Roast Things that Irk and Pet Peeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Port Power replay.
What is it about O'Henry that irks?
A: He always attempts to mark.
Must learn when a spoil is better option.
Close and Stengle are adept crumber's
Is it just me?

Curious what are things that irk you?
Fess Up!

Dangers goal Kicking
Kolo's short pass clangers
Good thread but DISAGREE with the Ollie Henry critique. He plays to his strengths, and he is a great contested and OH mark. He has not missed a game this year that I can recall, and is clearly pleasing the MC. Can anyone recall a 20 yo medium forward being so prolific at Geelong at this stage of career?
SJ took a while, and Menzel was similar.

Good thread but DISAGREE with the Ollie Henry critique. He plays to his strengths, and he is a great contested and OH mark. He has not missed a game this year that I can recall, and is clearly pleasing the MC. Can anyone recall a 20 yo medium forward being so prolific at Geelong at this stage of career?
Quite simply, no.

In a year of chronic ups and downs for the team, Ollie has shown plenty. And the prospects for an even brighter future in coming seasons are clear to see. So leave him alone, all of you.

All. Of. You.

Quite simply, no.

In a year of chronic ups and downs for the team, Ollie has shown plenty. And the prospects for an even brighter future in coming seasons are clear to see. So leave him alone, all of you.

All. Of. You.
Your avatar is brilliant.
Jack has been one of my 3 favourites for a while (CGuthrie, Blicavs the other 2), and I am rapt in what Ollie brings to us.

Umpires:
  1. overcontrolling the game
  2. inconsistency between umpires
  3. inconsistency by the same umpire within a game
  4. our guys getting rubbed out then crickets for anyone else
  5. score reviews that take forever

Any examples of this? Personally I think it's a complete myth.

Selwood got 1 week, Under the Don't touch an injured player rule.
For giving his older bro a friendly push
after they collided near the boundary line at Subiaco.
Similar but less aggressive that JH-F shove = 50m penalty
following the Stewart in the back free late in Q4

Despite Selwood being hit to the head multiple times
recall the StK player sliding into his face
leaving him concussed and bleeding from the mouth

No one ever got suspended hot hitting Joel.

Hawkins got suspended for :-
Touching an umpires hip and for a Jumper Punch
Plenty of players have done similar without consequence.

Yep: MENZEL

Your avatar is brilliant.
Jack has been one of my 3 favourites for a while (CGuthrie, Blicavs the other 2), and I am rapt in what Ollie brings to us.
Inside the top 25 of players across the league for goals each week in 2023. And yet we still have posters here questioning his role within the team.

I believe the M.C. would be extremely pleased with what he's provided, given his youth and lack of exposure to our system at this point. And this is truly only the beginning with Ollie as well. Better days ahead...

Yep: MENZEL
Henry’s on track to kick 40 goals in his 3rd season. Menzel didn’t achieve that until his 5th.

Obviously there’s an ACL in there for Menzel but he was not as prolific as Henry anyway.

Selwood got 1 week, Under the Don't touch an injured player rule.
For giving his older bro a friendly push
after they collided near the boundary line at Subiaco.

Similar but less aggressive that JH-F shove = 50m penalty
following the Stewart in the back free late in Q4

No doubt at all that was a bullshit report by a typically overzealous tribunal.

But he also got a reprimand, and played the next week against St.Kilda. He wasn't suspended.

Inside the top 25 of players across the league for goals each week in 2023. And yet we still have posters here questioning his role within the team.

I believe the M.C. would be extremely pleased with what he's provided, given his youth and lack of exposure to our system at this point. And this is truly only the beginning with Ollie as well. Better days ahead...
TOTALLY agree

Henry’s on track to kick 40 goals in his 3rd season. Menzel didn’t achieve that until his 5th.

Obviously there’s an ACL in there for Menzel but he was not as prolific as Henry anyway.
He would've been but that's not worth going over in too much detail again.

I would hope O.Henry continues to develop at pace and become the Menzel we should've gotten to see. Excellent early signs, much to work on but it's great to see his output so early on with that in mind.

Here's one, drawn from material offered so far in this thread.

The ongoing discussion (by commentators and fans of the game) around the 'deliberate out of bounds' rule, despite the fact that a rule with this name does not exist. The rule now relates to 'insufficient intent to keep the ball in play'. On that basis, I believe many of the free kicks currently paid according to this adjudication are actually correct.
Umpires cannot judge intent
That rule needs to be action based
Current OOTF are penalized whether skill errors or intentional

Would rather see it revised and adjudicated as a skill error.
A player that has had sufficient time cannot dispose of the ball OOB
Kicked On the full : Allowed a direct kick at goal
Hand Ball, Bounces or Carried OOB : Indirect at goal
Tackled, Touched or Rushed out : Throw in

Same rules apply to defenders conceding a behind
Punched by hand = behind and kick taken in : as is now,
Kicked or Carried behind by defender : Concede possession
Instead of kick in taken : an indirect kick to attacking team.
Restart kick taken from boundary line 25m from goal.

Who do I send this suggestion to at the AFL

Umpires cannot judge intent
That rule needs to be action based
Current OOTF are penalized whether skill errors or intentional

Would rather see it revised and adjudicated as a skill error.
A player that has had sufficient time cannot dispose of the ball OOB
Kicked On the full : Allowed a direct kick at goal
Hand Ball, Bounces or Carried OOB : Indirect at goal
Tackled, Touched or Rushed out : Throw in

Same rules apply to defenders conceding a behind
Punched by hand = behind and kick taken in : as is now,
Kicked or Carried behind by defender : Concede possession
Instead of kick in taken : an indirect kick to attacking team.
Restart kick taken from boundary line 25m from goal.

Who do I send this suggestion to at the AFL
The officer in charge of the department of unattainable dreams.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite true.
Menzel kick 28 in 18 in his second year. Ollie Henry, though in his third year rather than his second, has kicked 34 from 19 at a worse club.

Unfortunately let's just say there's not a lot of data to support Menzel's progress throughout his third year in the AFL :(
I was a huge Menzel fan, and I'm happy to declare I rate Ollie even higher, based on current output, pedigree and potential. Menzel was a rare talent, could have been the next SJ, but we saw what happened.

I was a huge Menzel fan, and I'm happy to declare I rate Ollie even higher, based on current output, pedigree and potential. Menzel was a rare talent, could have been the next SJ, but we saw what happened.
Ollie hits me as being a cross between the two. His forward craft and goal smarts remind me a lot more of SJ, but he's much better overhead than Stevie was.

He's not as physically strong as Menzel, though. Menzel just had sheer strength and power for his size, even at age 19. I refer you to:

As a general rule, forwards should always try to mark. The crumb is only ever a second option.
Every player should make a contest to best advantage.
Sometimes a spoil is the better percentage play than a mark.
A spoil is easier and can be directed to a waiting teammate

Regarding the "play on for backwards kicks" - what about something like implementing that for kicks in the defensive half of the ground but is still permitted in the attacking half

It will reduce time wasting late in quarters where teams play kick to kick to run down the clock
The fix for backward kick time wasting is : Man on Man

Marking contest on the corridor and 90% of them end up boundary throw ins due to being spoiled. This is more deliberate than a guy accidentally shanking a kick out of bounds. Yet is never paid.

One day I think we will see a last touch rule between the two 50 arcs. Don’t they already do this in SA league?

-The fact that the AFL is a compromised competition with an unfair draw and constant changing of rules and 'traditions'.
-The fact that the AFL are the self proclaimed guardians of the history of the game at the same time shitting all over the proud history of smaller competitions like the VFA, WAFL et al.
-The fact that the AFL is unbelievably insecure about its future and any notion that another code might cut in to its massive profit margins.
-The fact that the AFL still seems to think people give a s**t about the sport beyond our borders. That one is quite endearing in a pathetic way.
-The modern footy media. Just absolutely rank and a lot of the time superficial at best.
-Charlie Dixon for some reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back