Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked the fixture and there are two games on tomorrow at 4.35pm EDST and none any earlier. There are also two night games, one at 7.05 and one at 7.25. What's that about? Surely one of the twilight games should be on at 2pm.

Just spotted that now myself. Vale the traditional Saturday arvo match.

Never understood the love for satdy afternoon footy. Sure there should be at least one game playing but in general I think it's outdated.

Sent from mTalk

Agreed - dates back to a time when shops shut at 1pm on a Saturday

As a kid growing up there was a routine to weekends with Saturday footy that can no longer be replicated

Junior footy Saturday morning, listen to the VFL game on the radio driving to the WAFL game, watch the WAFL in the afternoon. Had Sunday afternoon footy when I was older and always watched the winners on Sunday night

It was a rhythm to winter that defined my childhood and I suspect many others my age so there'll always be a warm and fuzzy feel to a Saturday afternoon game even if now I prefer watching games on Friday and Saturday nights

I have a mate that very rarely dresses up. Last week we went out, me out jeans, shoes, and a band tee, but him in a black wifebeater, track shorts and thongs.

I don't care, but from outside perspective it was rather slobbish.

Sent from mTalk

Agreed - dates back to a time when shops shut at 1pm on a Saturday

Yep, and in a time when the AFL is trying to make itself as accessible as possible, competing with amateur sports and when more people work during those hours than ever before.

It's outdated from both sides.

Sent from mTalk

Never understood the love for satdy afternoon footy. Sure there should be at least one game playing but in general I think it's outdated.

Sent from mTalk

Standard Saturday during footy season on Fox is a game at 11.40, a game at 2.40 and a game at 5.40 - all WST. Usually there's one on 12.10 and 5.20 also on one of the other channels. It's a pretty deliberate schedule.

If there are two day games on why would have them head to head? I mean we have Thursday footy, Friday footy, twilight footy, Monday footy... the AFL has invented more broadcast slots than there are games per week yet the original 2pm Saturday timeslot is empty so there can be two games at 430. Doesn't make sense to me.

I like Saturday arvo footy for our away games because it means our games are usually on at midday in Perth, or earlier if it's a 1pm game or daylight savings is still in. I think tomorrow's game is at 10am or something. Gives you plenty of time afterwards to do stuff.

Standard Saturday during footy season on Fox is a game at 11.40, a game at 2.40 and a game at 5.40 - all WST. Usually there's one on 12.10 and 5.20 also on one of the other channels. It's a pretty deliberate schedule.

If there are two day games on why would have them head to head? I mean we have Thursday footy, Friday footy, twilight footy, Monday footy... the AFL has invented more broadcast slots than there are games per week yet the original 2pm Saturday timeslot is empty so there can be two games at 430. Doesn't make sense to me.

I like Saturday arvo footy for our away games because it means our games are usually on at midday in Perth, or earlier if it's a 1pm game or daylight savings is still in. I think tomorrow's game is at 10am or something. Gives you plenty of time afterwards to do stuff.
I think it was answered above; the Women's Grand Final is being given priority for today.

Sent from mTalk

Saturday afternoon footy is the best :thumbsu: I hate night matches and rarely attend them. I find it harder to see at night and it takes me ages to get home which means I'm rarely home before midnight, not a lot of fun standing in the cold and rain at night at a tram stop. Can be absolutely freezing at the G on a Melbourne winter's night too. Would rather go to the footy in the afternoon and do something else in the evening.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saturday night 5:40 or 6:40 are the best games to go to in Perth. Late enough people can come from work if they work on Saturdays and it finishes early enough for a few beers after the game.
5.30pm Saturday night is easily my favourite footy time-slot.

I don't understand why getting caught with your fly down once in a blue moon should cause more than the mildest embarrassment.

There'd have to be a few more significant wardrobe malfunctions occur for your old fella to be in any danger of falling out, so who really cares?

I don't understand why getting caught with your fly down once in a blue moon should cause more than the mildest embarrassment.

There'd have to be a few more significant wardrobe malfunctions occur for your old fella to be in any danger of falling out, so who really cares?

It was real funny back in the day when an emergency teacher had his down one day though ha ha

^^^this LOSER got caught with his fly down and is talking himself into thinking its not a HUGE deal

Can't actually remember the last time I was 'caught'. Admittedly, the last couple of times I've been flying low, I've actually caught myself and considered how long it's been since I went to the loo, had a shower or whatever to be walking around like that. But again, I don't understand why it should be such a HUGE deal, compared to say, having your shirt tail hanging out, or wearing odd socks or some other minor wardrobe faux pas.

It's my twenty year theory. Fashion repeats every twentyyears or so. We're revisiting the mid 90s at the moment which is cool with me, it was an altogether more optimistic place back then.

You're to blame when Emo fashion returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back