Things That Make You Cringe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
St Kilda
Moderator #1,458
Sorry i am honestly pissing myself laughing at my desk envisioning your resume with a "check out the gun show" selfie on it.
It was a leftover from my days working in retail where they actually did want a photo or at least wanted to know what you looked like. But yeh, it was pretty cringe in hindsight

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
...... photo of themselves in a job application?
It's a thing these days.

When there's 710 people applying for an entry level job, how are you going to stand out?

Back in the day you'd walk into the reception and hand the nice young lady your well written form. She'd look you up and down and smell your cologne.

If you had your shirt tucked in and ironed, an approachability, tucked back haircut and could actually converse she'd put you in one pile. If you were a complete moron who said 'hi, I saw somethin' 'bout a job? Oh yeah' and walk out in a pair of beat up old shoes and smelling like cones, you'd be put to the other pile (the bin). Nowadays everyone looks the same so long as they can format a page and use a serifed font.

Run n Spread

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
LOL. Thanks for the heads up, Xiao May Pang.
What would be funny is if a red head with freckles showed up.

Have made that mistake before. Never blindly guess.

(As in someone had Anglo Parents and spoke in a distinct accent so I assumed they were from the same region. But parents were expats and they were born and grew up in Asia and thus for all intents and purposes considered themselves Asian).

MWPP

Magical Eagle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Scorchers, Black Caps
Depends on how many employees your workplace /workplace network has. Mine's so extensive that far from being cringeworthy- it would be helpful if it was ever implemented. I'm kind of glad we don't have it though as I hate my work ID picture (don't we all) :/

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
What would be funny is if a red head with freckles showed up.

Have made that mistake before. Never blindly guess.

(As in someone had Anglo Parents and spoke in a distinct accent so I assumed they were from the same region. But parents were expats and they were born and grew up in Asia and thus for all intents and purposes considered themselves Asian).
With a greater mix of cultures here now there are more mixed marriages, also.

Not uncommon for someone's name to not match your preconception of their face.

Names like Lee and Sam are common Anglo names, but if Lee Smith marries Andrew Chen and becomes Lee Chen it immediately sounds Chinese. If someone called Lee Chen turns up with red hair and freckles you'd definitely be surprised. I do enjoy meeting someone with a very uncommon or stereotypically non Anglo name that greets you with an ocker accent. Like hearing Majak Daw speak. The footy media make out like North plucked him out of the desert or something but if you heard him on the phone you'd think he was a 45 year old boilermaker.

There are plenty of unisex names as well. Shannon, Alex, Lee/Leigh, Chris could easily be a man or woman. I've been surprised a few times before meeting someone after email correspondence to find out they are the opposite sex of what I thought.

Billy ray

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With a greater mix of cultures here now there are more mixed marriages, also.

Not uncommon for someone's name to not match your preconception of their face.

Names like Lee and Sam are common Anglo names, but if Lee Smith marries Andrew Chen and becomes Lee Chen it immediately sounds Chinese. If someone called Lee Chen turns up with red hair and freckles you'd definitely be surprised. I do enjoy meeting someone with a very uncommon or stereotypically non Anglo name that greets you with an ocker accent. Like hearing Majak Daw speak. The footy media make out like North plucked him out of the desert or something but if you heard him on the phone you'd think he was a 45 year old boilermaker.

There are plenty of unisex names as well. Shannon, Alex, Lee/Leigh, Chris could easily be a man or woman. I've been surprised a few times before meeting someone after email correspondence to find out they are the opposite sex of what I thought.
Perhaps full frontal nudity shots are the way to go

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moderator #1,473
A friend of mine is from Birmingham, and sounds like Frank Skinner but because she married a Chinese guy and her surname is Wong when she enrolled at uni she was asked if she needed assistance with English.

Top Bottom