Roast Things that Irk and Pet Peeves

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the fairest but I can't see the afl saying yes to less money
Next best would be a rotating fixture.

So once you have played everyone it goes back to the start.

Would still have double ups in this case but until we get enough teams for a 22/23 round season without double ups AFL will always give them.

Actually wouldn't surprise me if we ever got to enough teams the AFL made the season into 26 games or so just to keep the unfair double ups.

But let's face it, nobody wants five fewer games of footy per year. Especially not all those who would suffer from having five fewer rounds in their wallet - players, AFL...

I don't mind the systems that some have proposed of splitting off the league into three from that point - bottom six play for the #1 pick, middle six play for the chance to make the finals, top six play for the best seedings going into the finals.
Could always supplement the missing games with thing like SOO or the like.

30 second rule for goal kicking
Im fine with this rule when the player has a shot on goal but when a player chooses to pass to another player inside 50 it should be play on. This effectively is another field kick which only allows for about 6 seconds. It’s very noticeable when a game is in the balance with about a minute to go. The first player holds onto it for 25 seconds to then pass it to another player who does the same to run down the clock. If after the first kick, play on is called the opponent now has 35 seconds to get it down the other end. It makes for a more exciting finish.

Umpires coaching
“don’t do anything silly your team already has the free kick”.
This disadvantages the team who didn’t receive the coaching who potentially miss out on a free kick.
Umpires shouldn’t be telling players how to play the game and should be just pulling them up when they do something wrong.

Dropping the ball
Players when tackled are now deliberately loosening their grip on the footy enough for the ball to spill free to avoid having to handball. This has always and should be judged as a dropping the ball but it’s now being interpreted as play on.
I totally agree on the 30 second rule. If it is passed, play on unless the defender marks it.
It is a controversy waiting to happen when a team wins a major match having wound the clock down by repeated passes to allow the 30 seconds on each occasion.

Here's one that really irks me: the nepotism in the media. Here's a short-ish list:

Xander McGuire - don't need to tell you who Daddy is, but Xander is now a sports reporter at Channel Nine... and according to LinkedIn, he hasn't even finished his Bachelor degree yet.
Seb Costello - Peter's son.
Caroline Wilson - Daughter of a very famous Richmond president
Christie Malthouse - Daughter of Mick
Tom Browne - Son of Jeff Browne, the lawyer usually picked to represent anything at the Tribunal and now the Collingwood president
Sam McClure - son of journalist Geoff McClure
Ben Guthrie - AFL writer, brother of Cam and Zach
Sam Lane - Daughter of commentary legend Tim Lane
Mark Cometti (does stats on Triple M in the west) - Son of Denis

You might not like Damien Barrett, but at least he didn't rely on the family tree to shake down an apple.

Letting players who take kick-ins have a disposal added. It artificially pumps up the stats in a game where stats have far too much prominence already, and makes it look like defenders who were so-so to crap were actually decent.
If Tom Stewart kicks in 11 times, plays on 11 times and hits up a teammate 11 times I am more than happy for these possessions to be counted. What I don’t agree with is, if he stayed in the goal square these same kicks aren’t counted despite being just as effective.
Midfielder have been padding their stats for years with cheeky 1-2s and it’s time the defenders get rewarded for the great work they do.

Really? And no other player gets suspended? You said "crickets for everyone else".

Sicily got 3 weeks for something just as innocuous if anything even more minor. That was after Close too.

Actually, Close got 1 week after the Adelaide one earlier in the year (which everyone I'm sure agrees was ridiculous as most are), but then he got the Sydney suspension overturned. Strange outcome if there's a conspiracy against Geelong players.
I could probably quote a few against Hawkins over the years but can't arsed. EDIT: See Cats_09 post above re this.

Let's just stick with the inconsistency of the umpiring then. All IMO of course.

By and large - i think the AFL with the extreme rule changes has done a fantastic job - the proof is in the pudding - and i like the product at present and as a result are watching plenty of neutral games and enjoying them= and looking forward to watching them

4-5 years ago AFL was basically unwatchable - 15 minutes into the 1st qtr neither side would have scored -and there were some presasons i thought to myself will i just totally give AFL away - Geel included - because the product was so dire so you would turn it off - contrast to this year - i think the Port game on the weekend - the combined 1st qtr score of both teams was the equal highest of the year . Cats have done that multiple times and i find that exciting both Ess games - both Port games - Coll game . Its like a boxing match - you want action from the word go - not just sparring and jabbing

By and large if think the game is well umpired - only beef their is - as others have mentioned - the 15 metre distance for a mark - and paying 8-10 metre marks - which should be called play on . The video ref to me has really speeded up their act which is good

I like the Cats in the White shorts - looks good - and common sense says - with all that white - as a result we dont clash with many other jumpers - so we can wear our proper beautiful Geel jumper in most games - which is fantastic to me - because some of those other clubs alternate jumpers are shockers and represent nothing about their club

Im not a whinger so i have got few complaints - one thing that does irk me - is the overrating of young players on this board . When Geel get a midfielder with Chris Judds pace and can kick 60 metre drop punts - thats when you get excited !!!
And also the self patronising nonsense in the off season - post after post re the 3 new Geel recruits - alah - oh they will be trained the Geel way - they will be taught the Geel way - what a load of craap - you need talent and ability

Next best would be a rotating fixture.

So once you have played everyone it goes back to the start.

Would still have double ups in this case but until we get enough teams for a 22/23 round season without double ups AFL will always give them.

Actually wouldn't surprise me if we ever got to enough teams the AFL made the season into 26 games or so just to keep the unfair double ups.
Would be a good way to do it but if you had a year where Adelaide, Brisbane, Western Bulldogs, and West Coast were the bottom 4 then someone is getting an armchair ride. If not alphabetical then whatever fixed order it is runs that problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion data, make everything publicly available, NBA and MLB do that.
Camera angles, If they could do press red for Eddie, why can' they do press red for behind the goals vision.
Prior opportunity, getting rid of it and letting umpires make quicker calls would speed up the game.

Im not a whinger so i have got few complaints - one thing that does irk me - is the overrating of young players on this board . When Geel get a midfielder with Chris Judds pace and can kick 60 metre drop punts - thats when you get excited !!!
And also the self patronising nonsense in the off season - post after post re the 3 new Geel recruits - alah - oh they will be trained the Geel way - they will be taught the Geel way - what a load of craap - you need talent and ability
Look, all I'm saying is that Holmes/Bruhn/Knevitt/Clark/Mullin is the next Judd/Dangerfield/Bontempelli/whoever and I will not be moved in the issue

Champion data, make everything publicly available, NBA and MLB do that.
Camera angles, If they could do press red for Eddie, why can' they do press red for behind the goals vision.
Prior opportunity, getting rid of it and letting umpires make quicker calls would speed up the game.
This

All the good data seems hard to get. I want to know how our score launches from d50 have changed game by game since last year

Or at least get your analysts to use the data!

Watching Port Power replay.
What is it about O'Henry that irks?
A: He always attempts to mark.
Must learn when a spoil is better option.
Close and Stengle are adept crumber's
Is it just me?

Curious what are things that irk you?
Fess Up!

Dangers goal Kicking
Kolo's short pass clangers
I have to say, great idea for a thread

30 second rule for goal kicking
Im fine with this rule when the player has a shot on goal but when a player chooses to pass to another player inside 50 it should be play on. This effectively is another field kick which only allows for about 6 seconds. It’s very noticeable when a game is in the balance with about a minute to go. The first player holds onto it for 25 seconds to then pass it to another player who does the same to run down the clock. If after the first kick, play on is called the opponent now has 35 seconds to get it down the other end. It makes for a more exciting finish.

Umpires coaching
“don’t do anything silly your team already has the free kick”.
This disadvantages the team who didn’t receive the coaching who potentially miss out on a free kick.
Umpires shouldn’t be telling players how to play the game and should be just pulling them up when they do something wrong.

Dropping the ball
Players when tackled are now deliberately loosening their grip on the footy enough for the ball to spill free to avoid having to handball. This has always and should be judged as a dropping the ball but it’s now being interpreted as play on.
Like the first one. hadnt thought of that before.

They're a private company AFAIK, that's basically giving up the golden-egg-laying goose for free.
Or the afl can buy it from them and publish it

I think it would be worth it from the afl to pay out a full year of champion data and just publish it free as a one off. See what media it generates. Could drive some conversations and build the fan base. Might get some people to pay up for champion data the next year too

Or the afl can buy it from them and publish it

I think it would be worth it from the afl to pay out a full year of champion data and just publish it free as a one off. See what media it generates. Could drive some conversations and build the fan base. Might get some people to pay up for champion data the next year too
Basically put, they'd need to buy the whole organisation.

It's like RPData - I can purchase access to the data, but I absolutely cannot just share it with any other organisation.

Also can we have a 100% board censorship of anything to do with Kane Cornes

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back