Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I follow soccer quite closely and I've always been taken by the fact that I can't remember a game where a team is in possession and is chasing a result has the whistle blown on them right as they're about to make a forward thrust, cross the ball into the box or whatever. If it's ever happened, I haven't seen it. It may as well be rugby where the game is ended by putting it into touch, the ref gives the team their last ditch chance regardless of what their watch is saying and only once they turn it over then the whistle goes immediately.

And how many games do we see with a minute added at the end of 45? That's like two throw ins and a goal kick/corner kick, in an half. Or the regulation three minutes at the end of 90? With six players taking about 90 seconds each to do their curtain calls with their adoring fans, without even considering every other stoppage that occurs in three quarters of an hour. Give me a break.
Happened in the Premier League last season or the season before IIRC.

The_Todd07

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Sox 76ers
Driving through the northeastern suburbs yesterday and found myself behind a ute with a charming 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' bumper sticker. On closer inspection, it was actually two bumper stickers, with another of a hand, demonstrating the manoeuvre.

Now...I'm thinking, "OK what sort of prize f***wit decides that's the message they want to send on their back windscreen?" and I would have happily bet $50 that the driver was a virgin and $1000 that he was single. Only then a head turns in the passenger seat...female. And while you can't be certain from that angle, she didn't seem too bad at all. So now the question turns to...what sort of girl gets around with a boyfriend in a ute with a 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' sticker plastered on the back windscreen?

Driving along and saw a wicked camper with that theme the other day

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I follow soccer quite closely and I've always been taken by the fact that I can't remember a game where a team is in possession and is chasing a result has the whistle blown on them right as they're about to make a forward thrust, cross the ball into the box or whatever. If it's ever happened, I haven't seen it. It may as well be rugby where the game is ended by putting it into touch, the ref gives the team their last ditch chance regardless of what their watch is saying and only once they turn it over then the whistle goes immediately.

And how many games do we see with a minute added at the end of 45? That's like two throw ins and a goal kick/corner kick, in an half. Or the regulation three minutes at the end of 90? With six players taking about 90 seconds each to do their curtain calls with their adoring fans, without even considering every other stoppage that occurs in three quarters of an hour. Give me a break.

I love the way rugby is timed. 80 minutes and if there's an interruption to that 80 minutes then the clock stops.

Siren blows after 40/80 and if you have possession play continues until the ball is in touch or you commit a foul/free kick.

I've seen plenty of games of soccer end with a foray forward and then goal kick. Say 3 minutes added on, ball goes out after 92 min and then the final whistle goes after the goal kick is fiiiiinally taken. Yawn.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I love the way rugby is timed. 80 minutes and if there's an interruption to that 80 minutes then the clock stops.

Siren blows after 40/80 and if you have possession play continues until the ball is in touch or you commit a foul/free kick.

I've seen plenty of games of soccer end with a foray forward and then goal kick. Say 3 minutes added on, ball goes out after 92 min and then the final whistle goes after the goal kick is fiiiiinally taken. Yawn.

Yeah, if there's a 2+ goal margin, or the team that's trying to preserve the result has successfully lodged the ball in its attacking corner, the ref will think nothing of blowing their whistle 15 seconds before even the time that was supposed to be added on has elapsed. But if there's a glimmer that a team is making a potential attacking move that could change the result, the ref isn't calling time until they score, or the attack is successfully repelled, exact time be damned. I'm not necessarily against it, but the whole "and the ref takes another long look at his watch..." routine is a bit of an insult to our intelligence. It's not exact, the ref might as well not even have a watch. It's pretty much just the vibe when he blows it.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
At Moomba yesterday and was watching the kids on BMX doing tricks etc. One kid, maybe 13-14 had a white singlet with the words 'Sick campaigner' on the back. What parents allow this kid to have a singlet with that, let alone wear it to a public event with people all ages there. (Campaigner has been changed on this post from the real 4 letter word)

Also at the same BMX show, a 30-40 yr old man doing tricks on a BMX with all others being anywhere from 8-18 yrs old.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Driving through the northeastern suburbs yesterday and found myself behind a ute with a charming 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' bumper sticker. On closer inspection, it was actually two bumper stickers, with another of a hand, demonstrating the manoeuvre.

Now...I'm thinking, "OK what sort of prize f***wit decides that's the message they want to send on their back windscreen?" and I would have happily bet $50 that the driver was a virgin and $1000 that he was single. Only then a head turns in the passenger seat...female. And while you can't be certain from that angle, she didn't seem too bad at all. So now the question turns to...what sort of girl gets around with a boyfriend in a ute with a 'Two in the pink, one in the stink' sticker plastered on the back windscreen?
Could be her ute......

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
At Moomba yesterday and was watching the kids on BMX doing tricks etc. One kid, maybe 13-14 had a white singlet with the words 'Sick campaigner' on the back. What parents allow this kid to have a singlet with that, let alone wear it to a public event with people all ages there. (Campaigner has been changed on this post from the real 4 letter word)

Also at the same BMX show, a 30-40 yr old man doing tricks on a BMX with all others being anywhere from 8-18 yrs old.

bogans gonna bogue

people don't like seeing their club humiliate itself for the sake of sponsors. See: Carltons m&m guernsey.

But people get over it. I mean if people were outraged to that extent, they would not attend any more games or provide hard earned $$$ to the club.

Ive read its about tradition. Well, the game has evolved and changed over time. I recall fondly in the 90s a mate was totally against the notion trading players for draft picks or players. Now it is commonplace.

people don't like seeing their club humiliate itself for the sake of sponsors. See: Carltons m&m guernsey.
in this instance they have a connection to Thor, not quite the same

also most of the people that whinge about it aren't giving the club any money out of their own pockets either

LoathsomeUnlawfulFlea-max-1mb.gif

Because Hemsworth supports the doggies? I eat m&ms
and has been involved in promoting the Dogs and the AFL

with the link to him and Marvel, the dogs playing at Marvel stadium and the AFL desperate to break into the US market it's a no brainer that something like this happened

You eating M&Ms doesn't mean much unless you are a famous carlton supporter who also is publicly liked to M&Ms

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast

Mine did it organically in the 2000s with the shockers we came up with.

The Bulldogs have been through the same thing as WC. Fans petitioned for the jumper they wanted and the club brought it back. Now they have their awesome 1954 jumper and we have our blue and gold wings. The club is kind of vomiting on the supporters with the silly Marvel jumper.

lol 'they have a connection with Thor' I mean get real. The connection is $$$$ which was my point.
Hemsworth is a die hard dogs supporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back