Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lives at home. School teacher. No money.

Join the dots.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

But she earns decent money (she's just about to turn 23) and is on I think $64k.

Just so reckless and then whinges and complains when it can all be avoided. I get you wanna go out and have fun etc, but don't complain when you're broke because you decided to buy a heap of s**t you don't need and get your nails done every two weeks.

But she earns decent money (she's just about to turn 23) and is on I think $64k.

Just so reckless and then whinges and complains when it can all be avoided. I get you wanna go out and have fun etc, but don't complain when you're broke because you decided to buy a heap of s**t you don't need and get your nails done every two weeks.

To be fair she’s not that long earning real money - no doubt the penny will drop soon enough

On the contrary, I'm pretty happy for young hotties to buy active wear and wear this at my gym.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people are just all about them. What's going on their life is the most important thing at a a given point.

Also some people just don't 'get' money. Whether you earn $100 a week or $10,000, there are people in the same boat who spend more or less than you do. If you can live off a modest wage and then progressively earn more, you should be OK. If you are always behind earning $50k a year then there's a good chance you are going to be behind earning $100k a year.

Some people are just all about them. What's going on their life is the most important thing at a a given point.

Also some people just don't 'get' money. Whether you earn $100 a week or $10,000, there are people in the same boat who spend more or less than you do. If you can live off a modest wage and then progressively earn more, you should be OK. If you are always behind earning $50k a year then there's a good chance you are going to be behind earning $100k a year.
A mate that got a large payout due to an injury when he was 18. The payout was in the range of $1m to $2m (the figure always changes every time its talked about) but what his dad made him do was buy three houses, one to live in two as investments. It took him around 18 months to blow through the rest of his money (2 cars, a number of big kid toys that would get broken/given away, lots of parties).

At 20 he had to sell his first house as he had run out of money. After selling the house he moved into one of his investment properties with $300k in his back pocket. This money lasted maybe 18 months so at 22ish he had blown through another 300k without learning a single lesson the first time.

Then he sold both his current house and investment property and bought another, nicer house but only left himself with $100k of spare money but this time decided he'd be best working as well, since he had no rental income anymore. He was probably 23 or 24 by this stage with zero work exp so had no work ethic and never lasted more than a couple of months per job. The 100k got spent, the house got sold and the remaining amount was slowly spent while he lived in a rental until he had about $120k left and his dad intervened and put it in a term deposit.

So for the last 10 or so years he has gone from living in his own place, to a rental, to his mums house and finally to his girlfriends mums house at almost 40 years old. He then got access to the term deposit and guess what he did with it? Just spent it on useless s**t.

tl/dr I agree with your post.

Well yeah, she is pretty selfish and thinks everything can be about her.

"Oh I'm so tired, I just want to relax, it's so noisy here" etc etc.

And yep, bang on.

A mate that got a large payout due to an injury when he was 18. The payout was in the range of $1m to $2m (the figure always changes every time its talked about) but what his dad made him do was buy three houses, one to live in two as investments. It took him around 18 months to blow through the rest of his money (2 cars, a number of big kid toys that would get broken/given away, lots of parties).

At 20 he had to sell his first house as he had run out of money. After selling the house he moved into one of his investment properties with $300k in his back pocket. This money lasted maybe 18 months so at 22ish he had blown through another 300k without learning a single lesson the first time.

Then he sold both his current house and investment property and bought another, nicer house but only left himself with $100k of spare money but this time decided he'd be best working as well, since he had no rental income anymore. He was probably 23 or 24 by this stage with zero work exp so had no work ethic and never lasted more than a couple of months per job. The 100k got spent, the house got sold and the remaining amount was slowly spent while he lived in a rental until he had about $120k left and his dad intervened and put it in a term deposit.

So for the last 10 or so years he has gone from living in his own place, to a rental, to his mums house and finally to his girlfriends mums house at almost 40 years old. He then got access to the term deposit and guess what he did with it? Just spent it on useless s**t.

Fool and his money and all that.

There have been plenty of sports stars that ended up with nothing in their 30s and 40s. Allen Iverson reportedly earned $200m during his NBA career and ended up close to bankrupt with a long term deal with Reebok and some investments made by others in his best interests that he can't access until he turns 55 saved him. Meanwhile Michael Jordan and LeBron James are worth $1b+. Whether you earn a normal salary (even AFL players aren't that far removed from what regular folk earn) or an absurd sports star salary the same principles apply.

LOL what a dumb campaigner.

I'm not really into extravagance but I dunno how I'd have gone coming into a lot of money at a young age. If I won $1m tomorrow I wouldn't go out and buy a Rolls Royce Phantom but if I won one of those Lotto mega jackpots of $70m or something then spending $1m on a car wouldn't seem unreasonable.

I remember there was some news article about Brendan Whitecross having his car stolen and everyone was amused by the fact he had a Porsche but he played 100+ games and was on an AFL list for a decade so probably made $2-3m in that time as a semi regular player. Any regular Joe earning that sort of coin you'd be surprised to see getting around in a 2004 Corolla hatch.

I'm not really into extravagance but I dunno how I'd have gone coming into a lot of money at a young age. If I won $1m tomorrow I wouldn't go out and buy a Rolls Royce Phantom but if I won one of those Lotto mega jackpots of $70m or something then spending $1m on a car wouldn't seem unreasonable.

I would have had the money sitting in a few interest earning accounts.

I did it with inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back