Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
I see where you're coming from. I have no intention to get a luxury or a fancy car even though I can probably already afford one and I'll definitely be able to afford one in the future- I'm not a car person in that regard. I just want a decent 25k-40k one with good bluetooth/a reverse camera etc. Not fussed about how it looks on the outside, but I would love those extra features. I intend to get about 200,000km from my Toyota Yaris though before even considering the switch though. For the time being, I'm enjoying not having to worry about things like scratches or being hit.
Yeah I srsly considered a brand new car for a short while- more in the 25k range, definitely not 40k. Was happy with the 17K Ford i got in the end, with 4,500 kms on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
25k is a lot off the mortgage
Agreed. I'll definitely have paid mine off well before then though :)

And Shell - I only put 40k in there because I'd be prepared to spend that much for a good SUV. I loved the one we hired in Tassie, despite never having driven one or considered one prior to that.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
If you DGAF about cars and don't need to ferry around multiple children then you're best off with a relatively late model small car. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service, has most basic modern features (maybe not Italian leather and woodgrain but air con, Bluetooth etc.) and will be pretty reliable.

Shell

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Geelong
Agreed. I'll definitely have paid mine off well before then though :)

And Shell - I only put 40k in there because I'd be prepared to spend that much for a good SUV. I loved the one we hired in Tassie, despite never having driven one or considered one prior to that.
Yeah all good. Was not meant to be critical or anything.

Fwiw i think my cousin is mad to spend that money on the Merc- but its his life, his loan he has to pay off.

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps

Fwiw i think my cousin is mad to spend that money on the Merc- but its his life, his loan he has to pay off.
I have friends who have spent big bucks on brand new semi-luxury cars- but it just seems so stressful. The slightest scratch would be devastating.

If you DGAF about cars and don't need to ferry around multiple children then you're best off with a relatively late model small car. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service, has most basic modern features (maybe not Italian leather and woodgrain but air con, Bluetooth etc.) and will be pretty reliable.
Haha not fussed about Italian leather and woodgrain. I already have a small/cheap to run and service car, but it's such a student car :D
Most of my friends/colleagues upgraded long ago to either something more reliable , or something that's semi-luxury. I don't know anyone who has spent more than 60k on one though.

raskolnikov

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Lions
I bought my Pulsar new 5 years ago for about 20 grand. I just had the 90,000km service done and it got a good report. I intend to keep it til about the 200,000km mark. Just don't see the point in lashing out for a new car all the time. You lose about a quarter of the value of a new car just driving it out of the car yard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SHAKESPEARE

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills, NY Mets
I bought my Pulsar new 5 years ago for about 20 grand. I just had the 90,000km service done and it got a good report. I intend to keep it til about the 200,000km mark. Just don't see the point in lashing out for a new car all the time. You lose about a quarter of the value of a new car just driving it out of the car yard.
Got a 2003 Corolla with 80,000 kms on the clock.

Drives like a dream. I think I'll hit 200,000 in 25 years.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Make sure its manual V8 and in devil yellow
Definitely V8, manual is hard to find, but I prefer the aqua/teal colour.

One for sale currently but only on my Ps still and no place to store it.

Sucks that they didn't update the styling to match the Commodores, reckon they'd look good with the square headlights and features of the VY - Z.

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
Wearing the colour your team underuses with pride- I like it :)
I have an aqua car.

Are you much younger than I thought, or did you get your licence later than most?

mattyb2607

Shoot straight, you bastards.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg, Adelaide Bite

Sucks that they didn't update the styling to match the Commodores, reckon they'd look good with the square headlights and features of the VY - Z.
Don't see many teal compared to yellow

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #3,923

Cars are an interesting discussion point. I find people (some) are very outraged about what people drive, usually biased by their own brand of choice. as long as people are happy driving whatever they want, so be it.

As you said, it's his life and loan. Wish people were as understanding/logical as you! :D

I think there is a general unsettling when it comes to money/spending on something expensive. Cars, private schools, tutors etc. It really offends people

Top Bottom