Education & Reference Things that Have you Lose Concept of Time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
History can be quite distant yet, when you dig deeper, 2 particular events or 2 particular people were actually closer than they thought.

Betty White, who's 98 years old, was born 7 years before Martin Luther King and Anne Frank while Frank Sinatra was 14 years older than MLK and Anne Frank.

Pablo Picasso was 8 years old when the Eiffel Tower completed construction.

From a footy point of view, former West Coast forward Troy Wilson, who debuted in 2001, is 6 years older than Matthew Lloyd who made his VFL/AFL debut for Essendon in 1995 at 17 years old.

Tory Dickson is less than a year older than Scott Pendlebury and Joel Selwood.

Finally, Geelong mature aged draftee from 2011, Orren Stephenson, is older than Chris Judd and Daniel Kerr.

Jimmy Carter left the White House as the first Gen Y babies were born. Carrie Coon, Brendan Fevola, Elijah Wood, Alicia Keys, Alicia Molik, etc. were all born the week after he left office. Films like Chariots of Fire, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gallipoli hadn’t been seen yet.

In other words, some big 40th anniversaries approaching.

Last edited:
Donald Trump (now 74) was 35 when Ronald Reagan became president and 46 when Bill Clinton became president.

Jimmy Carter left the White House as the first Gen Y babies were born. Carrie Coon, Brendan Fevola, Elijah Wood, Alicia Keys, Alicia Molik, etc. were all born the week after he left office. Films like Chariots of Fire, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gallipoli hadn’t been seen yet.

In other words, some big 40th anniversaries approaching.

The Moscow Olympics were 40 years ago. I still remember them like they were yesterday even though I was only 12 at the time.

The first stand-alone Simpsons episode aired only a month after the Berlin Wall came down.

I find perception of time in our own lives really interesting. One day when I was holidaying, I did a very quick whistle-stop tour of a few different cities in ~16 hours - it was amazing how long a day like that feels when you're mind is constantly being stimulated with new environments. By the time I was done, 7am honestly felt like it had been a couple days ago.

WFH this year was the opposite - seeing the same 4 walls day-in, day-out at times this year, time flies. Hard to believe it's almost Christmas.

Whenever i compare myself to my mum eg... im her age rn, when she had a husband, mortgage and 3 kids, the youngest being me at 10years old. WTAF.

I still think of myself as a kid who hasnt exactly grown up, as i got none of that.
Yer, I remember when my parents were turning 40 and I was 16 thinking how bloody old they were, I'm now 61, my oldest grandchild is 15, time f....ng flies.

It never changes, I still think of myself as a big wrinkly kid.

I blows me away to think many of us have met family member who lived through the great depression and fought in WW2

My great grand mother was born in 1901, and passed when I was around 10, which is the year Australia became a country

My grand dad said when he was 50 that that was too old to fly and we would have to go and see him from now on
We believed him

I blows me away to think many of us have met family member who lived through the great depression and fought in WW2

My great grand mother was born in 1901, and passed when I was around 10, which is the year Australia became a country

Same- my great grandma died at 99, only a few months off the 100. IIRC she didnt make the 2000s, so she would have been born around 1900.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

17 beers when i told the missus i was dropping in for 1 quick one

A guy in the office who is now a teetotaller says "1 beer is too many, 100 beers is not enough"

Last edited:
Donald Trump (now 74) was 35 when Ronald Reagan became president and 46 when Bill Clinton became president.
On this note, Paul Keating (76) is younger than Joe Biden (78).

Whenever i compare myself to my mum eg... im her age rn, when she had a husband, mortgage and 3 kids, the youngest being me at 10years old. WTAF.

I still think of myself as a kid who hasnt exactly grown up, as i got none of that.

I'm the same age my Mum was when my Dad died, and I'm the same age my Dad was when he retired.

I am definitely a man-child. I am OK with this.

I tried to adult. Married, house in the 'burbs, climb the corporate ladder, etc.. Felt like an actor in a play the whole time. Man-child is more fun.

On this note, Paul Keating (76) is younger than Joe Biden (78).
Keating at least seems to still know what planet he is on.
I'm the same age my Mum was when my Dad died, and I'm the same age my Dad was when he retired.

I am definitely a man-child. I am OK with this.

I tried to adult. Married, house in the 'burbs, climb the corporate ladder, etc.. Felt like an actor in a play the whole time. Man-child is more fun.
'There's no point in being grown up if you can't act a little childish sometimes'

History can be quite distant yet, when you dig deeper, 2 particular events or 2 particular people were actually closer than they thought.

Betty White, who's 98 years old, was born 7 years before Martin Luther King and Anne Frank while Frank Sinatra was 14 years older than MLK and Anne Frank.

Pablo Picasso was 8 years old when the Eiffel Tower completed construction.

From a footy point of view, former West Coast forward Troy Wilson, who debuted in 2001, is 6 years older than Matthew Lloyd who made his VFL/AFL debut for Essendon in 1995 at 17 years old.

Tory Dickson is less than a year older than Scott Pendlebury and Joel Selwood.

Finally, Geelong mature aged draftee from 2011, Orren Stephenson, is older than Chris Judd and Daniel Kerr.

Tory Dickson is apparently the King of Tinder and racks up some serious numbers, that's all I have to add.

Trump, Clinton and Dubya are all the same age, and Obama is obviously younger.

Weird to think that 24 years and 6 terms after Clinton was elected they just ended up with a guy as old as Clinton. And will soon have someone even older.

John Howard was PM from age 57-68, and while he had been in parliament for about 1,000 years before becoming PM by the time he lost to Kevin 07 he had transitioned from boring middle aged guy to boring old guy. Can't picture one of his cronies running for PM now. Peter Costello is 63, Alexander Downer is 69, Tony Abbott is 63, even Malcolm Turnbull is 66. To be comparable to the US they'd have to dig up Phillip Ruddock or Wilson Tuckey or something. Bob Hawke was in office from age 54-62 and out of politics at age 63 in 1992. Could you imagine him running in the 2007 election at age 78? Just seems so far fetched, yet the US ended up with a 74 year old vs a 78 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back