Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are the only options. Look after them yourself, or someone else does.
unfortunately nobody looks after them is an actual option and happens

Here is a thought, if you are going to have kids how about take some responsibility and either one of the parents take off the time to actually look after them, or pay up for someone else to do it for you.
Or if the problem is an aging population, you encourage people to have kids and participate with a childcare/early education system which is government funded and if you want to go private go for it, but the system is there for everyone and its included in existing infrastructure or land already owned like schools.

I think there are people with the time and means to spend more time parenting with their children who at times prioritise themselves and career when they're in a position where they are already in a stable mental and financial position. This creates demand, supply gets more exclusive, those without face choices where it's easier to just be on Centrelink, out of work, etc, and don't get opportunities to better themselves.

I certainly that two full time working parents may not always be necessary and can put strain on the system. I guess that might include grandparents still in the workforce that fit the above.

Some people have regular 'time outs' from kids and it seems to me that they're trying to maintain the glamour a pre children lifestyle when that shouldn't be an option. I question when times get tough like they are now if they're up to challenge of raising good kids.

Excellent post, and since you have kid(s) you get away with it.

Parents have become more and more selfish over time. Parents now aren't like parents of my era because they themselves weren't kids of the 50s and 60s. And parents of my era weren't like those who were raised by the generation who grew up in the depression era. Parents now were kids of the 80s and 90s and even 2000s. When you start raising kids to believe they are all special (as took hold in the 90s and later) what do you think happens when those kids become parents? Not only do they think their kids are special, they think they are special.

Like any generalisation it's not an all parents thing, but it's a trend. I can remember as far back as maybe 4 years old. I remember pre-primary and year 1, hazy before that. I don't remember going out to restaurants at that time. That was an adult thing. Parents now don't seem to think twice about taking young kids, the onus is on everyone else to accommodate them. I remember if I played up in public I'd be taken aside and if I didn't pull my head in we'd go home. These days people just let their kids run free and if the kids play up then again the onus is on everyone else to suck it up. I'm never surprised to see parents prioritising what they want then acting shocked when they have to compromise and make sacrifices. Having kids is hard, that's not new info.

I'm not really talking welfare, moreso the availability of exclusivity of services already available being sucked up.

Some people shouldn't have kids and those people aren't always Centrelink people. Some of them can just afford to despite their time spent parenting being negligible.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Lots of people happy to let the state be a third parent for their kid. Also, as this pandemic has shown, there is a large portion of people in this country who refuse to make any adjustments or compromises in their daily lives no matter the circumstances, whether it be a health crisis or having a kid.

I wonder how often not being able to 'afford' it means not along with the annual overseas holiday, new car repayments and a heap of other crap they don't really need.
or just food and mortgage/rental payments on a minimum wage or unsecure casual wage

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how often not being able to 'afford' it means not along with the annual overseas holiday, new car repayments and a heap of other crap they don't really need.

One of my old bosses had two kids younger than school age and bought a caravan. He's financially well off to afford to fly a family of 4 around but said it wasn't worth it for the hassle, age of the kids etc. so a van could let them take short trips which the kids would enjoy. Jetstar dislikes this.

One of my old bosses had two kids younger than school age and bought a caravan. He's financially well off to afford to fly a family of 4 around but said it wasn't worth it for the hassle, age of the kids etc. so a van could let them take short trips which the kids would enjoy. Jetstar dislikes this.

rich man has a choice.... bully for him

In terms of career I agree that someone has to take a back seat, at least for the early years.

This is true, in my case it's my wife. It's really an economic decision for us as I earn more money, though I do have a view that generally women are better at the early years stuff (I think this is a controversial view these days). But I have two mates whose wives earn more and they've gone back full time and they work 2-3 days a week and love it, i reckon i would too.

One issue I have with modern feminism is that often it will say that women shouldn't concentrate on their kids at the expense of their career. It's as if they think women need a career to be fulfilled, not family. Surely having children should be more fulfilling than some ******* job where they'll give you the arse as quick as look at you when things are going bad (like now)?

This is true, in my case it's my wife. It's really an economic decision for us as I earn more money, though I do have a view that generally women are better at the early years stuff (I think this is a controversial view these days). But I have two mates whose wives earn more and they've gone back full time and they work 2-3 days a week and love it, i reckon i would too.

One issue I have with modern feminism is that often it will say that women shouldn't concentrate on their kids at the expense of their career. It's as if they think women need a career to be fulfilled, not family. Surely having children should be more fulfilling than some ******* job where they'll give you the arse as quick as look at you when things are going bad (like now)?
I’ve always been the more naturally child minded one than my wife. She stayed home at first because I was earning more and also breast feeding. But I’d ditch my job in a heartbeat and stay home with the kids if I could afford to.

And the old lets give tax cuts and franking credits and allow singapore slings because thats more important for rich people than child care for the poor
Old people that actually took the responsibility of looking after their kids?

IMO feminism should be about choice. Nothing wrong with choosing to stay home with your babies. In our house I’ve dropped to part time while the kids are young. When they go to school then my husband will drop to school hours and I will go back FT. I have the greater earning capacity and I’m more ambitious so it makes sense for us this way.
They’re only little once. I don’t want to miss out on their tiny years but also being a stay at home mum made me a bit mental so I feel like I have a good balance now.

If you can't afford kids don't have kids.
If the question boils down to 'can we afford it' maybe you still shouldn't. As stated, people just buying surrogate parents.

How about 'can we be bothered to be with our children on a more than part time basis?' before worrying about the dollars?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back