Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
The State of Origin is probably the most watchable sporting event in the country.
I enjoy the build up. The passion both sides (players and supporters) show. But once the game starts, its just a bunch of guys running into eachother 5 times and kick. And a player only seems to het thru to make a run if a player on the defensive team is ball watching or gets faked out. Theyneed to watch the hips. Hips dont lie. Shakira was right.
Ive tried to get into it i really have, but to me there seems to be no game plan, not enough kicking or scoreboard pressure and its boring af.

But each to his own

Pistol Night

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I enjoy the build up. The passion both sides (players and supporters) show. But once the game starts, its just a bunch of guys running into eachother 5 times and kick. And a player only seems to het thru to make a run if a player on the defensive team is ball watching or gets faked out. Theyneed to watch the hips. Hips dont lie. Shakira was right.
Ive tried to get into it i really have, but to me there seems to be no game plan, not enough kicking or scoreboard pressure and its boring af.

But each to his own
I used to watch it mainly just to see how long it took before they started clubbing the s**t out of each other

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

But each to his own
the rugby codes are very tactical and it helps a lot if you grew up playing the game

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I enjoy Union but League is so boring I can't watch ten seconds of it.
I’m the exact opposite, ive tried to watch Union and it just doesn’t make sense, you literally never have to give the ball up so why on earth would you kick it away all the time (I’m not looking for an answer and I know it’s something about territory that I don’t get it’s just not for me)

I love league and Afl and frankly every criticism of either from supporters of the other is pretty amusing. Sitting with a mate watching the storm a few weeks back then the afl after and his critique of AFL was just hilariously uninformed.

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m the exact opposite, ive tried to watch Union and it just doesn’t make sense, you literally never have to give the ball up so why on earth would you kick it away all the time (I’m not looking for an answer and I know it’s something about territory that I don’t get it’s just not for me)

I love league and Afl and frankly every criticism of either from supporters of the other is pretty amusing. Sitting with a mate watching the storm a few weeks back then the afl after and his critique of AFL was just hilariously uninformed.

I think it's safe to say if I grew up in New South I'd hate AFL too. I have a mate from Sydney, he's basically like me in every way except for our footy codes.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't see too many tactics I must admit, a brutal war of attrition sure but I don't notice the dynamics of it.
A lot of it is about angles (in terms of kicking, running and off-the-ball positioning). Gaining territory is about creating space, and that means using field geometry and ball location to manoeuvre your players and those of the opposition to create exploitable gaps.

personally like craigos I prefer union by a large margin, but there is certainly something to be said for the faster and more open style of play engendered by having no rucks, no proper forward pack and four fewer players on the field

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Its too stop-start.

I always thought car racing shouldnt be classed as a sport but guess its own motorsport category technically.

Running/walking and swimming etc are probably the only true "sports" where equipment isnt involved

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Running and swimming absolutely have equipment and it’s regulated.

Swimming had to outlaw certain types of suits and Kipchoges sub 2 hour marathon was run in “illegal” shoes.

Yeah I don't think looking at equipment involved is a valid or definitive criteria.

Sailing requires equipment most of us cannot afford and not many would argue it's not a sport. Tag involves no equipment at all, but not many would argue it's a sport.

Chess?
Horse racing?
Hopscotch?
E-sports?

Just curious as to what the people of BigFooty would classify the above...

Back