Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
whats with all the live action disney remakes? does anything original come out of hollywood anymore?
I reckon they are stretching it calling The Lion King live action. It's just CGI rather than traditional animation.

They are remaking stuff from the 90s to cash in on nostalgia value. People my age who went to see The Lion King as 10 year olds now have kids that they can take to see the remake. There's no need at all for a Toy Story 4, everything was wrapped up in #3. But I'm still going to see it at some stage.

Plus Disney want to be woke. They didn't just coincidentally replace Simba, Scar, Nala etc. with black voice actors. Just like they didn't just stumble across Halle Bailey when casting for The Little Mermaid. Funnily enough they didn't rock the boat with Aladdin...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That was my theory but it still comes up in my mind every now and then haha
It's also a function of hot copper pipes. Hot water from the water heater heats the pipes to the water temperature as it flows through. If you turn off the source of heat the cold water flowing through the pipes will still absorb some heat from the already warm pipes.

If you live somewhere hot like the North of WA and have water pipes running on the outside of the house your 'cold' water will always be hot to some degree.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Does it have to? Society is more nostalgic and obsessed with 'feels' than every before.

Just a smart operator feeding the market.
Nostalgia marketing is about timing. Nowadays you tend to see more 90s themed cover bands, concerts etc. than 80s because people who were 20 in 1985 and rocking out to Van Halen are in their 50s and less likely to go to concerts etc.

Plus in the production of animated films the technology available has improved significantly in the last few decades. The 'Disney renaissance' in the late 80s and 90s was mostly traditional animated films. I remember seeing Toy Story in 1995 and holy s**t it was high tech. Pixar (and DreamWorks) basically invented a new genre of animated films. You can take any old fairy tale or animated feature and give it the 2019 CGI treatment.

Gough

Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Nostalgia marketing is about timing. Nowadays you tend to see more 90s themed cover bands, concerts etc. than 80s because people who were 20 in 1985 and rocking out to Van Halen are in their 50s and less likely to go to concerts etc.

Plus in the production of animated films the technology available has improved significantly in the last few decades. The 'Disney renaissance' in the late 80s and 90s was mostly traditional animated films. I remember seeing Toy Story in 1995 and holy s**t it was high tech. Pixar (and DreamWorks) basically invented a new genre of animated films. You can take any old fairy tale or animated feature and give it the 2019 CGI treatment.
I always associated Disney with Fantasia, s***house television and a couple of theme parks that even as a lad I thought looked ghastly. It was the 90s that they were able to rebrand.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I always associated Disney with Fantasia, s***house television and a couple of theme parks that even as a lad I thought looked ghastly. It was the 90s that they were able to rebrand.
I pretty much assume everything these days coming out of Hollywood is owned by Disney.

radiojake

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Overheard on tram yesterday

Old mate gets on the tram and asks driver how to pay for ticket, what stop is Lonsdale St and how does he get back to where he just got on. Obviously not a local.

Another guy on tram starts talking to him and turns out old mate us from Cowra and is in Melbourne to put a yellow pages ad into the office in person as he doesn't know how to email

It was for his demolition business

There are no words

Off The Couch

Hall of Famer
Oct 4, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Overheard on tram yesterday

Old mate gets on the tram and asks driver how to pay for ticket, what stop is Lonsdale St and how does he get back to where he just got on. Obviously not a local.

Another guy on tram starts talking to him and turns out old mate us from Cowra and is in Melbourne to put a yellow pages ad into the office in person as he doesn't know how to email

It was for his demolition business

There are no words
What’s sadder than that is he obviously has no one he can ask for support or is to embarrassed to ask

Scotland

Hall of Famer
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Things that cost a silly amount relative to what you'd expect. E.g. if I am buying a blender I know I can get a cheapo one from Kmart for $20, or I can go to Myer or DJs or one of those kitchen shops and get one that costs a lot more. Apparently you can get one that costs over $2,000. Just a blender, not a Thermomix. That seems like a lot of money for something that just whizzes up bits of fruit.

Anyway, I was looking online at mattresses. Mine is old and I figured to myself a cheap mattress is a few hundred bucks, a top of the line one is probably a few grand. How wrong I was. This mofo costs: $31,399: https://www.snooze.com.au/products/sealy-posturepedic-crown-jewel-chalons-mattress-base?variant=28346478559319

Who the fu** spends $30k on a mattress?

The Dice Man

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Things that cost a silly amount relative to what you'd expect. E.g. if I am buying a blender I know I can get a cheapo one from Kmart for $20, or I can go to Myer or DJs or one of those kitchen shops and get one that costs a lot more. Apparently you can get one that costs over $2,000. Just a blender, not a Thermomix. That seems like a lot of money for something that just whizzes up bits of fruit.

Anyway, I was looking online at mattresses. Mine is old and I figured to myself a cheap mattress is a few hundred bucks, a top of the line one is probably a few grand. How wrong I was. This mofo costs: $31,399: https://www.snooze.com.au/products/sealy-posturepedic-crown-jewel-chalons-mattress-base?variant=28346478559319

Believe me, some people do. Even twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 29, 2010
¯\_(シ)_/¯
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LAL-MMA-Victory-CFC-Seahawks
Ha, as soon as I saw the notification I was like 'I bet he has a rich French guy story'.

I don't disagree, but $30,000? Surely a $5,000 mattress would be pretty bloody good.
You're probably right. All I know is the difference between a 500 dollar mattress and a 5000 dollar mattress is quite large. For 30k it would want to do a lot more than just let me sleep comfortably.

Engimal v3

Premium Gold
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

My girlfriend's mum has a Thermomix, and I've been informed they are the bees knees. I'm pretty sure the more expensive ones give consistency settings (i.e. they will make it to the consistency of 'fruit juice', or 'soup').

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Ha, as soon as I saw the notification I was like 'I bet he has a rich French guy story'.

I don't disagree, but $30,000? Surely a $5,000 mattress would be pretty bloody good.
I bought a top of the line Latex about 5 g, its horrible, too hot and too hard
It got relegated to the spare room and Im back to my old one cost about $1500 from the factory that used to make them 20 odd years ago.

Top Bottom