Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Downball = against a wall or marked court, eg. bat tennis court. Always played with a tennis ball.

Four square = played with a basketball in "four squares" court. Had positions of King, queen, jack and dunce.

4 sq was played with a tennis ball (in my area anyway)

Basketball for downball (or 4-square if you want ;)) for us as well. The bigger ball allowed for more ball trickery (like adding spin or varying speed). Compares to a small rather bouncy ball which is more hitting back and forth until someone stuffs up which is less interesting imo.

Basketball for downball (or 4-square if you want ;)) for us as well. The bigger ball allowed for more ball trickery (like adding spin or varying speed). Compares to a small rather bouncy ball which is more hitting back and forth until someone stuffs up which is less interesting imo.

Yup or "siders" trying to get a crazy angle to pass your opponent, or ones you bounce the ball sky high into the air.. loved that game

I didn't really play 4square in high school but the people that did had a stupid rule where you could step on the ball in someone else's square (ie it bounced more than once) and you were out.

How is using a large ball that is easier to hit considered more tricky than a small ball?

I liked jacks.

Altho doing a google search i come across these.. idk what the fu** these jacks are meant to be. Looks more like a sex toy if you ask me..

jacks_0.png
Star Jacks ;HawkDorks pictures were the ones I knew.

if you didnt have money you waited until you had a roast and grabbed the bones from that

We also had this other little thing, can't remember their name but they were like little monsters. Knuckle something. Think you had to hold them on your knuckles and then flip your hand over and try to catch them or something.
Then there was this

We called Four Square "Handball". The kids at the school I teach at call it "Handball" too.

I didn't really play 4square in high school but the people that did had a stupid rule where you could step on the ball in someone else's square (ie it bounced more than once) and you were out.

How is using a large ball that is easier to hit considered more tricky than a small ball?
The fact the bigger ball is easier to hit is actually the whole point. This way you're not just in a "holding pattern", waiting for the other person to mishit the small ball.

You have to try and deceive the other player with changes in spin, speed, angle,etc.

We called Four Square "Handball". The kids at the school I teach at call it "Handball" too.
We had this German exchange student in our class and during PE the teacher says we were going to play European Handball.

"Hey, you should be really good at this!"

"What's European handball?"

:$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer 4 square, using head and feet only is epic.

On Downball, the size of the concrete slabs varied but were generally played on a flat surface.
Though, at my school, one of the main areas had an uneven brick paved bit (not even a square nor rectangle) which threw up some challenges.

We had a rule that, if you got the King out, they'd have to go out of the court and wind up to the end of the line.

If you played it indoors, you'd simply cordon off an area with tape. (No bigger than 4 sections.)

Tennis balls for outside play.
Softer but bigger ball for inside play.

Liner's were always contentious.

Fun times.

I never knew the ideal dimensions of a slab of concrete nor a taped/painted section. (7 foot was the cutoff.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back