Review Things I learnt about Footy in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

(....psst....psssst... it was shits and giggles at KT. Now stfu)

You should come to Perth for our game at the new stadium in 2018, I can protect you from people.

I'd really like for you to go through what elements of fair actually remain?

Fixturing - nope
Umpiring - nope (3 field umpires bakes in different points of view)
MRP - nope as proven this week
Media - nope it's all where the biggest or easiest story is. Consistent content is still content even if it's rubbish.

Fair and AFL are not something that go hand in hand.

Well at least they didn't force certain clubs to play at Etihad on a massive loser deal, and other clubs were hardly affected at all which is financial equality.

Oh, hang on a sec.......

So yes that is true. The more the years go on the more I can understand why so many people have become disenfranchised, and end up being more engaged in local leagues instead.

Based on your normal expectation of what a completed stadium 'should' look like.

Figs, no jam. Unless there be jammin' on the hill, mon.

Welllllll..........there is a strange aroma wafting in the breeze on the hill usually.

And it's not the cumulative stench of the great unwashed.

It would be silly for the MCG to be empty and crowds locked out of games regularly just to make finals a bit fairer, though.

Yeah. Its the perfect stadium for AFL. But it could be strictly neutral and host a couple of games every week evenly spread among teams from across the comp. You could host interstate teams there and that would give both sides an opportunity to play there and still maintain some of the interstate home ground advantage for the Vic side. Then it could also be a neutral ground in Victoria for finals but still a home ground advantage against interstate teams which is the main advantage given by home finals anyway.

You'd probably end up with a similar result to the Geelong v Richmond final anyway in terms of crowd advantage (in terms of fairness that should have been played in Geelong both for ground familiarity, fairer crowd and making the lower ranked team travel to another city for the game.) But technically it'd be a fair draw. And it wouldn't have the home ground familiarity advantage cos all teams would play around the same number of games per year there. Except the interstate ones but they gain a greater potential home ground advantage in finals so it (kind of) evens out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back