Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Gun II. The only good thing about the first one was Tom Cruise in his tighty whities, and seeing as age hasn't been that kind to him, I doubt he'd be able to pull that look off now, so I don't really see the point of making the film.
Top Gun was a product of its time and it's really cringeworthy to watch now.

Unless they massively shift the tone of the movie it'll be horrible. If Tom Cruise can reinvent the role in the same way Clint Eastwood did for westerns in Unforgiven then it might be worth looking at

Top Gun was a product of its time and it's really cringeworthy to watch now.

Unless they massively shift the tone of the movie it'll be horrible. If Tom Cruise can reinvent the role in the same way Clint Eastwood did for westerns in Unforgiven then it might be worth looking at
My bet is he'll have a son, and they'll have "issues".

The fact that he's like 5'7" makes his entire personality seem like a massive overcompensation.

They disguised his lack of height really well back in the day, at the time I had no idea he was that short! Since his Top Gun days he's said a lot of weird things though which also alters my opinion of him somewhat.

He's a great actor, all that is really important for me.
Is he?

The vast majority of his roles are as a brash, arrogant, self confident alpha male much like is real life persona

Seems good at playing himself

I can't say I've liked many of Tom Cruise's films but I generally don't like the sort of mindless action films he stars in like the Mission Impossible films.

That new film of his The Mummy just looks like more of the same sort of dross, light on storyline and originality and heavy on action and cool stunts.

He's good at what he does but I wouldn't call him a great actor though as he's pretty much a one trick pony always playing the good looking action hero.

Great actors like Daniel Day Lewis can play a variety of different roles and lose themselves in the character, with Tom Cruise you're always aware it's him.

Tom Cruise cops a lot of flak for his personality (rightly so) but generally puts in good performances. That said, he doesn't like to veer too far from his preferred range, which is why the Mummy reboot looks more like the latest instalment of Mission Impossible.

I don't understand how the meaning of the word "humbled" or "humbling"has somehow got flipped around. It seems to only be used these days when people win awards or honours, which I would think is the exact opposite of what "humbled" is supposed to mean.

I don't understand how the meaning of the word "humbled" or "humbling"has somehow got flipped around. It seems to only be used these days when people win awards or honours, which I would think is the exact opposite of what "humbled" is supposed to mean.
They're trying to come across as polite/modest/imply that they weren't expecting such recognition

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When used in that context, it's usually to imply that receiving the award made them look around at their peers who they believe are 'more worthy' and made them realise that they are not as special as the award would suggest. That said, it's just a humblebrag, acknowledging others while pointing out the you, in fact, won.

Re: ATAR/TEE scores- I can't remember the last time I asked someone what they got, but I seem to get asked that question every now and then, even though it has been years since I finished highschool /uni . Those same people seem to be taken aback and/or in disbelief if I'm completely honest /reveal that I got 99.95 , so instead I'm vague and say *somewhere in the 90s*. (most people in my field got similar marks anyway, so the people who ask tend to be people from other fields.....)

I got a better score than that.

Last edited:
He doesn't exactly have a huge range but cool that he takes on his own stunts. Still one of the most bankable stars which is impressive considering his age and preferred genre.

Yeah his action stuff is watchable and entertaining at least. The Jack Reacher films have been pretty good, along with the Mission Impossible series. It's the kind of stuff that's fun to watch on the big screen. There might not be any great character acting or emotional depth, but you generally don't leave the cinema feeling like you've wasted your money or had your intelligence insulted completely either.

He's a great actor, all that is really important for me.

Fair enough. I suppose I was meaning that whether I found him attractive or not was somewhat affected by his personality as it has manifested itself of recent times. I agree, he's a good actor.

Is he?

The vast majority of his roles are as a brash, arrogant, self confident alpha male much like is real life persona

Seems good at playing himself

He's good... YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back