Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I know it's always been considered "rude" and footy players would cop a slap on the wrist and a fine for sticking it up at some bottom feeders from the opposition cheer squad after kicking a goal, but when did the middle finger become as bad as dropping a c-bomb in public? It's probably more in the states, but they seriously do that blurry thing over it every time someone does it on TV (which only serves to draw more attention to it and since everyone knows why the hand is being blurred, it seems kind of pointless to me to do it. I've always found it kind of a funny thing (the sort of tut tut rude things that were still ok to do to your parents and some of your teachers - admittedly you'd pick the right ones that liked a bit of banter) and I can't say I've ever met someone that would legitimately get offended at seeing the finger.

It should be noted that I see it happen on Sportscenter and stuff where a player will swear on the court (inaudibly) and they'll blur out his mouth when he says it. It's laughable, I think.

And since I have nothing more to add:

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Why Facebook/Media Outlets/Social Media doesn't just send out a Congartaltory message to all its members stating:
If you had sex last moth at least once: "Congratulations."

Saves on the endless pregnancy updates/ruminations/dramas.

We get it it's special to you. But ultimately all you have done is had a shag (hopefully a good one). Something any half fit can do and billions have done.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
the evidence is clear, inept drivers reverse park

I always reverse in to busy car parks (e.g. shopping centres), unless there's no other option and 90%+, I do it in one go. Rationale is it's easier to reverse into an empty stationary space than it is into (possible) oncoming traffic. It doesn't save any time, it just transfers the time you save going in to extra time going out.

So, I'm confused as to how people running or cycling an exorbitant amount, raises money for charity?

Can someone explain this?

So, I'm confused as to how people running or cycling an exorbitant amount, raises money for charity?

I'm assuming they collect donations to get them to do it.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
It's easier these days because you don't have to raise money any more, just "awareness". And Facebook likes.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Why do people reverse park into parking spaces? It always takes them at least 3 goes back and forward then back and forward and back and forward, while they hold up the rest of the people trying to park.

It takes me zero seconds to park. I just drive straight in. Then it never takes me more than one go to reverse out.

Whenever I see it I always think "look at this guy :rolleyes:", especially if they've got a big car or a 4WD. Just something about people turning simple tasks into a big production that seems w*nkerish.

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton

I have a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer this year, at the age of 23. She has gone through a double mastectomy, chemo and radiotherapy. She joined the Great Bicycle Challenge 6 weeks ago and has already raised over $4k...for children's cancer charities. She's not even doing it for herself.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
why do i suddenly miss high school
all of a sudden
I've only recently finished, didn't give two shits when I finished, just felt like I was on a prolonged holiday.

But a year later and this year seeing younger people I know finish, I've felt the same way. By the end of school I was despising the regular routine of early starts, packed bus rides, and being pissed off at flog teachers who have been at the school for way too long. For me though I managed to make more friends in high school as I got older, so only being able to see your mates once a week or sometimes not for weeks/months sucks. Stuffing around with mates and not having to worry about a lot of outside world problems was great when you look back at things. Everyone is way more serious about things in the outside world, and in my case I'll never be able to spend every day at the same place with people I get along with. Uni and work just aren't the same.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
People getting married very young, at the age of 21 or something similar. Have had three people at my workplace do it now in the past few years and I just don't get it. I understand that you might be deeply attached to someone and want to commit to a relationship with them for the rest of your life, but doing it so young just seems silly and naive.

I'm 20 and couldn't imagine getting married next year, even if I found someone in the meantime. Just committing to something so serious at that age when you're barely out of school, most likely poor as and still likely to have little understanding of where you want to be in life.

My grandparents got married at that age, and by the time I was around they could barely stand each other.

Especially if you end up having kids soon after, just seems pretty silly to be putting yourself under so much stress from a young age, when you're likely to have only been studying almost your entire life.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
26 a bit more appropriate, although I know a few people that age and they're barely removed from the uni/travel phase of their life, hardly ready to settle down. Also know some who are settling in with their lives.

Just don't understand the rush to do things so quickly.

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
If a spot is easier to drive into, I drive into it.

If a spot is easier to reverse into, I reverse into it. That feel when you get to the car and can drive straight out is sweet too.

If people don't, it's because they can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back