Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Late last year I was at a Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers concert at the Metro. For those unfamiliar with them, their fan demographic is mostly teenage or early 20s girls. I wasn't the oldest person there but there weren't too many over 50s. There weren't too many over 30s either!

So I'm standing there with my 23yo daughter, beer in hand, the warm-up act has finished, we're waiting for Teen Jesus to come on, when this kid, would have been 19 or 20, comes up and asks me to look after her drink while she went to the toilet. No problem, I say.

I didn't think anything of it but my daughter was amazed. Apparently being asked to guard someone's drink is quite an honour, usually reserved for trusted friends, and it's something girls have to do whenever they're out.

When TF did drink spiking become a common thing? :mad:

Late last year I was at a Teen Jesus and the Jean Teasers concert at the Metro. For those unfamiliar with them, their fan demographic is mostly teenage or early 20s girls. I wasn't the oldest person there but there weren't too many over 50s. There weren't too many over 30s either!

So I'm standing there with my 23yo daughter, beer in hand, the warm-up act has finished, we're waiting for Teen Jesus to come on, when this kid, would have been 19 or 20, comes up and asks me to look after her drink while she went to the toilet. No problem, I say.

I didn't think anything of it but my daughter was amazed. Apparently being asked to guard someone's drink is quite an honour, usually reserved for trusted friends.

Dammmn you must give massive Good Dad Energy

Their mind's held up for the most part, it was their bodies that conked out. That's what frustrated them the most towards the end.
Yeh I’m “only” 36 soon to be 37 but I’m pretty sure my body will pack up hard when it does, I’ll happily punch the tickets very very shortly thereafter.

Watching my father in law who has had a long list of terrible injuries struggling physically of late has just confirmed that for me

I didn't think anything of it but my daughter was amazed. Apparently being asked to guard someone's drink is quite an honour, usually reserved for trusted friends, and it's something girls have to do whenever they're out.

Back to when you were a kid.

I don’t think it’s a particularly common thing, the fear is greater than the likelihood. But like walking down a dark alley, it’s a risk not worth taking, given the awful potential consequences. A mature adult is a good choice for a young girl to trust with the drink if she wasn’t with friends.

Last edited:

I love Teen Jesus. I am a sucker for girl rockers and they kick ass

Been around for decades

I don’t think it’s a particularly common thing, the fear is greater than the likelihood. But like walking down a dark alley, it’s a risk not worth taking, given the awful potential consequences. A mature adult is a good choice for a young girl to trust with the drink if she wasn’t with friends.
my partner had their drink spiked when we were out together prior to dating, I had to get them home and look after them, they went from fine to fall down drunk in about 5 minutes and the venue was just like get out of here before we call the cops

this was 2011

my younger sister has caught people trying to spike her or friends drinks

Old guys can be creeps to, I don't think trusting strangers because they are older is a good choice

A dad out with their daughter at a venue is different to a random older dude at an event where the majority of the crowd is under 30 though

My wife’s cousin had her drink spiked potentially by a staff member on a cruise ship. Luckily the bro in law intervened when the members “were taking her back to her room”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is now 2024 - the same year that Ted's wife Tracy from 'How I Met Your Mother' fell ill and died in the future. It also marks 10 years since HIMYM went off the air with the worst series finale ever aside from shows that went with the 'it was all a dream ending', although Game of Thrones fans might disagree on this point. I can't really comment, I never watched any episodes of GOT much less the maligned 2019 ending.

Not so much a feeling of old but a milestone nonetheless

ABBA won Eurovision on the 6 April 1974 with Waterloo

Propelling them into the popular culture 50 years on

AND all members are still alive

Benny 77
Bjorn closing in on 79 this month
Agnetha 74 on the 5th April
Anna-Frid 78

emuboy

I came into custody of a whole bunch of tapes that my folks made to send to my grandparents overseas and one of them has me at about 3 or 4 singing Fernando. That aside it's an interesting snapshot of mid 70s Australia from a couple of recent immigrants who were still very much feeling their way about the place.

Not so much a feeling of old but a milestone nonetheless

ABBA won Eurovision on the 6 April 1974 with Waterloo

Propelling them into the popular culture 50 years on

AND all members are still alive

Benny 77
Bjorn closing in on 79 this month
Agnetha 74 on the 5th April
Anna-Frid 78

emuboy
Still have and love that album. Found it at the airport on a seat 😀

Remove this Banner Ad

Back