Analysis These Violent Delights have Violent Ends - Tactical Mayhem and Sacred Cows

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice analysis, always seems like our forward line is flooded and there is no space while the oppositions fwd 50 is nice and open, always frustrates me when they rebound and get easy goals while we just bomb it long due to no targets.

Why dont we hit up leads or free players just out side the 50 that kick long goals? Players like Yeo, Darling, Gov, Hurn and Wellingham it would force opposition players out of the 50 and create space for JK.
Part of our game plan is to get the ball into our forward half and lock it in there to generate repeat forward 50 entries, especially at subi. When it works it means play is predominantly at our end creating congestion there and an open forward line for our opposition

Means that if sides break through into their forward half we can concede easy goals. Also underlines the importance of Naitanui to get the ball going our way from the centre

Players kicking goals from outside 50 would definitely free up space i50. We are clearly a club that doesn't kick many from the 60m range from running mids/backmen coming up. Sometime we just play the percentages too much which can make us predictable to defend.
Yeah they should try it, shouldn't be as hard to find a target around the 50 m line and if its a point just set up and lock it in.

probably just as much chance of a goal from outside 50 as a pack mark or crumbing goal in congestion.

This post finally gave me an understanding of how our zone setup works, so I've been watching for it today. You're right - when implemented, we force the ball to the wings and eventually to an intercept or a 50/50 contest at worst. When our ball skills are on song, and they are today, we look very, very good. The only question is how we can adapt to the Bulldogs and other teams that have stronger midfields, it will be interesting to see. I hope we carry on with this form!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back