Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Probally when you see players that are the same age as you. You watched them all get drafted all those years ago like Nick Riewoldt, Cooney for example when they were just kids.

And now they are too old and retired from the game. Make you feel old when you realise that if I was playing AFL I would be retired now for being too old.:(

Probally when you see players that are the same age as you. You watched them all get drafted all those years ago like Nick Riewoldt, Cooney for example when they were just kids.

And now they are too old and retired from the game. Make you feel old when you realise that if I was playing AFL I would be retired now for being too old.:(
Players same age as you dying hits it home hard

When you receive a bowel cancer screening kit from the government in the mail.

Use it.

Saved my life.

I am just out of hospital after the surgery. Asymptomatic, but took the test.
Gastroenterologist said if I waited another 6 months ....

My grandfather dies from bowel cancer just before his 70th. His father died from bowel cancer just before his 70th.

May be checking bowels within the next 15 years.

My grandfather dies from bowel cancer just before his 70th. His father died from bowel cancer just before his 70th.

May be checking bowels within the next 15 years.

Agree with Dogs, get something started now.

Go to your GP and talk about your family history, increased risk factors. Preventive strategies around diet, exercise, smoking etc.

GP may recommend regular colonoscopy tests. Worst part of that is the purging of the system so it is nice and clean for viewing.

They say colonoscopy is the gold standard test. Basically insert a tube with a camera and observe the lining of the colon. They look for growths, polyps, that should not be there. Most are removed in the process, and sent to pathology for checking. Early detection and removal is good.

Last edited:

Go to your GP and talk about your family history, increased risk factors. Preventive strategies around diet, exercise, smoking etc.

GP may recommend regular colonoscopy tests. Worst part of that is the purging of the system so it is nice and clean for viewing.

They say colonoscopy is the gold standard test. Basically insert a tube with a camera and observe the lining of the colon. They look for growths, polyps, that should not be there. Most are removed in the process, and sent to pathology for checking. Early detection and removal is good.
Yup.
Dad died of bowel cancer at 65, which they say is the cut off point to when it might be hereditary. Any older and they usually just put it down to age.
I've had two colonoscopies since. Don't need another one for five years.
The piece of mind you get is immense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I continually misplace my glasses, f.....g shits me. Sometimes I spend a few minutes looking for them and they're on top of my bloody stupid head.

I probably should put them on a chain around my neck, not a good look though, sort of like young kids on a lead, might be practical but I don't want to admit defeat.

If you're 40+ go for an annual GP check-up. If they bulk bill it costs you nothing, you build a base line on general health indicators, and may pick up things before they become serious problems.

The 1998 World Cup being 20 years ago.

I was in year 9 and it was the first one I really took an interest in after we just missed out in the playoffs against Iran. Hard to believe that Australia are now in our 4th in a row. Mark Milligan's had some sort of run to make all 4 squads while playing 1 game in 2014 and now 1 in 2018 and none in 2006 or 2010.

Next year will be 20 years since we won the 1999 Rugby World Cup in Wales. Still feels like yesterday that Larkham nailed that drop goal against South Africa. And that we weren't s**t. And that people cared.

The 1998 World Cup being 20 years ago.

I was in year 9 and it was the first one I really took an interest in after we just missed out in the playoffs against Iran. Hard to believe that Australia are now in our 4th in a row. Mark Milligan's had some sort of run to make all 4 squads while playing 1 game in 2014 and now 1 in 2018 and none in 2006 or 2010.

Next year will be 20 years since we won the 1999 Rugby World Cup in Wales. Still feels like yesterday that Larkham nailed that drop goal against South Africa. And that we weren't s**t. And that people cared.
I remember the 1974 world cup, I was 15:(.

Said it before but right there 2 of the best of all time. They would be 2 of the first selected in any greatest ever side that I have seen.
Interested to hear this....

Given you were born in 59, I would hazard a guess at something similar to this

Yashin?
Cafu Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini
Matthaus
Cruyff Zico Maradona
Pele R9​

Interested to hear this....

Given you were born in 59, I would hazard a guess at something similar to this

Yashin?
Cafu Beckenbauer Baresi Maldini
Matthaus
Cruyff Zico Maradona
Pele R9​
Messi and Zidane got to be in there somewhere. I like Schmeichel as the keeper but maybe because my memory of him is clearer. Platini, Figo? So many fantastic players, I liked all the old division one players from The Big Match days, being a Chelsea fan guys like John Hollins, Peter Osgood, Ray Wilkins, David Hay, Peter Bonetti.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back