Things That Make You Cringe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry i am honestly pissing myself laughing at my desk envisioning your resume with a "check out the gun show" selfie on it.

It was a leftover from my days working in retail where they actually did want a photo or at least wanted to know what you looked like. But yeh, it was pretty cringe in hindsight

...... photo of themselves in a job application?
It's a thing these days.

When there's 710 people applying for an entry level job, how are you going to stand out?

Back in the day you'd walk into the reception and hand the nice young lady your well written form. She'd look you up and down and smell your cologne.

If you had your shirt tucked in and ironed, an approachability, tucked back haircut and could actually converse she'd put you in one pile. If you were a complete moron who said 'hi, I saw somethin' 'bout a job? Oh yeah' and walk out in a pair of beat up old shoes and smelling like cones, you'd be put to the other pile (the bin). Nowadays everyone looks the same so long as they can format a page and use a serifed font.

LOL. Thanks for the heads up, Xiao May Pang.

What would be funny is if a red head with freckles showed up.

Have made that mistake before. Never blindly guess.

(As in someone had Anglo Parents and spoke in a distinct accent so I assumed they were from the same region. But parents were expats and they were born and grew up in Asia and thus for all intents and purposes considered themselves Asian).

What's also a thing is now a profile shot on work emails. Apparently to help with familiarity and remembering names. I will go with cringeworthy.
Yep, I’ve been noticing more and more too; it’s weird.

Depends on how many employees your workplace /workplace network has. Mine's so extensive that far from being cringeworthy- it would be helpful if it was ever implemented. I'm kind of glad we don't have it though as I hate my work ID picture (don't we all) :/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would be funny is if a red head with freckles showed up.

Have made that mistake before. Never blindly guess.

(As in someone had Anglo Parents and spoke in a distinct accent so I assumed they were from the same region. But parents were expats and they were born and grew up in Asia and thus for all intents and purposes considered themselves Asian).

With a greater mix of cultures here now there are more mixed marriages, also.

Not uncommon for someone's name to not match your preconception of their face.

Names like Lee and Sam are common Anglo names, but if Lee Smith marries Andrew Chen and becomes Lee Chen it immediately sounds Chinese. If someone called Lee Chen turns up with red hair and freckles you'd definitely be surprised. I do enjoy meeting someone with a very uncommon or stereotypically non Anglo name that greets you with an ocker accent. Like hearing Majak Daw speak. The footy media make out like North plucked him out of the desert or something but if you heard him on the phone you'd think he was a 45 year old boilermaker.

There are plenty of unisex names as well. Shannon, Alex, Lee/Leigh, Chris could easily be a man or woman. I've been surprised a few times before meeting someone after email correspondence to find out they are the opposite sex of what I thought.

With a greater mix of cultures here now there are more mixed marriages, also.

Not uncommon for someone's name to not match your preconception of their face.

Names like Lee and Sam are common Anglo names, but if Lee Smith marries Andrew Chen and becomes Lee Chen it immediately sounds Chinese. If someone called Lee Chen turns up with red hair and freckles you'd definitely be surprised. I do enjoy meeting someone with a very uncommon or stereotypically non Anglo name that greets you with an ocker accent. Like hearing Majak Daw speak. The footy media make out like North plucked him out of the desert or something but if you heard him on the phone you'd think he was a 45 year old boilermaker.

There are plenty of unisex names as well. Shannon, Alex, Lee/Leigh, Chris could easily be a man or woman. I've been surprised a few times before meeting someone after email correspondence to find out they are the opposite sex of what I thought.
Perhaps full frontal nudity shots are the way to go

lol. What's next get them to sit on a couch and treat it like a casting call?
Burberry+Spring+Summer+2013+Womenswear+Show+wmtrUsCZGynx.jpg

I wonder how much of an effect changing your name has as a woman (or man if you do that).

If you are Cheng one day and Smith the next, do (new) people react differently? I bet if you are a white girl named Smith and then take a common indigenous surname like Garlett or Ugle or an Arabic name like Al-Shawari-something (yeah I'm not good at Arabic names) that you would notice some differences. Haven't come across many 'Sarah Mohammeds' though.

I wonder how much of an effect changing your name has as a woman (or man if you do that).

If you are Cheng one day and Smith the next, do (new) people react differently? I bet if you are a white girl named Smith and then take a common indigenous surname like Garlett or Ugle or an Arabic name like Al-Shawari-something (yeah I'm not good at Arabic names) that you would notice some differences. Haven't come across many 'Sarah Mohammeds' though.

A guy at my high school had the surname Smith (his mum's surname) when he started there but then a year later he changed it to his dad's Italian surname.

I guess they were worried that there would be racism against them for being Italian but by that stage Italians were more accepted in Australia and we had moved on to being racist against Asians and then racist against Muslims.

There's been anecdotal studies, like a woman her put Samantha on some resumes and Sam on others, and got many more responses with the male name. Likewise, some black Americans played with names that were considered stereotypical and got very different responses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back