Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's always going to be some degree of migrants being viewed differently.

As someone born here I'm an enviable position of knowing that whatever I do I'm still an Australian and I can't be 'sent back' anywhere. If I'm a visitor or temporary resident or permanent resident it's not the same. To a degree it shouldn't be, but at some points migrants stop being the responsibility of some other nation if they * up. Someone could move here, get PR then get citizenship within 5 years. Many countries don't allow dual citizenship, so if someone comes from Zimbabwe and becomes an Australian citizen and commits mass murder then stiff s**t - they're ours. If the same person came from across the border in South Africa and retained dual citizenship are we expected to revoke it and send them back? The biggest shoot down to someone saying 'I was born here, I've been here longer than you' is for someone older than them who wasn't to say 'I've been here longer than you'.

The term "dog act". People love dogs, they're loyal, friendly and are never at risk of betraying you, so why do we label dirty acts (hitting people, cheating on people etc.) as dog?

I can't get how gravity is caused, even when I've found the so-called most dumbest-down explanations. Do the 'scienticians' really know?
Ok, it's caused by mass, but how.
I've also read that it's caused by centrifugal forces, but logic says to me that that makes stuff fly away instead of sticking to it.

Last edited:
I can't get how gravity is caused, even when I've found the so-called dumbest-down explanations. Do the 'scienticians' really know?
Ok, it's caused by mass, but how.
I've also read that it's caused by centrifugal forces, but logic says to me that that makes stuff fly away instead of sticking to it.
Fundamental Force right? g= GM/r^2 where g=accerlation experienced, M= mass of main object, r= radial distance, G= gravitational constant.

Hmm, that's MUCH easier :D:thumbsu: Can you make it into a cartoon for me? :p
Well theres two formulas you need to consider (basically equivalent tho) that one was is 'acceleration' experinced; and F= m1.m2.G/r^2 which is gravitational force present between 2 masses.
images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks again. While you're at it......

I don't get the "distorted flat world maps" thing, even though this video seems to explain it well. It also blew my mind to find out that most flat maps of the earth are distorted, showing some continents -- the ones closer to the poles -- relatively larger.

I don't get why, for example, Greenland has to be disproportionately larger when it's image transfers from a sphere to a flat map, while the other land masses all over the planet are apparently transferred to same way. If a flat, individual map of Greenland is scaled down from its ~2,400 km length and ~1,100km width by a factor of 24 million, that brings the flat image down to 10cm high x 4.58cm across (I think; I hope :D). And if, again as an example, Africa is scaled down the same amount (24 million) from its length of 7,248 km and width of 7,009 km, that makes it 30.2 cm in length and 29.2 cm across. Then why does the Mercator map (the standard flat map of the world) need to show Greenland about the same size as Africa?

Its to do with latitude like you mentioned- further away from the equator the bigger it appears. check out the website 'the True Size Of' to mess around with country size comparisons. For example: here is Australia next to Greenland and then both countries at the equator.

Its to do with latitude like you mentioned- further away from the equator the bigger it appears. check out the website 'the True Size Of' to mess around with country size comparisons. For example: here is Australia next to Greenland and then both countries at the equator.
Grouse link. Thanks

Why can business class airfares be so much cheaper using FF points?

I was looking at some flights from Perth to Melbourne the other day and they started around $250 or 20k ish Virgin Velocity Points. Business class on the same flights was about $2,0000 or 40k ish Velocity points. Wat?

Why can business class airfares be so much cheaper using FF points?

I was looking at some flights from Perth to Melbourne the other day and they started around $250 or 20k ish Virgin Velocity Points. Business class on the same flights was about $2,0000 or 40k ish Velocity points. Wat?
Always use points for business

The real question is who needs business class on a 3-4 hour flight between Perth and Melbourne?

Having flown domestic business once (Perth to Sydney) it is nicer and more spacious but if you are just buying a cash fare is definitely not worth the price increase.

A round trip to Melbourne could cost $400 or $4,000. That's a hefty premium for a slightly nicer seat for 4 hours each way and some wine.

The real question is who needs business class on a 3-4 hour flight between Perth and Melbourne?
I raise you that and show you the Business class seats on Melbourne to Sydney or the 1 hour flight to Hobart from Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back