These players need to go in the next year or two

Remove this Banner Ad

Pendlebury? Nah....

He should stay.

Buckley has simply utterly failed to develop a single midfielder in his 10 years as a senior coach (Treloar and Adams were pinched), so that's why he has to rely on a 33yo to carry the midfield. Any other coach with half a brain would've moved him to the backline ala Hodge or something a few years ago.

No idea why I keep seeing this nonsense about Pendlebury needing to be on his way out. Most had him best-on for us, and he's been thereabouts for most of the year, while being our best non-rucking mid by a large margin. Just because he's old people are expecting (almost seems as if they're wishing it to be proven right) him to decline. He's still A-grade

No idea why I keep seeing this nonsense about Pendlebury needing to be on his way out. Most had him best-on for us, and he's been thereabouts for most of the year, while being our best non-rucking mid by a large margin. Just because he's old people are expecting (almost seems as if they're wishing it to be proven right) him to decline. He's still A-grade
Correct. He's had to endure playing under Buckley for most of his career. Let him play his last couple under a real coach.

Correct. He's had to endure playing under Buckley for most of his career. Let him play his last couple under a real coach.
Would love to see him under Clarko. We know how much MM loved Pendles, feel like it'd be the same for Clarko

Do you agree

pendles , keane, mayne , greenwood , ruscoe, sidebottom ,roughhead ,thomas, hoskin elloit, sier, tohill, madgen, cox
Do not agree on Sier, Cox or at this stage Roughead. The club should be doing everything possible to motivate Sier and get the best out of him because given our pitiful midfield he is crucial if we are to achieve any level of success.

Do you agree

pendles , keane, mayne , greenwood , ruscoe, sidebottom ,roughhead ,thomas, hoskin elloit, sier, tohill, madgen, cox
Callum Brown out surely? Tries hard, but VFL quality at best. Don’t agree on Pendles. Not sure on Roughead. 2022 may be last year for Sidebum, and Elliot if he keeps getting injured.

Would love to see him under Clarko. We know how much MM loved Pendles, feel like it'd be the same for Clarko
I think Bucks and Pendles have a much closer relationship player coach wise than Mick and Pendles.

Pendles and Ball were the two who seemed not worried by Micks departure and the two that Mick had a bit of a dig at as he left

I think Bucks and Pendles have a much closer relationship player coach wise than Mick and Pendles.

Pendles and Ball were the two who seemed not worried by Micks departure and the two that Mick had a bit of a dig at as he left
I have no doubt that they have a close personal relationship, they're both uber-perfectionists who have insane work ethics. But I don't doubt the extent to which Mick respects Pendles' understanding of the game, as evidenced by him going to him for a perspective even when he was a kid still.

Mick's departure was never going to be graceful. I just think Clarko would appreciate Pendles' footy brain similarly to the way MM did. As Clarko did with Hodge.
I'm sure Bucks does too, but he's not a good coach, which is the whole point.

Yep, I don’t think Pendles is on the way out yet.

What might change is he spends less time in the midfield in his final years.

What’s hurting him is we don’t have any great midfielders coming through to fill the void he will leave in the midfield.

I do not think he should go but I also thought he was pretty poor yesterday. He had some good touches but torched the ball badly at times and his direct opponents smashed him. He gets 30 a lot, a bit like Sidebottom but how much do they impact games?

Pendles is still a gun, but I think he will retire at the end of 2022 (or 2023 latest). Sidebottom probably 2023 or 2024.

For me (not knowing contracts)
2021 - Mayne, Greenwood, Thomas, Tohill, Lynch
2022 - Pendles (if he decides to retire, if not he keeps going), Chugg, Ruscoe, Roughead, Madgen, WHE, Ginnivan
2023 - Bianco, T Brown, C Brown, Cox

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to agree with others on Pendles. He is still contributing at a level that would have him as a best three mid at almost every club league wide (WB the only one I’d definitely say no). I think though that as the year progresses he needs to start spending more time outside the engine room and on the flanks. It’s for both his and the clubs benefit. OP missed Brown x 2 and it’s also a rehashing of discussions that are currently being had across all threads.

It's 1999 all over again.

When MM started, he pretty much gutted our list over two seasons ... and then we made two GFs (because Shaw played nothing but kids in 99).

This year has to be about what kids we think are going to be part of the future ... Wrighty needs to make sure that's the focus.

We also have no first round this year - the year we're going to finish low on the ladder, effectively handing GWS a top draft pick (damn me we're so incompetent - how about Wrighty sacks the list management crew first, starting with Ned Guy?). We're going to need to trade out to get a decent pick.

When MM started, he pretty much gutted our list over two seasons ... and then we made two GFs (because Shaw played nothing but kids in 99).

This year has to be about what kids we think are going to be part of the future ... Wrighty needs to make sure that's the focus.

We also have no first round this year - the year we're going to finish low on the ladder, effectively handing GWS a top draft pick (damn me we're so incompetent - how about Wrighty sacks the list management crew first, starting with Ned Guy?). We're going to need to trade out to get a decent pick.
We do have a first round pick, Daicos. I don’t agree with how we traded it, but people keep saying “we don’t have a first rounder” Daicos ain’t free, he is that first rounder.

We are not in the luxurious position to get rid of guys like Pendles, Sidebottom, Sier, Roughead, Cox, Keane. Not this year, or next.

Surely by seasons end we can farewell Mayne and Greenwood as obvious retirements.

WHE, Thomas, Madgen, Tohill, Wilson, Ruscoe, C.Brown, all need to prove their worth this year otherwise trade or delist if possible.

We are not in the luxurious position to get rid of guys like Pendles, Sidebottom, Sier, Roughead, Cox, Keane. Not this year, or next.

Surely by seasons end we can farewell Mayne and Greenwood as obvious retirements.

WHE, Thomas, Madgen, Tohill, Wilson, Ruscoe, C.Brown, all need to prove their worth this year otherwise trade or delist if possible.
Tohill is doing well in VFL. Could be a handy and cheap roughy replacement eventually He def stays

Pendlebury? Nah....

He should stay.

Buckley has simply utterly failed to develop a single midfielder in his 10 years as a senior coach (Treloar and Adams were pinched), so that's why he has to rely on a 33yo to carry the midfield. Any other coach with half a brain would've moved him to the backline ala Hodge or something a few years ago.

Excluding father sons, we haven’t drafted a gun midfielder since Beams (13 years), nor a gun key position player since Reid (15 years). Our drafting is basically flankers and utility players only.... it is diabolical, along with our list management and coaching.

Off topic, but Tony doesn’t get enough credit for that. Certainly had his own ideas that he tried to implement in the first couple of years but was left a list gutted by Mathews. Saw the writing on the wall and did the best for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back