Things That Make You Cringe.

Remove this Banner Ad

There's been anecdotal studies, like a woman her put Samantha on some resumes and Sam on others, and got many more responses with the male name. Likewise, some black Americans played with names that were considered stereotypical and got very different responses.

The African-American one is in Freakonomics. Even Family Guy touched on it with a small reference.

'Jillian is with her new boyfriend DaShawn'
'DaShawn???'
'Ha his name is Darren I just wanted to see your reaction'.

They also did a scene with a black guy and an Asian guy and one was a maths teacher and the other a driving instructor, then played to the stereotypes.

I've got no doubt having a stereotypical African-American name in the USA would be problematic. Different scenario but I reckon the same would happen here a bit to people with s**t bogan names. Calling your kid 'Jesikah' or 'Jayden' isn't giving them the best start in life. Curiously, hyphens tend to be the domain of opposite ends of the social scale. So if you are a Syllable-Syllable from the outer suburbs some lax recruiter might just think you are old money and put you in the yes pile...

It's horrible, but as a straight white male with a boring Anglo name I'd ordinarily want my CV to indicate that. Only exception is that now certain industries are on KPI warpaths so if I had a unisex name and was applying for a job at BHP or Chevron or something I would present my CV as neutral in the hope of boosting my chances of getting an interview.

Politics talk at dinner.

Last night in a restaurant on the peninsula, in a thai restaurant, where the vast majority (all bar me and the staff) were of a particular skin colour and creed. And age demographic. Two tables, each occupied by a husband-wife combo, talking to each other about politics. Some of the gems:

- muslims are out of control
- they wear those dresses, you can see their face
- the communists let them in. The bloody do gooders.
- its gonna change, we'll win tonight (election).

Im a political knob, but couldnt help myself. I asked politely if its the fault of the left, why hasnt this stopped since the right have been in power? Left it at that.

I think they were surprised I spoke in their tongue.

Anyway, political talk is cringeworthy at a social gathering.

I don’t think that was inappropriate. If I was talking to my husband and we were discussing our views on a topic I’d be really surprised if someone interjected.Unless I was being overly rude or aggressive. I’m not sure why you think you get decide what is appropriate for a couple to talk about either.

Politics talk at dinner.

Last night in a restaurant on the peninsula, in a thai restaurant, where the vast majority (all bar me and the staff) were of a particular skin colour and creed. And age demographic. Two tables, each occupied by a husband-wife combo, talking to each other about politics. Some of the gems:

Im a political knob, but couldnt help myself. I asked politely if its the fault of the left, why hasnt this stopped since the right have been in power? Left it at that.

I always enjoy it when someone starts on teh gayz and I'm in earshot. It's a real education.

I don’t think that was inappropriate. If I was talking to my husband and we were discussing our views on a topic I’d be really surprised if someone interjected.Unless I was being overly rude or aggressive. I’m not sure why you think you get decide what is appropriate for a couple to talk about either.

When the restaurant, small, is empty bar 6 customers, all sitting on neighbouring tables, it allows for robust discussion. The couples entering the political/societal debate did not know each other.

Id like to know how you came to the conclusion I believe it is my duty to establish what constitutes appropriate discussion.

I always enjoy it when someone starts on teh gayz and I'm in earshot. It's a real education.

Flipside, no better way to avoid conservative or religious hagglers. I go to voting with my uncle and he cuts a fast path through most of them.

'I don't need that, I'm gay with my immigrant boyfriend'.

CDP, Libs, etc, part like Moses parting the sea.

Sent from mTalk

Politics talk at dinner.

I have always wondered how 'ethnic' restaurants almost always manage to have wait staff of the same background as the food.

When the restaurant, small, is empty bar 6 customers, all sitting on neighbouring tables, it allows for robust discussion. The couples entering the political/societal debate did not know each other.

Id like to know how you came to the conclusion I believe it is my duty to establish what constitutes appropriate discussion.
You stated that political talk is cringeworthy in a social gathering. Maybe others like to talk about it?

I wandered in to the Palace on Tuesdy and it was Drag Queen bingo, there was definitely some patrons going on about the gays and they weren't crusty old white people either.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You stated that political talk is cringeworthy in a social gathering. Maybe others like to talk about it?

And yet I never said I was the social arbiter of appropriate conversation.

If you were there you’d acknowledge the tone of the discussion was cringeworthy.

Sure talk politics but it is a sure fire way to ignite a conversation.

People don't get/can't do banter.

*person wears garish shirt*
'Nice shirt, you know Mardi Gras isn't for a few months right?'
'You would know that because you are gay and like to have sex with men'
*facepalm*

I imagine Xtreme to totally be this character in this scenario. Bolded.

I prefer the "Nice shirt, do they make em for blokes?"

A simple but timeless classic.

You're supposed to just know by the time you are an adult how it works. I give you s**t, you give me s**t, and the cycle continues. Someone comes out with a zinger, if you are quick you get them back. Etc.

There's different types of s**t banter too. Lame comebacks, trying to use the same joke without putting your own twist on it (you are, no you are), painfully explaining the joke, and of course the awkward silence ensuing person who takes things wayyy too far.

'She's hot'
'Not as hot as ya sister mate, eh? eh?'
'His mum's even hotter!'
'Yeah well I hope your house burns down with all of your family in it and you have to watch your mum and sister burn'
'Jesus mate...'

The Office wins once again for classic cringey:

GK: Can't you discipline him? Ooh, kinky! The thing about practical jokes, you've got to know when to stop, and now's the time to stop putting Gareth's possessions in jelly.
TC: Gareth, it's a trifling matter.
DB: Here we go.
DB: Always like this.
Temp: You should put him in custard-y! He's going to fit in.
DB: We're like Vic and Bob and an extra one.
Oh, God.
Yeah.
GK: I'm more worried really about damage to company property.
DB: Trifling.
I'm just trying to think of other desserts to do.

People who film themselves giving to the homeless
How about the ones who give money to homeless people or those who 'accidentally' drop money in front of homeless people and then record them to see what they do with the money?

then they often finish off the video with some tag along the lines of "these people have nothing and they STILL put others before themselves", as if imparting some sort of moral lesson to the rest of us fiery, unsalvageable freaks

kinda revolting seeing how low the current fleet of brainless youtubers/influencers will stoop for views

on that note. What makes me cringe.

Watching FTA news, game shows, MKR or those quarter time breaks at a match and being bombarded with s**t like Cash Cow, I Wake Up With Today, or some variant of "whoever torps it the furthest/cooks the best dish/reno'd the house best/has the best sob story/knows the most obscure historical facts wins X amount of money". If you want to be charitable, just ******* give people money in an honourable way. Disgusting that they make people dance around for what is for most of them, an opportunity to escape their living hell. Then if they don't win? Back to square one, but the company's still made more $ off the back of their views

Remove this Banner Ad

Back