Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How on earth do people think that if someone says they have anxiety/depression it's attention seeking now? I mean, if you didn't have it why on earth would you say you did have it? No one is impressed by it.

And if you are legitimately saying you have a mental illness when you don't have one, well, you do have one.

How on earth do people think that if someone says they have anxiety/depression it's attention seeking now? I mean, if you didn't have it why on earth would you say you did have it? No one is impressed by it.

And if you are legitimately saying you have a mental illness when you don't have one, well, you do have one.

Its a real grey issue. I think as others have suggested in the past it was hidden, shunned. Then there was a gradual degradation of the depression is bad wall. Then the wall was broken down. With social media and the like people can talk about the D without fear or favour with to anonymity.

To answer your question, people think someone saying they have D is attention seeking, because they think it's attention seeking. Or an excuse. Since the wall fell there has been more and more skepticism rightly or wrongly over people who state they have D. For example, Garry Lyon leaving the footy show after his and Nickys actions came to the fore. He also left SEN. Depression. Sam Newman swears Garry had/has depression, but is adament buddy franklin did not when he missed a finals game suddenly.

Its a real grey issue. I think as others have suggested in the past it was hidden, shunned. Then there was a gradual degradation of the depression is bad wall. Then the wall was broken down. With social media and the like people can talk about the D without fear or favour with to anonymity.

To answer your question, people think someone saying they have D is attention seeking, because they think it's attention seeking. Or an excuse. Since the wall fell there has been more and more skepticism rightly or wrongly over people who state they have D. For example, Garry Lyon leaving the footy show after his and Nickys actions came to the fore. He also left SEN. Depression. Sam Newman swears Garry had/has depression, but is adament buddy franklin did not when he missed a finals game suddenly.
Calling it the D really makes this an interesting reply :)

Couple of reasons.

Firstly there's the boy who cried wolf. When every second person supposedly has 'mental health issues' you tend to give it a cursory 'yep, OK'.

Secondly there's no black and white. It's not like having a broken leg or infectious disease. Being sad or feeling anxious aren't physical ailments on their own.

Thirdly many people suffer in silence and over the past few years the stigma about speaking out has been reduced. Most people with mental health issues don't want the world knowing their private pain. Everyone is different. Telling some people some things helps some, telling everyone everything helps others. When someone is already an attention seeker and they just happen to have mental health issues I'm never surprised.

#mentalhealth is an Instagram hashtag with 8.9m posts. If you want to see attention seeking look there.

Sometimes it's just best to stop and stare. Takes out any ambiguity and the target of your eyes won't have to second guess themself.

A girl who used to go to the gym used to do her skipping routine in front of "my" exercise bike. She favoured crop top and short shorts. Basically it was my worst nightmare, tried to watch the TV which was above her in my view but was really, really, really hard.

She looked a lot like this bird:

allison-stokke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couple of reasons.

Firstly there's the boy who cried wolf. When every second person supposedly has 'mental health issues' you tend to give it a cursory 'yep, OK'.

Secondly there's no black and white. It's not like having a broken leg or infectious disease. Being sad or feeling anxious aren't physical ailments on their own.

Thirdly many people suffer in silence and over the past few years the stigma about speaking out has been reduced. Most people with mental health issues don't want the world knowing their private pain. Everyone is different. Telling some people some things helps some, telling everyone everything helps others. When someone is already an attention seeker and they just happen to have mental health issues I'm never surprised.

#mentalhealth is an Instagram hashtag with 8.9m posts. If you want to see attention seeking look there.

I always hear this, who are all these people coming out and saying they have mental health issues? Of all the sportspeople, actors, musicians, politicians and those in the public spotlight the amount coming out publicly with issues is still minuscule. I have what I would deem a relatively normal size friendship group with a wide variety of different personality types and I would say that of around 30 people only one person has openly expressed a mental illness.

I always hear this, who are all these people coming out and saying they have mental health issues? Of all the sportspeople, actors, musicians, politicians and those in the public spotlight the amount coming out publicly with issues is still minuscule. I have what I would deem a relatively normal size friendship group with a wide variety of different personality types and I would say that of around 30 people only one person has openly expressed a mental illness.
Where someone has never previously mentioned mental health issues, finds themselves in trouble, then blames it all on mental health, people will naturally be cynical (i.e. Gary Lyon). It doesn't help that these tend to make the news because of the personalities involved. No one was questioning whether Will Pucovski was genuine.

Where someone has never previously mentioned mental health issues, finds themselves in trouble, then blames it all on mental health, people will naturally be cynical (i.e. Gary Lyon). It doesn't help that these tend to make the news because of the personalities involved. No one was questioning whether Will Pucovski was genuine.
Depression and anxiety isn't something that just remains at a certain level from the day you're born to the day you die. Maybe he had good coping mechanisms to deal with it and then the illness got more severe and those same mechanisms no longer worked.

Depression and anxiety isn't something that just remains at a certain level from the day you're born to the day you die. Maybe he had good coping mechanisms to deal with it and then the illness got more severe and those same mechanisms no longer worked.
Maybe he did, but he didn't raise it until such time as he got caught shagging his mate's missus, something that had been ongoing and not a sudden failing of coping mechanisms. I don't disagree that it's hard to make sense of, people with mental health issues can make bad decisions, obviously. But I was just explaining why there will always be cynicism if someone busts it out immediately after getting caught out. And if people didn't question it, rest assured, some people would start using it to get out of trouble, cause people can be pretty s**t.

The timing of Garry Lyon's was what made me suspicious, it comes out he's porking his good mate's ex AND he's got depression at the same time.

A girl who used to go to the gym used to do her skipping routine in front of "my" exercise bike. She favoured crop top and short shorts. Basically it was my worst nightmare, tried to watch the TV which was above her in my view but was really, really, really hard.

She looked a lot like this bird:

allison-stokke

ms stokke. one of my fave athletes. her dad was not a fan of the photographer attention she was attracting at college meets. bet he dont care now she's a fitness model.

in addition can you believe at the exact moment ricky proposed there was someone ready to take a pic?

Maybe he did, but he didn't raise it until such time as he got caught shagging his mate's missus, something that had been ongoing and not a sudden failing of coping mechanisms. I don't disagree that it's hard to make sense of, people with mental health issues can make bad decisions, obviously. But I was just explaining why there will always be cynicism if someone busts it out immediately after getting caught out. And if people didn't question it, rest assured, some people would start using it to get out of trouble, cause people can be pretty s**t.

A real double edged sword, vexed situation. There will always be people who rort the system claiming mental illness for their behaviour or financial purposes. Hell there are people without who do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back