to be our training ground, Along with the blokes inc charge of fitness.

Since the end of the buttifant days we’ve been up there with high levels of soft tissue injuries. Something has to give.

I really wish we could get the stats on games missed through injury comparisons over the last 8 years. No doubt we’d heading that list, and comfortably too.

Can anyone recall a game in the past 5 years where we’ve had close to our best 22 play 1 full game, let alone several, during a season?

Honestly, our run of injuries has reached such an absurd level it's almost comical now.

Almost.

To spare you all the complete horror I've only included the most significant injury moments for that round. VFL not included as children might be viewing.

Round 20 vs Sydney

Moore (Hamstring)
Round 19 vs Richmond
Scharenberg (Knee)
Howe (Concussion)
Round 18 vs North Melbourne
de Goey post game injury (Leg)
Moore replaced in selected side (Hamstring)
Round 17 vs West Coast
Sier (Quad)
Cox replaced in selected side (Hamstring)
Round 16 vs Essendon
Appleby (Hamstring)
Round 15 vs Gold Coast
Dunn (Knee)
Round 14 vs Carlton
Treloar (Hamstring x 2)
Greenwood (Concussion)
Round 13 Bye
Round 12 vs Melbourne

Wells (Foot)
Round 11 vs Fremantle
All clear. Miracle!
Round 10 vs Western Bulldogs
Varcoe (Hamstring)
Round 9 vs St Kilda
Fasolo (Ankle)
Round 8 vs Geelong
Moore (Hamstring)
Phillips (Concussion)
Pendlebury replaced in the selected side (Ankle)
Round 7 vs Brisbane
Pendlebury (Ankle)
Round 6 vs Richmond
Aish (Knee)
Reid (Achilles)
Maynard (Ankle)
Langdon replaced in the selected side
Round 5 vs Essendon
All clear. Again. Unbelievable.
Round 4 vs Adelaide
All clear. I see it but I don't believe it.
Round 3 vs Carlton
All clear. Ahhh remember these good old days.
Round 2 vs GWS
Broomhead (Leg)
Moore (Hamstring)
Reid replaced in the selected side
Round 1 vs Hawthorn
Smith (Hamstring)

Missing in action for season 2018

Goldsack (Knee)
Elliott (Hamstring)
Kirby (Heart)

What I can't stand is opposition supporters trolling our injuries, and doing so in a gutless way behind a keyboard on this board. It's not on, and I won't stand for it.

Since the end of the buttifant days we’ve been up there with high levels of soft tissue injuries. Something has to give.

I really wish we could get the stats on games missed through injury comparisons over the last 8 years. No doubt we’d heading that list, and comfortably too.

Can anyone recall a game in the past 5 years where we’ve had close to our best 22 play 1 full game, let alone several, during a season?
We started training at Holden Centre in 13 and injuries were terrible in 11 and 12 so might not be ground.

How do you account for our injury list in 2011 and 2012?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should have made it clear that that his been happening since the final years of the butifant reign.

Either way, it needs a thorough analysis. It could cost us this years flag and possibly next years too.

I should have made it clear that that his been happening since the final years of the butifant reign.

Either way, it needs a thorough analysis. It could cost us this years flag and possibly next years too.
Then the scope is probably too narrow

Back in 2005, I recall we only had a list of 25 players to select a team of 22 to play
My point? Its been going on forever and it is almost impossible to pin-point an exact cause
Some years (and possible for a few years in succession) we will have an inordinate number of injuries
Other years we may go a long time with minimal injuries

Having said all that, I would welcome a review, you never know what something like that may turn up

Just looked at AFL injury list for last week to see how many hamstring injuries other clubs have.

Most clubs have 1-3 with some clubs (GC, Melb, WC, STK, PA, Haw-none), we have 5.

Maybe we should check out why?

This guy seems to have a good rep at North and his technology is for sale:
https://kanga-tech.com/index.php/about-us/

Up until the last 2 weeks, I was pretty buoyant about our injury situation.

Yes we had a lot of injuries, but I would argue that a number of the guys on the list would have struggled to break back into the side anyway. Guys like Reid, Elliott, Fasolo, Aish, Wells and Goldsack I reckon are depth now and haven't played a role in our success this year. So they were no automatic inclusions.

The only 2 that were major for me were Treloar and Dunn. Treloar was going to be the bonus come September.

But now we've added De Goey, Scharenberg, Howe and Moore to the list. That's just catastrophic on top of all the other injuries.

We should get Howe back this week, and De Goey we'll see if the club is telling the truth.

I think Reid becomes important again in the absence of Dunn, as does Goldsack in the absence of Shaz. At least they are experienced finals players.

But it's folly planning at the moment as we can't go a week without another major injury.

Just looked at AFL injury list for last week to see how many hamstring injuries other clubs have.

Most clubs have 1-3 with some clubs (GC, Melb, WC, STK, PA, Haw-none), we have 5.

Maybe we should check out why?

This guy seems to have a good rep at North and his technology is for sale:
https://kanga-tech.com/index.php/about-us/
At this point Steve Saunders would be a bigger fish to land than Tom Lynch. Doesn't seem like he is interested in leaving north though.

COLLINGWOOD

INJURIES

Darcy Moore (hamstring) TBC

Jamie Elliott (hamstring) 3-4 weeks

Jeremy Howe (soreness) test

Ben Reid (knees/calf) test

Jordan de Goey (leg) test

Tyson Goldsack (knee) 1-2 weeks

Flynn Appleby (hamstring) 2-3 weeks

Rupert Wills (hamstring) 2-3 weeks

Adam Treloar (hamstring) 5-6 weeks

Kayle Kirby (heart issue) indefinite

Matthew Scharenberg (knee) season

Lynden Dunn (knee) season

Daniel Wells (foot) season

Tim Broomhead (broken leg) season

ON THE BLOCK: Sadly, Darcy Moore is set for his third stint on the sidelines due to a hamstring this season. Otherwise, don’t expect too many changes at Holden Centre this week. Callum Brown’s five disposals don’t tell you the full story as the Magpies youngster had 10 tackles.

ON THE CUSP: Moore’s absence could see former second-round draft pick Sam McLarty get his AFL chance after he kicked two goals in the VFL on the weekend. He was drafted as a key defender. James Aish is now three games into his return from a knee injury and is firming for an AFL return.

BEN HIGGINS’ FORECAST: Has the witch doctor who cursed the Socceroos turned his eye to the Magpies? Seriously, the club couldn’t be any unluckier with injuries and close results. A MCG clash against Brisbane isn’t the easy kill is seems on paper. The Lions are full of confidence despite sitting 16th and could spring an upset if Collingwood don’t turn up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back