Roast Things that Irk and Pet Peeves

Remove this Banner Ad

Hitting the post - if the ball hits the post and still crosses the line between the posts, the relevant score applies.

I'd also stipulate that a ball that bounces off the goal post and back into play is a point, as it is now, and it's out of bounds if it similarly bounces back into the oval off the point post.

I'd also stipulate that a ball that bounces off the goal post and back into play is a point, as it is now, and it's out of bounds if it similarly bounces back into the oval off the point post.
What if it hits the post, lands in play then bounces back over the goal line?

What if it hits the post then flies along the goal line and the umpire has to decide whether it crossed the line before a a defender touched it?

What if it hits the post, lands in play then bounces back over the goal line?

Point.

What if it hits the post then flies along the goal line and the umpire has to decide whether it crossed the line before a a defender touched it?

If it crossed the line, goal. If a defender touched it, point. It's literally the goal umpire's job to decide whether it crossed the line or not.

Point.

If it crossed the line, goal. If a defender touched it, point. It's literally the goal umpire's job to decide whether it crossed the line or not.
That creates a new situation for the umpire and it is a difficult one as the ball will be travelling along the goal line.

The Grey Areas in the rules :
Only when they disadvantage Cats.

Un-Sportsman Conduct.
Diving, Goading, Complaining, Stalling, Backhanders, Sly Whacks, Melees, Wrestling etc.
Offenders get a Strike / Yellow Card :Tribunal penalty points : Instead of a fine.
3 Strikes and you miss a week and reset points back to zero.
Penalise the repeat offenders. Strike to influence Tribunal deliberations.

I hate it when reporters outside the ground before the game ask supporters wearing club colours who is going to win, and they give the obvious answer. Even worse is when the report ends, the orchestrated chorus of supporters scream out in support of their team.

Or more generally, journalists now who never actually ask questions - they just press the players for answers they want. Every question is followed by "isn't it", "aren't you", etc.

That creates a new situation for the umpire and it is a difficult one as the ball will be travelling along the goal line.

I think those sorts of scenarios will be both rarer and easier to adjudicate than telling whether the ball's just barely clipped the padding or not.

I think those sorts of scenarios will be both rarer and easier to adjudicate than telling whether the ball's just barely clipped the padding or not.

Perhaps rarer but not easier to adjudicate.
Anyway, they won’t be changing a law that has been in place since 1859 and as, after yesterday’s disaster, the AFL will put in place the latest technology so it won’t be an issue.

I'm getting a little annoyed at the finger pointing at the coach. We lost a lot of close games this year with many injuries. I thought he coached alright. It's the lack of player professionalism over the off season that led to the injury crisis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting a little annoyed at the finger pointing at the coach. We lost a lot of close games this year with many injuries. I thought he coached alright. It's the lack of player professionalism over the off season that led to the injury crisis
Agree. We have been decimated by injuries. Do the list, the only two not I think were Atkins and Miers and most have been carrying niggles to a certain extent to cover those who were injured.

Upside is we have found a couple this year but so have a couple been found out.

I would get Danger out of the caps role and find someone else, and leave Stewart as 2IC. He does not strike me as a natural number one.

He didn’t have a good year, even given the circumstances IMO. And I say that as one of his biggest supporters (check the receipts).

Availability of players due to injury is obviously outside of his control, but to watch the team try to slowly switch play last night and never bite off the options we needed to try, in a must-win game, was an indictment on the coaching. Throughout the year the guarding grass and poor defensive setups also need to be on him.

Still think he’s our best ever coach and one of the handful of best coaches ever. But he’s not blameless in the way the season has played out.

He didn’t have a good year, even given the circumstances IMO. And I say that as one of his biggest supporters (check the receipts).

Availability of players due to injury is obviously outside of his control, but to watch the team try to slowly switch play last night and never bite off the options we needed to try, in a must-win game, was an indictment on the coaching. Throughout the year the guarding grass and poor defensive setups also need to be on him.

Still think he’s our best ever coach and one of the handful of best coaches ever. But he’s not blameless in the way the season has played out.
I get what you are saying. Just not many games where we were blown away.

I like Scott but I do not think he has had a good few months

Not knowing what info Kolo has on Scott given he gets a game every week
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Four umpire system
Video goal reviews
Our complete inability to go back to back
Our 2023 injury toll
BT
OTT Collingwood fellatio on the footy media

Players that can’t kick on their non preferred (pretty much 95% of the competition these days)
I remember watching Jordan Murdoch having to turn around in a passage of play ( which was like watching the queen Mary turn around) so he could kick on his preferred to which Cam Mooney yells out from the commentators box “God Jordon, learn to kick with your right foot”.

Or more generally, journalists now who never actually ask questions - they just press the players for answers they want. Every question is followed by "isn't it", "aren't you", etc.
Maybe they kept stumbling across players who are very shy, just tired and can't think coherently or at the lower end of the IQ bell curve; and then they just had to have cue cards/questions to actually get something from them?

Also - the vast majority of fans arent on big footy and arent aren't interested in something that is insightful - they only want the basic jokey sound bites and so the media just gives the lowest common denominator meaningless tv.

I like Scott but I do not think he has had a good few months
You are right - He has not - but we have had the hardest draw and I would say as a guess, the least consistency and most injuries to key players. In my opinion, we could have been at the WCE level this year tbh.

You are right - He has not - but we have had the hardest draw and I would say as a guess, the least consistency and most injuries to key players. In my opinion, we could have been at the WCE level this year tbh.

A little bit. We still had a solid core available most weeks of very experienced and premiership players. For a variety of reasons they could never get any kind of sustained form going. The five game streak was good but having Hawthorn and West Coast in there probably masked it a little bit.

Since the bye we've got 4 wins, 1 draw, and 5 losses. Probably sums it up. Just a bit too hot and cold. Two very good wins over Melbourne and Port (and they were), thrown in with some horrible losses (especially Fremantle and St.Kilda Friday night).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back