Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
That was my theory but it still comes up in my mind every now and then haha

It's also a function of hot copper pipes. Hot water from the water heater heats the pipes to the water temperature as it flows through. If you turn off the source of heat the cold water flowing through the pipes will still absorb some heat from the already warm pipes.

If you live somewhere hot like the North of WA and have water pipes running on the outside of the house your 'cold' water will always be hot to some degree.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Does it have to? Society is more nostalgic and obsessed with 'feels' than every before.

Just a smart operator feeding the market.

Nostalgia marketing is about timing. Nowadays you tend to see more 90s themed cover bands, concerts etc. than 80s because people who were 20 in 1985 and rocking out to Van Halen are in their 50s and less likely to go to concerts etc.

Plus in the production of animated films the technology available has improved significantly in the last few decades. The 'Disney renaissance' in the late 80s and 90s was mostly traditional animated films. I remember seeing Toy Story in 1995 and holy s**t it was high tech. Pixar (and DreamWorks) basically invented a new genre of animated films. You can take any old fairy tale or animated feature and give it the 2019 CGI treatment.

Nostalgia marketing is about timing. Nowadays you tend to see more 90s themed cover bands, concerts etc. than 80s because people who were 20 in 1985 and rocking out to Van Halen are in their 50s and less likely to go to concerts etc.

Plus in the production of animated films the technology available has improved significantly in the last few decades. The 'Disney renaissance' in the late 80s and 90s was mostly traditional animated films. I remember seeing Toy Story in 1995 and holy s**t it was high tech. Pixar (and DreamWorks) basically invented a new genre of animated films. You can take any old fairy tale or animated feature and give it the 2019 CGI treatment.
I always associated Disney with Fantasia, s***house television and a couple of theme parks that even as a lad I thought looked ghastly. It was the 90s that they were able to rebrand.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Overheard on tram yesterday

Old mate gets on the tram and asks driver how to pay for ticket, what stop is Lonsdale St and how does he get back to where he just got on. Obviously not a local.

Another guy on tram starts talking to him and turns out old mate us from Cowra and is in Melbourne to put a yellow pages ad into the office in person as he doesn't know how to email

It was for his demolition business

There are no words

Overheard on tram yesterday

Old mate gets on the tram and asks driver how to pay for ticket, what stop is Lonsdale St and how does he get back to where he just got on. Obviously not a local.

Another guy on tram starts talking to him and turns out old mate us from Cowra and is in Melbourne to put a yellow pages ad into the office in person as he doesn't know how to email

It was for his demolition business

There are no words

What’s sadder than that is he obviously has no one he can ask for support or is to embarrassed to ask

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Things that cost a silly amount relative to what you'd expect. E.g. if I am buying a blender I know I can get a cheapo one from Kmart for $20, or I can go to Myer or DJs or one of those kitchen shops and get one that costs a lot more. Apparently you can get one that costs over $2,000. Just a blender, not a Thermomix. That seems like a lot of money for something that just whizzes up bits of fruit.

Anyway, I was looking online at mattresses. Mine is old and I figured to myself a cheap mattress is a few hundred bucks, a top of the line one is probably a few grand. How wrong I was. This mofo costs: $31,399: https://www.snooze.com.au/products/...-chalons-mattress-base?variant=28346478559319

Who the * spends $30k on a mattress?

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
Things that cost a silly amount relative to what you'd expect. E.g. if I am buying a blender I know I can get a cheapo one from Kmart for $20, or I can go to Myer or DJs or one of those kitchen shops and get one that costs a lot more. Apparently you can get one that costs over $2,000. Just a blender, not a Thermomix. That seems like a lot of money for something that just whizzes up bits of fruit.

Anyway, I was looking online at mattresses. Mine is old and I figured to myself a cheap mattress is a few hundred bucks, a top of the line one is probably a few grand. How wrong I was. This mofo costs: $31,399: https://www.snooze.com.au/products/...-chalons-mattress-base?variant=28346478559319

Who the fu** spends $30k on a mattress?
Believe me, some people do. Even twice.

Ha, as soon as I saw the notification I was like 'I bet he has a rich French guy story'.

I don't disagree, but $30,000? Surely a $5,000 mattress would be pretty bloody good.
You're probably right. All I know is the difference between a 500 dollar mattress and a 5000 dollar mattress is quite large. For 30k it would want to do a lot more than just let me sleep comfortably.

Who the fu** spends $30k on a mattress?

My girlfriend's mum has a Thermomix, and I've been informed they are the bees knees. I'm pretty sure the more expensive ones give consistency settings (i.e. they will make it to the consistency of 'fruit juice', or 'soup').

You're probably right. All I know is the difference between a 500 dollar mattress and a 5000 dollar mattress is quite large. For 30k it would want to do a lot more than just let me sleep comfortably.
For that price I'd want it to cup my balls and gently whisper sweet nothings in my ear.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Ha, as soon as I saw the notification I was like 'I bet he has a rich French guy story'.

I don't disagree, but $30,000? Surely a $5,000 mattress would be pretty bloody good.
I bought a top of the line Latex about 5 g, its horrible, too hot and too hard
It got relegated to the spare room and Im back to my old one cost about $1500 from the factory that used to make them 20 odd years ago.

atlas1

Cancelled
Harry Potter Fan A Star Wars Fan
Nov 6, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Gotta admire the effort but I think Crowy was more believable

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
I sleep on my stomach.....

Do I need to call you out again?
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back