Strategy Things are starting to get interesting.

Roo Lives Again

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Finally, someone who gets it - someone actually capable of thinking about the implications on team structure. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that we'll play all of Rutten, Talia, Hartigan & Otten at the same time. That back line is too tall and way too slow. Crouch for Reilly would require a bit of a reshuffle, but is entirely feasible and could well eventuate.

It's not going to take anyone being "out of form". It might not be popular with BigFooty, but VB is an automatic selection and will come straight back into the side when he's ready (having probably spent 2-3 games in the SANFL getting himself match fit). If that requires another player to be dropped, then that will happen. Odds are that he will just fill a vacancy created by injury.

If it comes down to a choice between VB, Kerridge & Wright, VB will be an automatic selection and one of Kerridge & Wright will miss out, subject to their relative performance levels at the time.
Which is crap

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They have also beaten Blues, Lions and Us. 1 win between all 3 of us
They also beat WC last night, a team who was held goalless for 3 quarters last week. They (WC) aren't much chop and Port got some dubious umpiring decisions go their way last night, especially in the last 10 minutes
Its not like Port have beaten anyone who will finish top 8 yet. Once they do that, then i'll pay attention a bit more. No doubt they have more higher picks on their list, but there's good reason for that. They were very, very s**t
Now they're ok. When they play the Cats next week, that'll be the first real test for them
Glenno ... on paper, what you say seems correct. Looking deeper though, 1] Port have a poor record at Etihad, and to play a finalist from last year away at Etihad for your first game ... no gimme! 2] To then play the Crows in a Showdown is like a finals match, regardless of form, any side can win ... tough match! 3] Then to backup against an angry North ... Arguably one that got away! 4] The manner in which we beat Brisbane, who missed out on finals last year by one kick ... significant! 5] West Coast were looking sinister in their first three outings, unanimously being touted potential top-4. Playing them in Perth alway a tough gig regardless ... Huge win! To say that Port has had no "real test" is just crazy!

Having said all of the above, the games against Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo, and even Collingwood, will be hugely significant. Not even a one-eyed Port supporter surely expects Port to win them all. Conversely, even a one-eyed Port hater, would (or should) automatically dismiss Port because of a loss to any of these! Win or lose, it will come down to the manner in which they play.

Ps ... I am a mad Port lover, but I am also not a Crows hater! I feel a strong Port and a strong Crows, is good for Adelaide, and good for football! I immensely dislike the small minded supporters on both sides that continually find the need to validate their own side, by denigrating the other! That being said there is always a place for light hearted banter, but that should always be tempered by respect! When the Crows play, I do want them to win if I pick them in my footytips, otherwise I am largely ambivalent to their results ... that is, unless the Crows losing improves Port's position on the ladder. A view I have for all teams, and expect their supporters to have for Port. Otherwise, all the best for the season, and as they say in the classics, may the best team win!;)

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Glenno ... on paper, what you say seems correct. Looking deeper though, 1] Port have a poor record at Etihad, and to play a finalist from last year away at Etihad for your first game ... no gimme! 2] To then play the Crows in a Showdown is like a finals match, regardless of form, any side can win ... tough match! 3] Then to backup against an angry North ... Arguably one that got away! 4] The manner in which we beat Brisbane, who missed out on finals last year by one kick ... significant! 5] West Coast were looking sinister in their first three outings, unanimously being touted potential top-4. Playing them in Perth alway a tough gig regardless ... Huge win! To say that Port has had no "real test" is just crazy!

Having said all of the above, the games against Geelong, Hawthorn, Freo, and even Collingwood, will be hugely significant. Not even a one-eyed Port supporter surely expects Port to win them all. Conversely, even a one-eyed Port hater, would (or should) automatically dismiss Port because of a loss to any of these! Win or lose, it will come down to the manner in which they play.

Ps ... I am a mad Port lover, but I am also not a Crows hater! I feel a strong Port and a strong Crows, is good for Adelaide, and good for football! I immensely dislike the small minded supporters on both sides that continually find the need to validate their own side, by denigrating the other! That being said there is always a place for light hearted banter, but that should always be tempered by respect! When the Crows play, I do want them to win if I pick them in my footytips, otherwise I am largely ambivalent to their results ... that is, unless the Crows losing improves Port's position on the ladder. A view I have for all teams, and expect their supporters to have for Port. Otherwise, all the best for the season, and as they say in the classics, may the best team win!;)

Thanks for a quality reply, but you need to look at who WC beat as well in their first 3 games.....

Bulldogs at home
Demons away
Saints at home

Not too hard to look sinister against those teams. Much like we did last week against the Saints, even though we're a tad average.

And who has had WC as top 4, let alone unanimously? The media over here (WA) faps all over them, even after they beat 3 average opponents, but that doesn't make them a good team

I'm not dismissing Port, as there is no doubt your brand of footy is much improved, but IMO, you are yet to have a real test. The hardest game you've had was NM and you lost that after leading for quite some time

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd like to think we give our returning players a couple of games at least in the SANFL before pushing for an AFL spot. To me this was one of the advantages of the reserves side so we could monitor and then bring back our players primed.

One of the conundrums of Otto and Walker coming back is where does this leave Truck...he may not, as much as it hurts to say be an automatic choice for us at the back. The day of Gorilla forwards is waining and we now have a few options available for us to cover the spots open. I still have the feeling when Walker finally comes back that Pods will swing between the forwards and defence as he is a mobile, defender who reads the play well.

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
This is a good thing. One thing we lack in genuine depth. If we are all healthy, for the last 5 spots in the team it will be a case of who ever makes the most of their opportunities will play. As such there might be quite a few unlucky ones playing well in SANFL but not getting an AFL game!

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
The manner in which we beat Brisbane, who missed out on finals last year by one kick ... significant! 5]

I'm not having a go at you here, and mean this in the most non-d*ckheaded way possible, but something like this is so often the difference between 'majority' of port and crows fans. If you consider a thrashing of a terrible Brisbane side at home to be a significant win, then surely you are mistaken. Your 'typical' port fans love to get ahead of themselves with victories exactly like this.

Brisbane are truly awful and are in for a looong 5 or so years. The fact that they even got close to finals last year shows just how bad other sides around that ladder position were IMO, and that includes us. A bottom 4 side for sure in 2014 you'd think.

Imo, apart from the renowned showdown, port have been up against average opposition. I do not trust the eagles just yet, and north always seem to get one on you, so it's very hard to judge. As a crows fan I eagerly await the next month or so of football for port as you have pointed out. It's really going to separate the men from the boys, as will seeing how port cope when injuries strike, as I think port have limited depth. Those are your 2 biggest upcoming challenges. Thrashing Brisbane proves two-tenths of **** all if I'm to be brutally honest.

And I will eagerly be awaiting our fixture against collingwood in round 9. I personally take very little away from our last two thrashings, albeit both sides showing significant improvement this season. We have still made plenty of disgusting turnovers in trying to execute this free flowing ball movement, and quite frankly I'm not convinced. The pies game will be the real test and I still tread with caution despite our 2 wins.

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks for a quality reply, but you need to look at who WC beat as well in their first 3 games.....
Bulldogs at home
Demons away
Saints at home
Not too hard to look sinister against those teams. Much like we did last week against the Saints, even though we're a tad average.
Once again, it was the manner of their victory! The Dogs have been widely tipped as a potential top-8, with a classy developing list. The Eagles crushed them! The same with Melbourne - but yes, they have shown up to be a basket case. But St Kilda have, & might continue to, surprise a few more fancied teams this year!
And who has had WC as top 4, let alone unanimously? The media over here (WA) faps all over them, even after they beat 3 average opponents, but that doesn't make them a good team
Sorry I cant be more specific, but commentators, footy show discussions & newspaper columnist, were all gushing over WCE after their first three wins, and with quality of the likes of Glass, Natanui & the like out ... there was some credibility to that.

Interestingly, looking back over 2013 and the first 5 games of 2014, people have lauded Port's recovery from its death spiral, without really believing they could go much further ... something they continued to do right through the the finals, and have continued on with in 2014. I have the opinion that people will still pat them on the head disbelievingly all through 2014 as well. I think Port are indeed the real deal, but I agree with you that the only way they will be able to dispel the disbelief is to beat the best.

As for Adelaide, they have a very interesting month ahead too. An "easy" game against Melbourne (if there is any such thing), two winnable games against the Dogs and Carlton (not certainties tho), and then also a tougher one against a proud Collingwood - Potentially season defining IMO .... The next month will reveal all for both clubs!

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Our best 22 forward line with Walker in it is pretty cracking. Walker is on par with Schulz if not has a bit more x factor than shulzy, We have Betts who can be just as damaging on the score board. Lynch is certainly no mugg in the forward line. Wright can get the ball. Jenkins has a little pizzazz about him. If you look at top 10 picks sure they certainly do have in theory more talent. But our best 22 is not a crap team and I think our best team can certainly match it with ports best. Our midfield is just as good on paper. If we are still playing crap and losing games after round 10 like we did in the first 3 rounds if our best 21 out of 22 players are available I will be the first to put my hand up and say we are crap and we need a change. Walker will certainly straighten us up in the forward line.
I think from now on in I considering you a port troll until proven otherwise

Tibbs

The Bearded ZERK!
Sep 9, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If you consider a thrashing of a terrible Brisbane side at home to be a significant win, then surely you are mistaken. Your 'typical' port fans love to get ahead of themselves with victories exactly like this..........Thrashing Brisbane proves two-tenths of **** all if I'm to be brutally honest .... Brisbane are truly awful and are in for a looong 5 or so years. The fact that they even got close to finals last year shows just how bad other sides around that ladder position were IMO, and that includes us. A bottom 4 side for sure in 2014 you'd think.
arruso, I totally disagree. Dont let your dislike of Port cloud your thinking. Brisbane have been more of a "basket case" off field, and their recruiting decisions starting with Fevola, have been diabolical! Then losing 5 young-guns in the off-season was crippling. Their list, however, has had great potential ... and their last half of 2013 was very good, culminating in that gripping last match against Geelong at Simonds, losing by 1 point - no mean feat. Now dont get all excited, thinking that we feel our thrashing of Brisbane in itself makes us so wonderfully awesome! By referring to the manner of the win, I am talking about that ruthless killer blow that good teams are able to deliver to lesser teams. This is something that Port supporter hated about Mark Williams, the continual "putting the cue in the rack"!! Port over the years have had a habit of easing off when they had the game won, resting the ace players etc. This over time seriously affected the team to the point that they were unable to finish off matches. To see Hinkley drive a ruthless message through the team demanding they keep going is something we havent seen before.

So yes, we see the Brisbane victory as very significant, only in a different way to what you think ... to us it represents an intangible, a symbolism of the change in the psyche of Port Adelaide.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
arruso, I totally disagree. Dont let your dislike of Port cloud your thinking. Brisbane have been more of a "basket case" off field, and their recruiting decisions starting with Fevola, have been diabolical! Then losing 5 young-guns in the off-season was crippling. Their list, however, has had great potential ... and their last half of 2013 was very good, culminating in that gripping last match against Geelong at Simonds, losing by 1 point - no mean feat. Now dont get all excited, thinking that we feel our thrashing of Brisbane in itself makes us so wonderfully awesome! By referring to the manner of the win, I am talking about that ruthless killer blow that good teams are able to deliver to lesser teams. This is something that Port supporter hated about Mark Williams, the continual "putting the cue in the rack"!! Port over the years have had a habit of easing off when they had the game won, resting the ace players etc. This over time seriously affected the team to the point that they were unable to finish off matches. To see Hinkley drive a ruthless message through the team demanding they keep going is something we havent seen before.

So yes, we see the Brisbane victory as very significant, only in a different way to what you think ... to us it represents an intangible, a symbolism of the change in the psyche of Port Adelaide.

there's definitely been a change in the psyche of port Adelaide - did you see Winguard's bottom lip quivering on Sat night. Embarrassing.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis

You do realise that Brisbane player without Rich, Leuenberger, Staker, Merrett, Hanley and Beams? Add in their youngsters they lost last year and having 6 players with less than 5 games.

Sep 16, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GO YOU CROW BOYS
there's definitely been a change in the psyche of port Adelaide - did you see Winguard's bottom lip quivering on Sat night. Embarrassing.
I normally don't buy into the port bashing... as much as I hate them. But that was very noticeable and made me laugh. Very loudly.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
its great to see players returning however we all have watched footy for long enough to know it is rare to have your best 22 available at any given time, injuries are a norm of the game

on Jpod, I can see us playing Tex, Jpod and JJ in the same side to ease the expectations on Tex

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

download.jpe

I cant even....

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
its great to see players returning however we all have watched footy for long enough to know it is rare to have your best 22 available at any given time, injuries are a norm of the game

on Jpod, I can see us playing Tex, Jpod and JJ in the same side to ease the expectations on Tex

You want to go from having a mosquito fleet of Wright, Betts and Petrenko alongside a resting midfielder teaming up with Pods and JJ...... to having Pods, JJ, Tex and Lynch in the side? o_O

Aug 12, 2004
Not in Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC, Arsenal
Watching Port beat West Coast and Geelong beat Hawthorn yesterday put s a bit of perspective on our season so far. Geelong are undefeated and Port are currently second on the ladder.

Our loss against Sydney is clearly our worst loss of the year so far.

Maybe we are not quite as bad as we were thinking. The season is still very much in the balance. We are building some nice momentum and look to be getting a bit better grasp of our game plan against some of the lesser teams.

The Collingwood game is going to tell us a lot more about where we are at.

skoobydoo

Premiership Player
Apr 3, 2012
Under the Southern Cross
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bite Basebal Crystal Brook Roosters
Watching Port beat West Coast and Geelong beat Hawthorn yesterday put s a bit of perspective on our season so far. Geelong are undefeated and Port are currently second on the ladder.

Maybe we are not quite as bad as we were thinking. The season is still very much in the balance. We are building some nice momentum and look to be getting a bit better grasp of our game plan against some of the lesser teams.

Yep. We need to show to all, and this includes the players for their confidence, that we have a rewarding forward game plan that gets us goals! Bombing kicks onto Betts double teamed etc is not a good look. And we need to show this in tough, tight, hard games that go to the wire, not against also rans.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona

I think this happens every year.

Reality is that from 2009 we are 6-25 against top four teams. That includes 2009 (1-7) and 2012 (1-4) which were our 'good' seasons.

Of course it is difficult to beat the top teams. But the reality is that we're miles off being a contender and have been for a long time.

We consistently get seduced by our performances against mid-table clubs and bottom clubs. We win a fair share of our home games. Always convince ourselves that we are only a couple of wins or a bit of bad luck away from contending.

amer

Cancelled
Nov 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think this happens every year.

Reality is that from 2009 we are 6-25 against top four teams. That includes 2009 (1-7) and 2012 (1-4) which were our 'good' seasons.

Of course it is difficult to beat the top teams. But the reality is that we're miles off being a contender and have been for a long time.

We consistently get seduced by our performances against mid-table clubs and bottom clubs. We win a fair share of our home games. Always convince ourselves that we are only a couple of wins or a bit of bad luck away from contending.

Culture.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
It was interesting hearing Cameron Mooney talk about the impact the club-wide review they had at the end of 2006 had on Geelong.

He hated it, it was unpleasant, embarrassing, very awkward for Thompson... but he said it was exactly what they needed. It was a turning point for the club. They brought in Leading Teams following the review. It was what started to turn the collection of talented players into a team that led the competition. Players who had coasted previously (he used Ablett as an example) were no longer able to.

Bailey01

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Tennis
Defense:
B: Brown Rutten/Hartigan Shaw
HB: Smith Talia Jaensch
I: Otten
Otten rotates in the forward line and down back.
Laird plays as a defensive forward.
Hartigan plays when match ups don't suit Truck.
Shaw plays as thrid tall defender.
Smith rotates through wing and half back.

Midfield:
C: Sloane Thompson Mackay
R: Jacobs Dangerfield B. Crouch
I: Grigg Laird
Danger rotates through midfield and full forward.
Kerridge rotates through tagging role if needed and as a forward target.
Douglas rotates through midfield and half forward.
Grigg plays half forward if needed.
M. Crouch always pushing for a spot.

Forward:
HF: Douglas Jenkins Lynch
F: Betts Walker Kerridge
I: Wright

Podsiadly will make way for Tex.
Lynch plays high half forward going up to the wing to give an outlet.
Wright rotates through midfield and forward line.
Petrenko pushing for a spot.

Back