Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you’d be right in an apocalypse ha ha

I could be on my idea for a reality show about my caravan park I guess, I would barely be on camera with that bunch of characters though
iu

Reality TV has now been around more than 20 years and I still don't get why so many people want to go on some of these shows. Seriously, doesn't it bother them how they are portrayed on the shows in question, and the impact afterwards when the cameras have stopped rolling and its back to normal life?

As a hypothetical, say in an Australian movie actress Libby Tanner plays a stage mother who behaves like a Karen. People who see the movie know it is fiction, that Libby Tanner is an actress and she is playing a role. But if a female contestant on a reality show is portrayed as a stage mother/Karen, the line between reality and fiction is somewhat blurred, people assuming that she is like that all the time.

I was watching the footy on FTA over the weekend (which I usually don't do because of the ads) so was a little surprised about the attention Big Brother got. I can't believe they are still making it and people are watching it. I guess it's cheap, but it was a nothing show 20 years ago.

I guess they have a never-ending supply of contestants because the barrier to entry is low (don't need to be able to sing, cook, catch fish or be handy with tools). Just need to think you'll be the next Chrissie Swan or Fitzy or ??? (help me out here, surely there are others who used Big Brother as a stepping stone to achieve sustained fame / gigs in the entertainment industry?).

Anyway, don't like, don't understand, don't watch. But gee, FTA wants you to know what's going on when they shoehorn basically a clip show into a "long advert" during the quarter time break.

It must be a tough way to live life - having such a deep, driving need for recognition despite having a lack of discernible skills to achieve same. Poor souls. Thoughts and prayers.

I applied for Survivor and would sacrifice a hell of alot to do that show. Lifelong diehard fan and would love the experience (with no intention of going on to influencer fame or expectation of winning).

That one probably a little different, the stigma doesnt stick too hard with Survivor but id suggest some superfans would think of that when applying.

Survivor has a rep of playing with a fairly straight bat, doesn't it? It's not supposed to do much contrived stuff during the competition, just during editing?

You probably don't remember it, but sometime back in 2000/2001, just before Survivor was syndicated into Australia one of the networks screened a homegrown ripoff reality show called "Treasure Island" or some such. Basically two teams, challenges, one of the losing team voted off each week, winner take all. We had family who were pretty into it - so if we were round there, we'd all have to watch.

Anyway - I happened to kinda know a little bit one of the guys on the show. One of the teams was dominating (the team he was on), then one episode out of the blue the other team won. It seemed a bit disjointed and didn't flow well, and the team that lost looked properly hacked off. Like really angry.

Late in 2001 I had lunch with this bloke, and we're chatting about the show, and I asked him about the disjointed bit above.
He told me that both teams had camera crews and producers with them at all times, and the crews were in constant communication via radio (which makes sense). So on this challenge the producer has a chat on the radio and tells the team "OK - we're having a break. Sit down and grab some rest". Which they do. But they can hear the other team not far away, still moving. So they ask "Are you sure the other team is stopped as well? We can hear them moving". And were told "No, no. They are stopped as well. It might just be the production crew you can hear".​
After some time, they get moving again after radio comms, and reach their goal. A small bay where the prize was suspended above the water. And they are totally shocked to see the team who was never able to keep up with them was already there! They knew they had been held back to let the other team win one. They edited the footage when screened to show my mates team bursting through the scrub just as the winning team retrieved the prize, but in reality they had already retrieved it. He said the reason they all looked so hacked off was real, and it was because that was the moment when they realized they were playing a crooked game and being stage managed. Because it was such an emotive response, it was retained in the screened footage, just edited in out of sequence.​
He said after that, everyone stopped going as hard as they could and pushing themselves to the limit. They still tried, but realised there was no point risking hurting yourself. I think that came through in the show, because even the people who remember the show don't remember how it finished.​

I was watching the footy on FTA over the weekend (which I usually don't do because of the ads) so was a little surprised about the attention Big Brother got. I can't believe they are still making it and people are watching it. I guess it's cheap, but it was a nothing show 20 years ago.

I guess they have a never-ending supply of contestants because the barrier to entry is low (don't need to be able to sing, cook, catch fish or be handy with tools). Just need to think you'll be the next Chrissie Swan or Fitzy or ??? (help me out here, surely there are others who used Big Brother as a stepping stone to achieve sustained fame / gigs in the entertainment industry?).

Anyway, don't like, don't understand, don't watch. But gee, FTA wants you to know what's going on when they shoehorn basically a clip show into a "long advert" during the quarter time break.

It must be a tough way to live life - having such a deep, driving need for recognition despite having a lack of discernible skills to achieve same. Poor souls. Thoughts and prayers.
Blair made a go of it on neighbors and a few have radio gigs now around the country. I actually think Gemma might have made it the biggest with lip gloss stuff?

Tully and others in recent years have podcasts and seem to go pretty well for themselves as influencers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Me too. Used to watch it religiously, one of the best was season 2 of AR Asia.
I had never watched it but got totally addicted to AR Asia ...just watched a few minutes by mistake then had to watch the lot and do catch up on the ones I had missed before I started.

I would of loved a gig on Amazing Race

That's the one reality show I'd like to go on, you get to travel to some great places and do some cool stuff, some of the tasks look stressful though.

I like watching Survivor but I don't think I could handle being a contestant on it with the lack of food and other hardships they have to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back