Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Things i now understand about golf

1. Golf is ******* hard
2. A golf course is neither a driving range or a green, mini golf
3. My dad is a good teacher tho
4. Its ******* hard.

Except for bunkers idk wat everyones problem with the sand is i hit my best shot from one, all day, like 2 ft from the green

I give golf an 8/10

You starting out as well?

One week drive well, everything else rubbish

Next week play irons well, everything else rubbish

Next week play greens well, everything else rubbish

Repeat and rinse

I don’t understand wakes. I mean, after a funeral, the last thing I’d want to do is have a bunch of family and friends of the deceased over to my house. So you’ve just organised a funeral for a family member and you’ve got to feed a whole heap of people? And you’ve also got to plan it! So you’re organising a funeral and the next hour it’s whether it’s ham & cheese or chicken & lettuce? Tomato? What kind of alcohol?

To me it just seems odd. It’s like having a family gathering (like Christmas Day) but under sad circumstances. And who hosts? The one with the biggest house? And are they just sitting around doing dishes and then organising a clean up? It’s weird, real weird. Under no conditions do I see any form of refreshments and hosting relevant after a funeral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand wakes. I mean, after a funeral, the last thing I’d want to do is have a bunch of family and friends of the deceased over to my house. So you’ve just organised a funeral for a family member and you’ve got to feed a whole heap of people? And you’ve also got to plan it! So you’re organising a funeral and the next hour it’s whether it’s ham & cheese or chicken & lettuce? Tomato? What kind of alcohol?

To me it just seems odd. It’s like having a family gathering (like Christmas Day) but under sad circumstances. And who hosts? The one with the biggest house? And are they just sitting around doing dishes and then organising a clean up? It’s weird, real weird. Under no conditions do I see any form of refreshments and hosting relevant after a funeral.

I've found them awkward to attend, because it's like you don't want to smile or tell a wisecrack or a Simpsons quote (which tends to be how my family communicate) given where you are and what just happened but you don't want to look all down in the dumps either, especially if the funeral is for someone you weren't incredibly close too.

In a similar vein, I've never understood clapping and laughing during the funeral. Someone just died, and everyone's clapping at the Eulogy? I'd have thought that it would be more respectful and appropriate to give a 'fairy clap' or stay silent, rather than a full round of applause

I've found them awkward to attend, because it's like you don't want to smile or tell a wisecrack or a Simpsons quote (which tends to be how my family communicate) given where you are and what just happened but you don't want to look all down in the dumps either, especially if the funeral is for someone you weren't incredibly close too.

In a similar vein, I've never understood clapping and laughing during the funeral. Someone just died, and everyone's clapping at the Eulogy? I'd have thought that it would be more respectful and appropriate to give a 'fairy clap' or stay silent, rather than a full round of applause

I saw a mexican wave once at a funeral, thought that was fine but bit over the top when people were throwing rubbish in the air as well I reckon.

It's an old tradition where you'd gather around the body (often on the kitchen table!) to ensure it didn't 'wake' i.e. make sure the person was actually dead.

There was also an old timey person who'd sit around in the cemetery and listen. Often families would tie a string with a bell on it to the finger of a dead person just in case they woke in the coffin (which was not uncommon), hence the terms 'graveyard shift' and 'dead ringer'.

My great Auntie died on Christmas day and we had the funeral/wake a couple weeks ago, the wake didnt feel awkward or anything like that, my cousin had organized everything at their place and felt like a normal family gathering, plenty of alcohol and food supplied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back