Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

While we always had colour, i remember having a remote control TV was a HUGE luxury.

It went Dial > push button channels > REMOTE. Then of course the flat screens years later.

we always had a colour TV, dad brought the first Philips model when it came out

i was the remote control until we got a Beta video player in the early 80's

iu

Kings Quest

First thing in colour was ABC cricket,,,,obviously after Aunty Jack

All the shops just had the cricket on to sell the sets or the test pattern

There was this famous Aunty Jack episode which changed from black and white to colour when colour tv arrived here.

I was too young to remember it though and most people here probably didn't have a colour tv then to appreciate it.

Went to the Sydney Test a couple of years back for Jane McGrath day, did it on the cheap with the boys... Meant stayed at a backpackers in Sydney..
Want to feel old, walk in during the evening aged mid 30s and see all the overseas early 20s guys and girls around drinking.

Told the guys * this, we all work full time, next time get your own accommodation sorted and I'm having my own hotel room, I felt like a creepy old man

My favourite shows when I was very young were these

There was this famous Aunty Jack episode which changed from black and white to colour when colour tv arrived here.

I was too young to remember it though and most people here probably didn't have a colour tv then to appreciate it.

we watched it in BnW

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i remember when we got our first radiola machine it was nice for the family to listen to our favourite serials but then dad broke it when the war of the worlds was broadcast as he thought aliens would come out of the radio

My favourite shows when I was very young were these

Adventure Island. Liz Harris was my first TV crush. I was a little miffed when my older sister came home and told me she was in Alvin Purples movie a few years later..!

Where is Mr Squiggle, Miss Pat/Jane and Blackboard - 'Hurry up, hurry up!'...?

Last edited:
The first VCR we got had a remote control with the cable attached, we hardly ever used it though, we just used the controls on the VCR.

That was back before the big video store chains like Blockbuster and Video Ezy took off so we would just watch the same videos over and over again.

Our local was Video City f think.

School holiday staple - 10 weeklys for $10 for 10 days. Wore out the tape mechanism on Blackadder 2-4 over the years.

Our local was Video City f think.

School holiday staple - 10 weeklys for $10 for 10 days. Wore out the tape mechanism on Blackadder 2-4 over the years.

The old 10 weeklys for 10 dollar special, you would pick out maybe 3 movies that you wanted to watch then about 7 movies that were total garbage,

The sort of movies that no one else would rent which is why they were part of the deal, s**t like Caddyshack 2 or a Pauly Shore comedy like Bio Dome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back