Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s going to be a hard one to take back - that and newstart
I hope they realise they shouldn't

Perfect time for the greens advocates that have been campaigning for these things to get on the front foot about keeping it

The changes to childcare costs have seriously disadvantaged the childcare centres though. The government is only paying 50% or so of what they were being paid previously.
I think they know a lot of the "costs" are profits, they pay the staff * all compared to what they charge.

I'd be surprised if even a quarter of kids are attending child care at the moment compared to march.

My daycare charges $110 per day but my gap fee is only $45. That’s a huge drop.
I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying their model has been built on profiteering.
They over charge parents and under pay staff

There are a lot of businesses that are getting no compensation at all currently either

I would like to revise my previous comment to 'I don't understand anything about childcare at all'.

Ratio of kiddies to staff is 4:1 up to 10:1 depending on age.

$110 a day x 4 kids = $440. Maths. Median salary in the industry is apparently $55k, so $211 a day. The lowest paid workers only get $135 a day.

If you are looking after kids older than 3 then it's 10:1 so every day you'd be paying someone $135-250 a day and pocketing $1100.

Someone is making a killing out of this.

I would like to revise my previous comment to 'I don't understand anything about childcare at all'.

$110 a day x 4 kids = $440. Maths. Median salary in the industry is apparently $55k, so $211 a day. The lowest paid workers only get $135 a day.

If you are looking after kids older than 3 then it's 10:1 so every day you'd be paying someone $135-250 a day and pocketing $1100.

They’ve got huge overheads too. They supply five meals a day per child and if the educators are paid up to $38 an hour plus there’s a chef, admin staff, a director, an educational leader and so on. In my centre there’s 8 rooms that all need to be stocked with nappies, spare clothes, milk, toys, activities. Plus rent for the building, contract cleaning, incursion costs, insurance etc etc.

Not saying that it’s not profitable but it’s not fair to only take wages into consideration

I'm not saying it isn't, I'm saying their model has been built on profiteering.
They over charge parents and under pay staff

There are a lot of businesses that are getting no compensation at all currently either
A lot of businesses aren’t expected to remain open to look after rooms of multiple little germ factories with no concept of social distancing.

It was a Liberal Party donor thingy when it first started under Howard

Dutton became very rich from it and so did other Libs
You buy a cheap crap house on a main street and get a licence to print money basically

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of businesses aren’t expected to remain open to look after rooms of multiple little germ factories with no concept of social distancing.
The issue is that it shouldn't be a for profit industry in the first place.
The Government has been unwilling to fund childcare, they are doing everything they can to under fund public education.

Fully funding this would be admitting that parents shouldn't have been paying. Fully funding this ensures the profits of the existing centres

Do you think that they are going to be running at close to half capacity during the next 6 months though?

That's the question. They will get the jobkeeper to help fund the staff, then 50% of their normal revenue to fund everything else when they are looking at probably less than 20% of the kids coming in.

So per kid their rate is going up. Be interesting to see how close to the bone it is, reckon some will struggle more than others but my point was that they are getting a much bigger bail out than most while the government still tries to pretend they aren't essential and shouldn't be publicly funded an run as a service.

Given how they tend to treat their staff from people I know that work in the industry I'm not too worried about the owners feeling the squeeze.

The issue is that it shouldn't be a for profit industry in the first place.
The Government has been unwilling to fund childcare, they are doing everything they can to under fund public education.

Fully funding this would be admitting that parents shouldn't have been paying. Fully funding this ensures the profits of the existing centres

Do you think that they are going to be running at close to half capacity during the next 6 months though?

That's the question. They will get the jobkeeper to help fund the staff, then 50% of their normal revenue to fund everything else when they are looking at probably less than 20% of the kids coming in.

So per kid their rate is going up. Be interesting to see how close to the bone it is, reckon some will struggle more than others but my point was that they are getting a much bigger bail out than most while the government still tries to pretend they aren't essential and shouldn't be publicly funded an run as a service.

Given how they tend to treat their staff from people I know that work in the industry I'm not too worried about the owners feeling the squeeze.
My mum worked in childcare for twenty or so years, I know all about it. It pains me because my son’s educators are amazing and I just want them to be able to keep running the centre. It’s the family day carers who are really losing out.
Glad I no longer have to pay just to keep my son at home during iso though.

My mum worked in childcare for twenty or so years, I know all about it. It pains me because my son’s educators are amazing and I just want them to be able to keep running the centre. It’s the family day carers who are really losing out.
Glad I no longer have to pay just to keep my son at home during iso though.
We've got local businesses going broke because they are too small for the payroll tax relief, they are hospo so their staff are not elligible for jobkeeper due to a combination of age, nationality, length of employment etc.

I've got relatives and friends who are out of work

It's not pretty for a lot of people unfortunately

We've got local businesses going broke because they are too small for the payroll tax relief, they are hospo so their staff are not elligible for jobkeeper due to a combination of age, nationality, length of employment etc.

I've got relatives and friends who are out of work

It's not pretty for a lot of people unfortunately
I work in hospo, you’re preaching the the choir G!

I know someone in retail whos company(well known big one) hasnt hit the 30% down figure so they are staying open until then
Lots of online orders were people are picking it up .
The staff basically twiddle their thumbs waiting for the 2 customers a day that actually walk in and then hope they dont get coughed on
They would rather be home
Another one is trading until the money comes in a few weeks
Most staff are on massively reduced hours some are being looked after others are being cut back

They’ve got huge overheads too. They supply five meals a day per child and if the educators are paid up to $38 an hour plus there’s a chef, admin staff, a director, an educational leader and so on. In my centre there’s 8 rooms that all need to be stocked with nappies, spare clothes, milk, toys, activities. Plus rent for the building, contract cleaning, incursion costs, insurance etc etc.

Not saying that it’s not profitable but it’s not fair to only take wages into consideration

All businesses have overheads. Sounds like a shitty business model then if you ask me. Not sure the govt should be subsidising a chef to make peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

This isn't the unpopular opinions thread but early childhood education is about due for a reality check. Parents put kids in childcare so they can go to work. I think some people on both sides of the fence have lost sight of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back