Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I saw the video this morning. Just ask Anthony Stevens or James Brayshaw. Stevens could've been killed by a falling pane of glass outside a pub, Brayshaw's sister was killed by bricks falling from her own garage after she closed the roller door.

Had a horrific case here, where a brick wall fell on a brother and sister in the city, was a few years ago. People tried desperately to get the bricks off them and save them, but nothing could be done.

I don't understand those nail/beauty shops that are 99% run by Asians. Not sure what they do but I can guarantee they can remove nail polish.

I just walk down one of the arcades between the malls in the city or in a big shopping centre so am not even in the shop and am overpowered by the smell of acetone. How do people not die of asphyxiation spending 8 hours a day in these places?

Driver of the car behind her spoke on AW this morning- could tell he was really shaken up.

And was not tailgating her, so therefore avoided rear ending her. And thats, why, ladies and gents you should **** off and stop ******* tailgating ffs. :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to get a dash cam. People capture all sorts of crazy s**t.

I turn left off a relatively busy road to go to where I live. It's a 70 zone and there are multiple lanes. Often I'll be driving alone at the speed limit and will indicate to turn off (and give fair distance) and people accelerate and zoom around me like I've massively inconvenienced them. Or they'll sit 1m behind me so I'll just gradually slow down to 60, 55, 50 etc. before indicating to annoy them and to hope they'll get impatient and pass me. I don't want to slow from 70 to maybe 20 or 30 to turn off with some dickhole sitting 1m behind me.

I don't understand those nail/beauty shops that are 99% run by Asians. Not sure what they do but I can guarantee they can remove nail polish.

I just walk down one of the arcades between the malls in the city or in a big shopping centre so am not even in the shop and am overpowered by the smell of acetone. How do people not die of asphyxiation spending 8 hours a day in these places?
Because they wear those flimsy little paper dust marks.

I'm tempted to get a dash cam. People capture all sorts of crazy s**t.

I turn left off a relatively busy road to go to where I live. It's a 70 zone and there are multiple lanes. Often I'll be driving alone at the speed limit and will indicate to turn off (and give fair distance) and people accelerate and zoom around me like I've massively inconvenienced them. Or they'll sit 1m behind me so I'll just gradually slow down to 60, 55, 50 etc. before indicating to annoy them and to hope they'll get impatient and pass me. I don't want to slow from 70 to maybe 20 or 30 to turn off with some dickhole sitting 1m behind me.
I'll definitely invest in one sometime down the track. Could save you a lot of cash at some point down the road (pun intended), and there's always a chance you capture something crazy and get it on the Dashcams Australia YouTube channel :D

I got a dashcam for Christmas, hoping to never need to use the footage but nice to know I'm protected if I'm ever in an accident that isn't my fault (I'd admit fault without the footage if it was the reverse situation, but can't rely on others to do that).

It always seems like these freak accidents are captured by dashcams, so many people must have them these days.

I got a dashcam for Christmas, hoping to never need to use the footage but nice to know I'm protected if I'm ever in an accident that isn't my fault (I'd admit fault without the footage if it was the reverse situation, but can't rely on others to do that).

It always seems like these freak accidents are captured by dashcams, so many people must have them these days.
I think they have become much more affordable in the last few years, and the quality has increased too. Go back five or six years and the footage you see on YouTube is typically grainy crap where you can barely make anything out. But now it is usually HD at a minimum and has features like constant recording but only saving when you push a button, or automatically activating and recording when the car is bumped when parked etc.

automatically activating and recording when the car is bumped when parked etc.
Mates getting a Prado with this feature installed. App to the phone so if anybody touches his car it sends an alert

Better than those annoying ' step away from the vehicle' sounds

Mates getting a Prado with this feature installed. App to the phone so if anybody touches his car it sends an alert

Can't see that app never sending 250 false signals a day.

The biggest shits in class can be the nicest kids outside. Just ran into a student in Bunnings who was a little s**t last year. He came up and gave me a handshake and big smile and said, "Love ya sir!".
Haha. My mum's a teacher and frequently has almost exactly the same sort of experiences whens she bumps into former or current students at BigW/Woolies etc :) . She even notices that kids are often different in different classes eg they're a handful in science/maths but when she's relieving for PE , they become helpful leaders.

Six months left of my five years of university study to change careers. I've hammered out dozens and dozens of essays, research assignments, presentations and literature reviews. Typed tens of thousands of words in response to some interesting but mostly boring as **** questions. Spent hours sitting in lectures taking notes and watching most other students (particularly the young ones) dick about. Have started a family and been raising two kids with income derived only from part-time work and study allowance from the government, refinancing the home loan to interest-only repayments and kept a constant eye on a bank balance that keeps fluctuating between low and empty as ****. Four and a half years I have done this, and achieved very high results while getting awards at work for doing a good job there. It's been so damn hard to juggle everything and still manage to keep the relationship between my wife and I happy and healthy with all the stress and hours I have put in, plus being a good and attentive dad during such important years of my kids' development.

And now I really cant be ****** doing this last six months.

I s**t me.
What are have you been studying? Since you're so far through and have been very successful despite doing it, I hope you can find the motivation to see out these last 6 months. For the qualification alone and the sense of satisfaction, it will be worth it. At the end of the day though, only you/your family know what's best for you in the circumstances. All the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have become much more affordable in the last few years, and the quality has increased too. Go back five or six years and the footage you see on YouTube is typically grainy crap where you can barely make anything out. But now it is usually HD at a minimum and has features like constant recording but only saving when you push a button, or automatically activating and recording when the car is bumped when parked etc.

Can't see that app never sending 250 false signals a day.

Client yesterday came in to show me his new car (may even be a Prado, big Toyota 4wd) - it has this. In a 30 min coffee catchup, his alarm went off 11 times. Was going in today to work out how to turn down the sensitivity. He showed me the pictures it took - he'd parked under a tree, and even a single leaf landing on the bonnet was enough to set it off.

Apart from being over-sensitive, I must admit it was pretty awesome to have an almost 360 degree image though (like the google cars I guess). Fishbowl front, driver, passenger and fishbowl rear camera all take a picture and email to him as a scrollable image.

I'll definitely invest in one sometime down the track. Could save you a lot of cash at some point down the road (pun intended), and there's always a chance you capture something crazy and get it on the Dashcams Australia YouTube channel :D

i got one of my videos on Dashcams Australia for December

If/when I treat myself to a better car after finishing training, I'll finally get a dashcam :)
I can't justify it currently though given that I'm still driving the same car I drove as a uni student.
I will never get a better car.

I have absolutely no need or desire for a fancy car.

If i was loaded and had more cash that i could spend, then I might consider it. That will never happen

If i was loaded and had more cash that i could spend, then I might consider it. That will never happen

I've said before but my cuz has a 98k Merc, which he is fine with me driving.

Yeah gtfo, im not driving it, no way.

I see where you're coming from. I have no intention to get a luxury or a fancy car even though I can probably already afford one and I'll definitely be able to afford one in the future- I'm not a car person in that regard. I just want a decent 25k-40k one with good bluetooth/a reverse camera etc. Not fussed about how it looks on the outside, but I would love those extra features. I intend to get about 200,000km from my Toyota Yaris though before even considering the switch though. For the time being, I'm enjoying not having to worry about things like scratches or being hit whilst parked :p.

I see where you're coming from. I have no intention to get a luxury or a fancy car even though I can probably already afford one and I'll definitely be able to afford one in the future- I'm not a car person in that regard. I just want a decent 25k-40k one with good bluetooth/a reverse camera etc. Not fussed about how it looks on the outside, but I would love those extra features. I intend to get about 200,000km from my Toyota Yaris though before even considering the switch though. For the time being, I'm enjoying not having to worry about things like scratches or being hit.

Yeah I srsly considered a brand new car for a short while- more in the 25k range, definitely not 40k. Was happy with the 17K Ford i got in the end, with 4,500 kms on it.

25k is a lot off the mortgage
Agreed. I'll definitely have paid mine off well before then though :)

And Shell - I only put 40k in there because I'd be prepared to spend that much for a good SUV. I loved the one we hired in Tassie, despite never having driven one or considered one prior to that.

If you DGAF about cars and don't need to ferry around multiple children then you're best off with a relatively late model small car. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service, has most basic modern features (maybe not Italian leather and woodgrain but air con, Bluetooth etc.) and will be pretty reliable.

Agreed. I'll definitely have paid mine off well before then though :)

And Shell - I only put 40k in there because I'd be prepared to spend that much for a good SUV. I loved the one we hired in Tassie, despite never having driven one or considered one prior to that.

Yeah all good. Was not meant to be critical or anything.

Fwiw i think my cousin is mad to spend that money on the Merc- but its his life, his loan he has to pay off.

Yeah all good. Was not meant to be critical or anything.

Fwiw i think my cousin is mad to spend that money on the Merc- but its his life, his loan he has to pay off.
I have friends who have spent big bucks on brand new semi-luxury cars- but it just seems so stressful. The slightest scratch would be devastating.

If you DGAF about cars and don't need to ferry around multiple children then you're best off with a relatively late model small car. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, cheap to service, has most basic modern features (maybe not Italian leather and woodgrain but air con, Bluetooth etc.) and will be pretty reliable.
Haha not fussed about Italian leather and woodgrain. I already have a small/cheap to run and service car, but it's such a student car :D
Most of my friends/colleagues upgraded long ago to either something more reliable , or something that's semi-luxury. I don't know anyone who has spent more than 60k on one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back