Things That Make You Cringe.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder how much of an effect changing your name has as a woman (or man if you do that).

If you are Cheng one day and Smith the next, do (new) people react differently? I bet if you are a white girl named Smith and then take a common indigenous surname like Garlett or Ugle or an Arabic name like Al-Shawari-something (yeah I'm not good at Arabic names) that you would notice some differences. Haven't come across many 'Sarah Mohammeds' though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I wonder how much of an effect changing your name has as a woman (or man if you do that).

If you are Cheng one day and Smith the next, do (new) people react differently? I bet if you are a white girl named Smith and then take a common indigenous surname like Garlett or Ugle or an Arabic name like Al-Shawari-something (yeah I'm not good at Arabic names) that you would notice some differences. Haven't come across many 'Sarah Mohammeds' though.
A guy at my high school had the surname Smith (his mum's surname) when he started there but then a year later he changed it to his dad's Italian surname.

I guess they were worried that there would be racism against them for being Italian but by that stage Italians were more accepted in Australia and we had moved on to being racist against Asians and then racist against Muslims.

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast

There's been anecdotal studies, like a woman her put Samantha on some resumes and Sam on others, and got many more responses with the male name. Likewise, some black Americans played with names that were considered stereotypical and got very different responses.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
There's been anecdotal studies, like a woman her put Samantha on some resumes and Sam on others, and got many more responses with the male name. Likewise, some black Americans played with names that were considered stereotypical and got very different responses.
The African-American one is in Freakonomics. Even Family Guy touched on it with a small reference.

'Jillian is with her new boyfriend DaShawn'
'DaShawn???'
'Ha his name is Darren I just wanted to see your reaction'.

They also did a scene with a black guy and an Asian guy and one was a maths teacher and the other a driving instructor, then played to the stereotypes.

I've got no doubt having a stereotypical African-American name in the USA would be problematic. Different scenario but I reckon the same would happen here a bit to people with shit bogan names. Calling your kid 'Jesikah' or 'Jayden' isn't giving them the best start in life. Curiously, hyphens tend to be the domain of opposite ends of the social scale. So if you are a Syllable-Syllable from the outer suburbs some lax recruiter might just think you are old money and put you in the yes pile...

It's horrible, but as a straight white male with a boring Anglo name I'd ordinarily want my CV to indicate that. Only exception is that now certain industries are on KPI warpaths so if I had a unisex name and was applying for a job at BHP or Chevron or something I would present my CV as neutral in the hope of boosting my chances of getting an interview.

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #1,483
Politics talk at dinner.

Last night in a restaurant on the peninsula, in a thai restaurant, where the vast majority (all bar me and the staff) were of a particular skin colour and creed. And age demographic. Two tables, each occupied by a husband-wife combo, talking to each other about politics. Some of the gems:

- muslims are out of control
- they wear those dresses, you can see their face
- the communists let them in. The bloody do gooders.
- its gonna change, we'll win tonight (election).

Im a political knob, but couldnt help myself. I asked politely if its the fault of the left, why hasnt this stopped since the right have been in power? Left it at that.

I think they were surprised I spoke in their tongue.

Anyway, political talk is cringeworthy at a social gathering.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
I don’t think that was inappropriate. If I was talking to my husband and we were discussing our views on a topic I’d be really surprised if someone interjected.Unless I was being overly rude or aggressive. I’m not sure why you think you get decide what is appropriate for a couple to talk about either.

Scotland

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
West Coast
Politics talk is great. You get to weed out who doesn't know what they're talking about and whose affiliation is so rusted on that they can't think for themselves.

'Bloody lefties ruining the place. Now the gays can marry!'
'That was a public vote proposed by the conservative govt to appease the right wing faction'
'Pah!'

Gough

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Moderator #1,486
Politics talk at dinner.

Last night in a restaurant on the peninsula, in a thai restaurant, where the vast majority (all bar me and the staff) were of a particular skin colour and creed. And age demographic. Two tables, each occupied by a husband-wife combo, talking to each other about politics. Some of the gems:

Im a political knob, but couldnt help myself. I asked politely if its the fault of the left, why hasnt this stopped since the right have been in power? Left it at that.

I always enjoy it when someone starts on teh gayz and I'm in earshot. It's a real education.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #1,487
I don’t think that was inappropriate. If I was talking to my husband and we were discussing our views on a topic I’d be really surprised if someone interjected.Unless I was being overly rude or aggressive. I’m not sure why you think you get decide what is appropriate for a couple to talk about either.
When the restaurant, small, is empty bar 6 customers, all sitting on neighbouring tables, it allows for robust discussion. The couples entering the political/societal debate did not know each other.

Id like to know how you came to the conclusion I believe it is my duty to establish what constitutes appropriate discussion.

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I always enjoy it when someone starts on teh gayz and I'm in earshot. It's a real education.
Flipside, no better way to avoid conservative or religious hagglers. I go to voting with my uncle and he cuts a fast path through most of them.

'I don't need that, I'm gay with my immigrant boyfriend'.

CDP, Libs, etc, part like Moses parting the sea.

Sent from mTalk

quotemokc

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
Politics talk at dinner.

I have always wondered how 'ethnic' restaurants almost always manage to have wait staff of the same background as the food.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
When the restaurant, small, is empty bar 6 customers, all sitting on neighbouring tables, it allows for robust discussion. The couples entering the political/societal debate did not know each other.

Id like to know how you came to the conclusion I believe it is my duty to establish what constitutes appropriate discussion.
You stated that political talk is cringeworthy in a social gathering. Maybe others like to talk about it?

edgie

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I wandered in to the Palace on Tuesdy and it was Drag Queen bingo, there was definitely some patrons going on about the gays and they weren't crusty old white people either.

Sent from mTalk

peternorth

Facts Machine
AFL Club
Richmond
Moderator #1,495
You stated that political talk is cringeworthy in a social gathering. Maybe others like to talk about it?
And yet I never said I was the social arbiter of appropriate conversation.

If you were there you’d acknowledge the tone of the discussion was cringeworthy.

Sure talk politics but it is a sure fire way to ignite a conversation.

Top Bottom