Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't mind seeing blokes buying flowers on Valentine's….Reminds me of my own younger self, when I still believed in Romance.

The florist shops also depend upon this day to maintain a living.....Saw plenty of women buying them this year too.

$100 for 6 short stemmed roses off a table at the local shopping centre, I wouldn’t believe in romance either.

Haven’t been to a florist in over a decade.

Putting the "Mindy from reception got 486 flowers!" in a different context

I received them once from my girlfriend at the office as a 21 year old....Boy did the lads rip into me about it for weeks thereafter.....'Flower-Boy' is not a nick-name you want to cultivate in an all-male office.

Missus and I never do Valentine's Day and it's a fantastic agreement.

I did buy a teddy bear once but it was too cute and cuddly to leave on he shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's up with her ******* voice anyway, does she actually talk like that?
I imagine its just her style of signing where she emphasises certain sounds. Christina Aguilera did something similar, didn't she?

As for her everyday voice, she probably sounds like a Frankston bogan.

Reminds me of the old gag. Took the missus on holiday to the Caribbean. Where, Jamaica? Nah she wanted to go.

This gag reminds me of Kingswood Country.

Ted: 'My wife went to Jamaica. Where, in the Caribbean? Nah she went of her own accord'

Followed by the predictable argument between Bruno and Ted about how he's saying it wrong and doesn't understand why it's funny. And no doubt some casual racism thrown in.

Acceptable racism in media is just something that varies with time. The Major in Fawlty Towers referred to the West Indian cricket team as n----rs (not sure if that auto-censors) and that has been cut from modern broadcasts. The whole point of the reference was that the character was old and racist even by 1970s standards but it's still been cut.

Kingswood Country seems outdated, but then Chris Lilley pretends to be a Tongan teenager, US rapper, Japanese mother etc. 30 years later and people find it hilarious. Shows like The Wire and Sons of Anarchy contain heaps of racist language and stereotypes but the point is provide context. People would tune out pretty quickly if street gang members start addressing each other with non threatening, gender neutral PC language.

Acceptable racism in media is just something that varies with time. The Major in Fawlty Towers referred to the West Indian cricket team as n----rs (not sure if that auto-censors) and that has been cut from modern broadcasts. The whole point of the reference was that the character was old and racist even by 1970s standards but it's still been cut.
I used this exact quote as my sig about two years ago. Got a week off due to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back