Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to be on a full license for 3 years, no convictions, etc.
And your car needs to be no older than 5 years.
Well that answered the question he didn't ask...

Does anyone make anything out of being an Uber driver?

Fares are low, you have to supply your own car and the company takes 25%.

If you just do say 5 hours each on Friday and Saturday nights is it worth it?

*not becoming an Uber driver. Don't particularly like driving, or people.

I've got a couple of Uber driver clients-he makes about $5000 a month after tax and before expenses.
There's some figures for you to work with.
He qualifies as an Uber Black driver as well so he can charge higher fares I Believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy s**t.

They battle scenes are incredibly well choreographed and brilliantly filmed, its piss easy to follow what is happening and what each character is up to. I can't understand how anyone would be unable to do so.

It's funny how at the time LotR was seen as the devil for its length, and now every second movie is pushing two and a half hours. Heck the latest Transformers is pushing three!

Lord Of The Rings though, am I right guys??

Sent from mTalk
Except I'm consistent on that; the length of tentpole movies is generally absurd and reflects and overblown sense of the film's scope and importance. That's not to say many of them can't be quite good: The Dark Knight, Civil War both push two-and-a-half hours and are pretty damn good. The question is, how much better could some of them be with some more judicious editing? Also, LOTR is not pushing three hours, it's nine ******* hours...and some people want the extended cuts to take it to a nice even 12 :eek:

So you're more of a Driving Miss Daisy kinda guy?
Who doesn't love Morgan Freeman's dulcet tones.

No, I like Star Wars, comic book movies, as well as dramas, comedies etc. I realise I'm probably in the minority, though not completely; there are plenty of people that don't rate LOTR.

No, I like Star Wars, comic book movies, as well as dramas, comedies etc. I realise I'm probably in the minority, though not completely; there are plenty of people that don't rate LOTR.

I'd be one of them, I find all that fantasy stuff pretty tedious, same goes for sci fi, I liked the original Star Wars trilogy but that's not your typical sci fi stuff.

Uber drivers don't find out your destination until they arrive to pick you up. Sometimes there can be a bit of lag with their data/gps if you jump straight into the car as they pull up. So instead of waiting for the destination to load on their phone, they just ask you so as to get the info sooner.

Fair enough, now it's a thing i understand!

Serious answer is the more you earn the more you spend. In the vast majority of cases someone who earns $60k then goes up to $80k will adjust their spending habits accordingly. It's human nature.
Yep, buy the bigger house, buy the slightly nice car, send the kids to a better school. I mean, these are the rewards of getting paid more, but then people can feel like they under the same stress as the lower paid, without taking into account the benefits they are enjoying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on your definition of 'doing well'. You have to pay the Medicare levy if you earn more than about $30k. Hardly high roller territory.

A Medicare levy of $2000 works back to an income of $150,000 and that's nothing to sneeze at, but I think people get carried away thinking that sort of salary provides a life of caviar and servants. You have older kids don't you? You need a second job just to feed those!

If you earn $150k you pay $43k in income tax plus $3k in Medicare levy plus $2k in Medicare levy surcharge if you don't have private health cover. These are round numbers, but it tallies to just over $48k which is a lot of money to be earning and never seeing.

On top of that you pay the 10% GST, any applicable import duties etc. like everyone else whenever you buy anything. If you buy a car or house you pay transfer duties (I bought a second hand car last year and it cost me over $1000 in govt fees - for what???). Once you own a car, you pay about $1000 a year in rego and insurance. For every litre of fuel you use you pay 38c in excise, so another $500-1000 for the average person in a year. Once you own a house, you pay $1000+ in council rates plus a similar amount in water rates. Realistically you're paying an extra $5,000 at the absolute minimum in extra taxes on top of income tax and Medicare levies. And that's totally separate to things like power and water where you pay a govt entity for a service.

Our tax system is so out of whack IMO. The 'upper middle' (if that's a thing) are getting stung more than ever. I didn't grow up in a wealthy family (we weren't poor or anything, just an average 80s/90s Aussie family as I saw it) but today I reckon we'd be taking at least some money back out of the tax system and that's mental. Too much money going to those who don't need it, too little going to those who do and too many complicated loopholes for those who should be contributing the most.

In the field that I work, I'm just happy to have a roof over my head and enough to feed and clothe my family - everything else is a bonus

I come from a family of 6 kids with a household income of under 3 figures. Why are so many struggling on $150,000?.

Why does everyone have to be struggling or living the high life? There's a lot of middle ground.

A SINK in their 20s earning $100k is probably better off than their equivalent with a stay at home wife and kids earning $150k.

Wow. People are worried about robots stealing our jobs, but here we have a sink earning 100k a year?
Bloody hell mate, racist much? Nothing wrong with these guys.
cricket-circa-1977-bishen-singh-bedi-northamptonshire-and-india-spin-picture-id78980175

Bloody hell mate, racist much? Nothing wrong with these guys.
cricket-circa-1977-bishen-singh-bedi-northamptonshire-and-india-spin-picture-id78980175
Nothing wrong at all. Other than the fact it looks like he is a cricketer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back