Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it in another thread but what about religious exemptions? To me they make as much sense as anti vax exemptions
Yeah I think religous exemptions are bullshit too but then I have that general view about religion

When we board a flight we have no clue as to who may have chicken pox or measles or any other number of “catchable” diseases.

FFS you are going to be in the same airport as those on different carriers

Don’t get me wrong I would prefer everyone have the vaccination but I’m also aware as to why they might not want it.

This is not the same issue as measles where the long term data does not support the opinions of the anti vaxxers

When we board a flight we have no clue as to who may have chicken pox or measles or any other number of “catchable” diseases.

FFS you are going to be in the same airport as those on different carriers

Don’t get me wrong I would prefer everyone have the vaccination but I’m also aware as to why they might not want it.

This is not the same issue as measles where the long term data does not support the opinions of the anti vaxxers
But they don't care about the data

But they don't care about the data

So you are labelling those who are unsure about taking a COVID vaccination due to lack of testing and supporting data as anti vaxxers.

if that’s the case then that’s a very narrow minded POV

Eh, I'd just treat it the same way other other travel health requirements. "I'm going to XYZ, therefore I need a stamp for ABZ in my needle book".

Yeah, it's not Qantas's place to be enforcing things like this probably, but I figure capitalism will equalize, as they're potentially turning away customers. If there's enough money in people refusing to vaccinate, someone will cater for it (Hi Ryanair!). It's probably just jumping the start on international visitor arrival requirements though.

Now, where did I leave my gin and cold, left over, meat lover's pizza?

So you are labelling those who are unsure about taking a COVID vaccination due to lack of testing and supporting data as anti vaxxers.

if that’s the case then that’s a very narrow minded POV
The stink I've seen kicked up about this online is generally coming from known anti vaxx social media

I'm fine with medical exemptions, they can't have a blanket rule as their will be people who legitimately can't have the vaccine

But I'm not losing any sleep at all over people that don't vaccinate already due to personal choice being told they can't fly

Completely different scenarios. Not talking about infants getting vaccinated here.
The issue is the same
There are people that legit cannot have it and the only way to protect them is for others to have it who can

The more people that have it the better chance it has of stopping spread

We don't yet know whether the vaccines that become available will stop you getting it or reduce the severity

We do know that a % of people that have the vaccine won't get a benefit from it at all, that's normal with vaccinces

So the more people that opt out the worse we are

The stink I've seen kicked up about this online is generally coming from known anti vaxx social media

I'm fine with medical exemptions, they can't have a blanket rule as their will be people who legitimately can't have the vaccine

But I'm not losing any sleep at all over people that don't vaccinate already due to personal choice being told they can't fly
I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I will have the vaccine, my kids' vaccinations are all up to date, but if you can't see a genuine issue surrounding a vaccine that has been developed more rapidly and with less testing than any in recent history, you're being wilfully obtuse. I would want some pretty specific assurances before giving it to my quite young children, and the argument that '* 'em, they can't fly then' is poor. Young children have very different, developing bodies compared to adults, all other vaccinations have been studied over decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is completely accurate and shows how laughable not getting the vaccine and jumping on a plane would be.
Pedophiles are not viruses

I'm not an anti-vaxxer, I will have the vaccine, my kids' vaccinations are all up to date, but if you can't see a genuine issue surrounding a vaccine that has been developed more rapidly and with less testing than any in recent history, you're being wilfully obtuse. I would want some pretty specific assurances before giving it to my quite young children, and the argument that 'fu** 'em, they can't fly then' is poor. Young children have very different, developing bodies compared to adults, all other vaccinations have been studied over decades.
You make a fair point but qantas has no obligation to cater to you. If they want to enforce the rules that’s their call.

I said in the would you get the vaccine thread that I would, I’m not sure what threshold I would want to feel comfortable giving my kid it.

You make a fair point but qantas has no obligation to cater to you. If they want to enforce the rules that’s their call.

I said in the would you get the vaccine thread that I would, I’m not sure what threshold I would want to feel comfortable giving my kid it.

It's like arguing they persecute/discriminate against smokers - laughable

Wut? No wonder you don't understand the analogy
You were suggesting that we discriminate against convicted pedophiles by keeping them out of schools and that someone who doesn't get vaccinated should be kept out of planes for the same reason

But a sexual predator who preys on children and someone who isn't vaccinated aren't the same thing, you're assuming everyone not vaccinated has a choice in it which they don't always

There is also a difference between someone being selfish or into conspiracy theories and someone who who is a pedo

You were suggesting that we discriminate against convicted pedophiles by keeping them out of schools and that someone who doesn't get vaccinated should be kept out of planes for the same reason

But a sexual predator who preys on children and someone who isn't vaccinated aren't the same thing, you're assuming everyone not vaccinated has a choice in it which they don't always

There is also a difference between someone being selfish or into conspiracy theories and someone who who is a pedo

fine if there is legitimate medical grounds you can get out - but outside that you are on the trains with the pedos - and lets face it - the people railing against this do not have those medical grounds

The real analogy is that sticking someone who can spread the virus on a plane is about as smart as sticking a pedo in schools

Ummm... there are a number of countries which refuse entry unless you have been jabbed for various diseases. One recent example:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2e264ab58c43f94a3789d3f8671b3697

I don't see how this is much different to having a covid shot prior to an international departure by Qantas. In the above case they were stopped by South African Airways when checking in.

It used to be very common to get a whole shitload in one hit, check out the circular scar at the top of the left bicep on many travellers over 50.

Ummm... there are a number of countries which refuse entry unless you have been jabbed for various diseases. One recent example:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...s/news-story/2e264ab58c43f94a3789d3f8671b3697

I don't see how this is much different to having a covid shot prior to an international departure by Qantas. In the above case they were stopped by South African Airways when checking in.

It used to be very common to get a whole shitload in one hit, check out the circular scar at the top of the left bicep on many travellers over 50.

It being a requirement to enter a country is entirely different from Qantas implementing it.

This is also not what the original discussion was about. It was whether or not Qantas were being discriminatory

Qantas has no obligation to me, but neither do they have any right to dictate national policy. Joyce was talking as if all the airline bosses had made the decision when realistically health is a Federal decision. The government could just as easily tell them it's discriminatory. He's gone off half cocked to look good in the media when he probably should have waited for the Feds to lead.

It could be marketed as a safety feature
Fly with us as everyone onboard is vaxed or take the risk with our competitors

Let people airlines and destination countries make their own rules and decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back