Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Why people who have never ridden a motorbike in their lives think that it’s okay to do so in Bali or elsewhere overseas and then are surprised to find out their insurance won’t cover them in an accident

Why people who have never ridden a motorbike in their lives think that it’s okay to do so in Bali or elsewhere overseas and then are surprised to find out their insurance won’t cover them in an accident

I could have done that in Santorini. Didnt i dont trust myself- I just walked everywhere, the islands tiny anyway.

I could have done that in Santorini. Didnt i dont trust myself- I just walked everywhere, the islands tiny anyway.
bus was good and cheap too

Though I had my 3 rd world immunity and rode around India
So dangerous, I think I nearly died every day

I don’t care if it’s environmentally unfriendly, I wanna be on a plane by myself.

We (almost) did that a few years back.

Virgin cancelled the last flight from Melbourne to Launceston, but for whatever reason didn't tell all the passengers - about 10 or so had arrived at the airport and checked in.

From memory they offered a nights accommodation and the morning red-eye or a later flight to Hobart instead - but after those options were filled we were asked if we would accept a "no-service" flight.

Turns out the plane (and pilots) was still travelling on schedule, but they couldn't staff the plane with correct crew (only an off-duty pilot going home and a flight attendant who had finished her shift, but was travelling down to work the red-eye back the next morning).

We signed a waiver of some sort, had open choice of seats and I think there was only about 6 people on the flight. The flight attendant (who wasn't working) spoke to the pilot and gave us all free food and drink anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've ridden motorbikes my entire adult life and even I would be very apprehensive about riding in SE Asia.

bus was good and cheap too

Though I had my 3 rd world immunity and rode around India
So dangerous, I think I nearly died every day

I was a 10-15 min walk from the capital Fira- so i just walked it. I did tours to go to Oia/around the island so of course they picked me up from my hotel.

I was a 10-15 min walk from the capital Fira- so i just walked it. I did tours to go to Oia/around the island so of course they picked me up from my hotel.
I was in the guts of Fira looking at the water there was a bus stop just behind that took us all over the island

We (almost) did that a few years back.
When I was a kid I was once on a commercial jet (must have been 737) that had maybe 15 passengers on it - was a really early flight from Montreal to Vancouver.

Doesn't sound as cool as being on a no-service flight, but it was fun to basically have entire rows of seats to yourself

Melbourne, a city of 5m people who all carry on like they live in South Yarra or Fitzroy and hang around on Chapel and Brunswick Streets each weeknight because they are so interesting and cultured when in reality the majority live dull suburban lives in outer suburbs and go home to watch MAFS and The Bachelor and spend their weekends at Bunnings and Highpoint.

I guess when you have a chip on your shoulder about always being #2 city you need to do that. :p

There's two Melbournes. There's the roughly 10km radius from the CBD where, if nightlife and such and pre-World War II buildings/layout is what you're after, it will Live Up To The Hype. Then there's the rest which is suburbs that could be anywhere.

Last edited:
There's two Melbournes. There's the roughly 10km radius from the CBD where, if nightlife and such and pre-World War II buildings/layout is what you're after, it will Live Up To The Hype. Then there's the rest which is suburbs that could be anywhere.
So the good part is where only rich people can afford to live.

There's two Melbournes. There's the roughly 10km radius from the CBD where, if nightlife and such is what you're after, it will Live Up To The Hype. Then there's the rest which is suburbs that could be anywhere.

Which is why it baffles me when people from Perth move to Melbourne to live the same shitty suburban lives they had here. If that's what you want then just stay where where the blocks are bigger and the weather is nicer.

The best thing about Melbourne IMO other than landmarks and events etc. is that there are more pockets equivalent to Mt Lawley, Subiaco, Fremantle, Leederville etc. with a main street where you can walk to stuff etc. Not a ******* chance I would move to Melbourne to live in some new housing estate in Deer Park.

Which is why it baffles me when people from Perth move to Melbourne to live the same shitty suburban lives they had here. If that's what you want then just stay where where the blocks are bigger and the weather is nicer.

The best thing about Melbourne IMO other than landmarks and events etc. is that there are more pockets equivalent to Mt Lawley, Subiaco, Fremantle, Leederville etc. with a main street where you can walk to stuff etc. Not a ******* chance I would move to Melbourne to live in some new housing estate in Deer Park.
No matter where you live in (inner) Melbourne you are only a suburb away from a decent pub, bar, restaurant, cafe. I actually never go into the city outside of sport to eat or drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back