Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got to say I was pretty impressed than Wimbledon had pandemic cover - be paying it for years apparently

cost a pretty penny to have it included in any cover now
Apparently its because their Chairman from about 10 years ago was a big wig in an insurance company, so he knew the possibilities and what sort of policy to get

Unfortunately there have been a number of news stories about insurance companies refusing to pay up on "business interruption" insurance. I even remember seeing one company in the US being refused a payout on a pandemic insurance plan basically because COVID-19 wasn't one of their listed pandemic diseases

I don't mind insurance policies having clear and concise definitions of what is and isn't covered and things like flood insurance if you build in a flood plain, travel insurance including pandemic coverage when it looks like a pandemic is about to be declared etc. being costly, but they are a bunch of campaigners for how often they weasel out of things and make life difficult for their policy holders. Like most people/businesses they are in it for themselves first and foremost.

If someone rear ends your car and has insurance, then it's an easy kill for your insurer. They'll pay you because it's not going to come out of their pocket and they are just acting as a middle man. If your car gets stolen and torched, they'll ask a million questions to make sure you aren't trying to con them. Unless by some miracle the cops catch who did it they don't have someone else's pocket to dip into. Same as if you are broken into at home. They'll want to know what if there was forced entry, whether all the doors were locked etc. because they want to minimise their own exposure.

We've had some pretty bad experiences with insurance policies. When my grandmother was diagnosed with weeks to live, my parents needed to reschedule an overseas holiday. They didn't even want to cancel, just reschedule for a few months, but their insurers made it extremely difficult. They wanted evidence that my grandmother was diagnosed with a terminal illness, wanted to speak to multiple doctors etc. which took weeks. Then when she passed away at her nursing home, the doctor had finished for the day so her death certificate was signed by a nurse. The funeral insurance that she had refused to not only pay out, but even to tell us how much her coverage was for until some sort of paperwork was filed which took over a month. By which time of course, we'd already organised and paid for her funeral - the coverage was only for about $2k, so didn't cover much at all.

They really can be assholes to deal with at very difficult times for their customers.

Donald Trump thinking he's handled COVID-19 really really well for the USA.

The guy's a narcissist. He's not capable of thinking otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trump is totally disconnected from reality. Doesn't even spin things to sound better than they are, just says s**t that is anywhere from 0-100% made up.
He's learnt that he can lie habitually without being held to account by his party or supporters. He lies, they do the spin work. Makes governing easier when you're not beholden to the truth.

Trump is in full troll mode. The strategy to maintain most of the voters who lost their jobs and voted him in 2016 as a * you vote.

A lot of American expats I know have refused to return home while they don't have to due to how the epidemic has affected home.

Humanity's obsession with Facebook "photo challenges". One doing the rounds currently is "post a black and white photo of yourself for cancer awareness. Nominate 2 friends to pass it on."

Is there a single person in the Facebook universe who is not aware of cancer? Literally a single person? What does a flattering black and white photo of yourself have to do with said cancer?

Need to cull my circle, I think.

Humanity's obsession with Facebook "photo challenges". One doing the rounds currently is "post a black and white photo of yourself for cancer awareness. Nominate 2 friends to pass it on."

Is there a single person in the Facebook universe who is not aware of cancer? Literally a single person? What does a flattering black and white photo of yourself have to do with said cancer?

Need to cull my circle, I think.
10 photos to define your life as a high functioning alcoholic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back