Movie Things I learnt from and movie trivia

Remove this Banner Ad

May as well watch number 2, it's half as good as the first but still way better than the crap that followed.

- Whatā€™s most interesting about Halloween II is how it literally picks up the minute where Halloween leaves off. A wounded Michael Myers wanders off to recover, later tracking down Laurie at the local hospital. It made Michaelā€™s original killing spree that much more horrific, with the boogeyman brutally murdering many more innocent people before that same Halloween night was over.

- Following the release of the film, Carpenter has expressed his regret in making the pair siblings. The twist was not initially part of the plan and was added to the screenplay during the writing process. Carpenter describes the decision as ā€œpurely as a function of having decided to become involved in the sequel to the movie where I didnā€™t think there was really much of a story left.ā€ It seems the biggest issue is the reveal takes away the mystery behind Michaelā€™s motivations, which are scarier when left unexplained.

- When Rick Rosenthal came on board as the filmā€™s director, he sought to do the 1978 original justice. Inspired by its method of focusing on suspense over nudity and gore, Rosenthal had directed a version of the film which was much lighter on the extreme content. This worried Carpenter, who was concerned the film wouldnā€™t be as scary unless some changes were made to make it more extreme. Much to Rosenthalā€™s chagrin, Carpenter reshot several scenes for the film, adding some of the more graphic content. This highly upset Rosenthal, who would later say Carpenterā€™s changes ā€œruinedā€ the pacing of his version of the film.

- The film is set immediately after the first Halloween 1978. Since Jamie Lee Curtis had begun to wear a much shorter hairstyle in the 1980s, she had to wear a wig that matched her original hairstyle for the film.

- The mask Michael wears is the exact same mask (a repainted and modified Captain Kirk mask) worn in the original film. It looks different in the sequel because the paint had faded due to a few reasons, first because Nick Castle, the original Michael, kept it in his back pocket during shoots. Also, Debra Hill kept the mask under her bed for several years until the filming of Halloween II, causing it to collect dust and yellow because Hill was a heavy smoker. Also, the mask appears wider because Dick Warlock is shorter and stockier than Nick Castle, so the mask fit his head differently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched The 40-year old Virgin tho last night:

The entire "You Know How I Know You're Gay" scene was improvised by Paul Rudd and Seth Rogen.

The scene where Andy has his chest hair removed required five cameras set up for the shot. Steve Carell's chest hair was actually ripped out in the scene. Carell had told director Judd Apatow just before shooting the scene, "It has to be real. It won't be as funny if it's mocked up, or if it's special effect. You have to see that this is really happening." For obvious reasons, the scene had to be done in one shot.

The "beautiful old Guatemalan love song" sung by Javier to Paula translates to: "When I clean my room/I can't find anything/Where are you going in such a hurry/To the soccer game." Jane Lynch has told several interviewers that these "lyrics" were really a practice dialogue that she remembered from a high school Spanish class.

:laughv1::laughv1::laughv1:

The studio claimed that they thought Steve Carell looked like a serial killer. In response, "Steve decided the character would be a little more Buster Keaton-esque," according to Judd Apatow. "He was low-energy and everyone else was spinning around him." Lines were also written (and improvised) making fun of the fact that Andy could be confused for a serial killer.

During the waxing scene, the actress playing the waxer almost ripped Steve Carell's nipple off (she didn't realize you're supposed to coat the nipples in Vaseline prior to waxing). Fortunately for the actor, director Judd Apatow realized what was happening and yelled "cut!" just in time.

Leslie Mann came up with the idea to throw up on Andy's face. The original plan was that Nicky (Leslie Mann) and Andy (Steve Carell) were to be pulled over by the police, and it would turn out that Nicky was concealing a gun under her seat the whole time. Mann insisted that her vomiting on Andy would be a funnier conclusion to the scene, so she gulped down a mix of strawberry yogurt and "some kind of kefir."

Platoon is a favourite film of mine, though the village scene is hard to watch. First watched waaay too young as a kid as well.

The Vietnamese child that Kevin Dillon and Charlie Sheen shoot at had cataracts, but his family was too poor to pay for treatment. Reportedly, Dillon and Sheen felt so bad about this that they pooled money together so that the boy could have surgery.

Oliver Stone considered casting Johnny Depp for the lead role of Private Chris Taylor, but Depp was too young for the part, and unknown at the time. Stone said that Depp would someday become a huge star, and is thus one of the first filmmakers who introduced Johnny Depp to Hollywood

All of the actors had to endure a harsh fourteen-day boot camp in the Philippines before the shooting of the film commenced. The actors were given military haircuts, were required to stay in character throughout the camp, ate only military rations, were not allowed to shower or use toilets, had to carry real weight, slept in the jungle, and even had rotations for night watch. Military adviser Dale Dye also simulated several combat situations to teach the actors how to respond under intense stress, and had many conversations with the cast about PTSS and the sensation of being shot.

A couple of great quotes.

'Course Mom and Dad didn't want me coming here. They wanted me to be just like them - respectable, hard-working, a little house, a family. They drove me crazy with their God damned world, Grandma; you know Mom. I guess I've always been sheltered and special; I just wanna be anonymous like everybody else - do my share for my country. Live up to what Grandpa did in the first world war, and Dad did in the second.

Well, here I am; anonymous, all right. With guys nobody really cares about. They come from the end of the line, most of them, small towns you've never heard of; Pulaski, Tenessee; Brandon, Missippi; Pork Bend, Utah; Wampum, Pennsylvania. Two years high school's about it. Maybe if they're lucky, a job waiting for them back at a factory, but most of them got nothin'. They're poor, they're the unwanted, yet they're fighting for our society and our freedom. It's weird, isn't it? They're the bottom of the barrel, and they know it. Maybe that's why they call themselves "grunts" 'cause a grunt can take it - can take anything. They're the best I've ever seen, Grandma; the heart and soul. But maybe I've finally found it, way down here in the mud. Maybe from down here I can start up again - be something I can be proud of without having to fake it; be a fake human being. Maybe I can see something I don't yet see or learn something I don't yet know. I miss you. I miss you very much. Tell mom I miss her, too. - Chris"

"I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days as I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called possession of my soul. There are times since, I've felt like the child born of those two fathers. But, be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again, to teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back