Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tank with leftover fish and orphans. There was a problem with the big tank of African cichlids last year when I did a water change and failed to switch the heater plug board back on... water got down to 8 degrees after a few days, of 30ish fish only eight survived, including one with some brain damage. It was bent in half and spent its days flaked out on the plants drooling and going "durr durr" in fishyspeak, until feeding time when it would struggle mightily and wrestle its way to the top, grab a bite, and spiral back down as if shot by a Messerschmitt. Definitely one for euthanasing but I figured a fish which had that tenacity and will to live deserved to stay.

It died last week. I know this because it had a feed in the afternoon, and the following morning there was just a classic cartoon fish skeleton on the gravel. I went to pull it out later that day and it had gone. Absolutely nothing left. I do have a suspiciously bulging bristlenose.

I have a tank with leftover fish and orphans. There was a problem with the big tank of African cichlids last year when I did a water change and failed to switch the heater plug board back on... water got down to 8 degrees after a few days, of 30ish fish only eight survived, including one with some brain damage. It was bent in half and spent its days flaked out on the plants drooling and going "durr durr" in fishyspeak, until feeding time when it would struggle mightily and wrestle its way to the top, grab a bite, and spiral back down as if shot by a Messerschmitt. Definitely one for euthanasing but I figured a fish which had that tenacity and will to live deserved to stay.

It died last week. I know this because it had a feed in the afternoon, and the following morning there was just a classic cartoon fish skeleton on the gravel. I went to pull it out later that day and it had gone. Absolutely nothing left. I do have a suspiciously bulging bristlenose.

We have a cold water tank but it sits under the heater (missus has it running all the time in winter) so usually sits at temperatures warm enough for tropical fish. The missus decided to get some small 'tropical' fish

We went away for queens bday weekend so I turned the heater off. Come back and all of her fish were dead on the floor. At first we thought the yabby had got them and hadn't eaten them. I then put my hand in to get them out.....yep, water was bloody cold.

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Calling everyone who disagrees with you an anti-vaxxer doesn’t help your argument as much as you think it does. I’m not anti-vaxx at all, my kids vaccinations are up to date, I would likely get it for everyone in my family. But if you think, for example, a parent of a two-year-old who’s worried about a vaccine that hasn’t even finished trials after being developed in less than a year being made compulsory if they want to take their children overseas to see family is some kinda anti-vaxx lunatic, you’re well off the mark.

Are you aware of the various reactions young kids can have to just about anything in those early years? Nuts, eggs, milk, yes, vaccines. That’s why health issues such as vaccinations should be a matter for government, not a business looking to get as many people flying as soon as possible regardless of the potential implications.

But... haven’t we established that it’s not compulsory? Qantas saying you’ll need it to fly with them is not the same as a country mandating it as a requirement (I know the original issue was Joyce’s words sounding like national policy but they weren’t)

Scomo has said you’ll quarantine on your own dime if you haven’t gad the vaccination so you have an option (albeit an unpalatable one for many)

But... haven’t we established that it’s not compulsory? Qantas saying you’ll need it to fly with them is not the same as a country mandating it as a requirement (I know the original issue was Joyce’s words sounding like national policy but they weren’t)

Scomo has said you’ll quarantine on your own dime if you haven’t gad the vaccination so you have an option (albeit an unpalatable one for many)

It will be interesting to see if its all vaccines or certain vaccines they want to make as the rule - open to highest bidder?

I actually have less problem with the Federal Government making it a requirement of travel than I do with airlines taking on a quasi-governmental role and making it compulsory to travel overseas. As I mentioned early, there are plenty of countries that have vaccinations as a requirement of entry, that's within their scope. Likewise, the vaccination or quarantine is a suitable compromise. Joyce should have kept his powder dry and waited to see what the government decided. But he wanted the good publicity, probably didn't anticipate the level of blowback.

Need more fish stories. Pics of aquariums too pls.
I was once housesitting this guys place, very rich man (not sure what he did) and I was in charge of looking after his fish. Anyways I was using this piece of gym equipment where you hang from your ankles upside down to do crunches. Fast forward a little bit and I'd completely forgot about the toast I was cooking and it started to catch fire.

I was exhausted from the crunches so tried to swing myself up to get out of the exercise equipment to stop the toast burning the house down. Long story short I grabbed hold of the fish tank to help me balance and it broke, sending thousands of litres of water and expensive exotic fish everywhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually have less problem with the Federal Government making it a requirement of travel than I do with airlines taking on a quasi-governmental role and making it compulsory to travel overseas. As I mentioned early, there are plenty of countries that have vaccinations as a requirement of entry, that's within their scope. Likewise, the vaccination or quarantine is a suitable compromise. Joyce should have kept his powder dry and waited to see what the government decided. But he wanted the good publicity, probably didn't anticipate the level of blowback.

I really dont see how QANTAS making the vaccination mandatory for flying their airline is taking a quasi govt role. As i understand it (and apologies if im wrong) they arent making it mandatory for overseas travel, they are making it mandatory for overseas travel ON THEIR AIRLINE, which is absolutley within their scope to do.

Also has their been much blowback? I cant say im i finger on the pulse of the media type these days but other than you saying it pissed you off ive not seen anyone criticising it

I was once housesitting this guys place, very rich man (not sure what he did) and I was in charge of looking after his fish. Anyways I was using this piece of gym equipment where you hang from your ankles upside down to do crunches. Fast forward a little bit and I'd completely forgot about the toast I was cooking and it started to catch fire.

I was exhausted from the crunches so tried to swing myself up to get out of the exercise equipment to stop the toast burning the house down. Long story short I grabbed hold of the fish tank to help me balance and it broke, sending thousands of litres of water and expensive exotic fish everywhere.
and ....

We had a fish tank in the same room as our pool table. When bored we used to just roll the pool table balls up and down the table, I rolled one too hard or didn't let it go right and it flew up and smashed the fish tank. 70 odd litres of water on the floor in an instant

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Also has their been much blowback? I cant say im i finger on the pulse of the media type these days but other than you saying it pissed you off ive not seen anyone criticising it

The only blowback has been from anti-vaxx nutters that QANTAS would not give a flying * about.

I really dont see how QANTAS making the vaccination mandatory for flying their airline is taking a quasi govt role. As i understand it (and apologies if im wrong) they arent making it mandatory for overseas travel, they are making it mandatory for overseas travel ON THEIR AIRLINE, which is absolutley within their scope to do.

Yes, and he's said all the other airlines would likely follow suit. All airlines banning international travel without a vaccination is a quasi-governmental role. And yes, there's been criticism; the peak body governing airlines has even backed away from it, saying it's a premature call.

The only blowback has been from anti-vaxx nutters that QANTAS would not give a flying fu** about.
The thing about not being an ideologue is that sometimes it makes strange bedfellows. I don't like anti-vaxxers, they are lunatics, but that doesn't mean they can't accidentally find themselves adjacent to a valid point. We've all learnt new things during this pandemic, such as the average time to develop a vaccine is about four years. Yet here we have one that is less than 10 months old, hasn't even finished testing, and Joyce is making announcements about it on A Current Affair, for crying out loud. He's jumped the gun because he wants people handing over cash to him as soon as possible. It's not unreasonable to suggest he shouldn't be usurping the government's role in deciding whether people should be vaccinated when they come to Australia.

You he bitch... man whore

Yes, and he's said all the other airlines would likely follow suit. All airlines banning international travel without a vaccination is a quasi-governmental role. And yes, there's been criticism; the peak body governing airlines has even backed away from it, saying it's a premature call.

So the issue is that he has (likely with some information given his position) said that other airlines will likely follow suit? I mean, from a liability point of view id have been much more suprised if they didnt all enact the same or very similar policies.

How many people bitching were actually planning on flying Qantas internationally anyway?
I don't know who's bitching exactly, but I'd imagine a few; lots of people fly Qantas. Anti-vaxxers run high in the affluent suburbs :p

My issue is strictly the principle of it. Joyce and co don't have the expertise required to make decisions around this. Hell, we're learning today that AstraZeneca has been told it will have to conduct additional trials because its claims of 95 per cent effectiveness appear to have been overstated. That's what happens when you are forced to work this quickly.

I get it that people are afraid, they want life to go back to normal, they are willing to pounce on the possibility of a vaccine. But that doesn't mean we bypass the usual way of doing things or let profit-minded businesses assume decision-making roles.

I don't know who's bitching exactly, but I'd imagine a few; lots of people fly Qantas. Anti-vaxxers run high in the affluent suburbs :p

My issue is strictly the principle of it. Joyce and co don't have the expertise required to make decisions around this. Hell, we're learning today that AstraZeneca has been told it will have to conduct additional trials because its claims of 95 per cent effectiveness appear to have been overstated. That's what happens when you are forced to work this quickly.

I get it that people are afraid, they want life to go back to normal, they are willing to pounce on the possibility of a vaccine. But that doesn't mean we bypass the usual way of doing things or let profit-minded businesses assume decision-making roles.
Like I said you don't have to fly Qantas
I can guarantee you that the airlines will want international routes open before large scale vaccination programs are up and running

If Australia allows international travel with quarantine for those who can't or won't vaccinate I don't see Qantas saying no to taking the money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back