Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't give too much credit to 9/11 terrorists though. Global warming and lag of economic changes working their way through would've disrupted it.

There's a slow recognition that the post-WW2 stability (if you lived in places like Australia, Western Europe, Norf America) through to 9/11 was probably exceptional, deeply reliant on fossil fuels etc and not really normal. It seems normal because baby boomers and younger have assumed or been conditioned to think it is.

As a ‘73er I’d consider myself more an 80’s kid. Stranger Things has been 80’s crack for me, even if set in the US. 2015 was an interesting one due to Back to the future. I remember seeing the first in the 80’s and thinking 30 years might as well as have been 130. Now 30 years ago seems not that far away. Although in the 80’s we had home PC’s, VCR’s etc., so although technology has improved massively I don’t think it’s as much completely new as there was for ‘The Joneses’ as 1955-1985.
A group of us just had the Terminator discussion ie has John Connor already sent Kyle Rees back

Read pieces by people old enough to remember it all as adults saying between late 80s and 2001 it felt like liberal democracy/capitalism/blah blah etc had 'won history' and life would go on that way forever.

The Robber Barons had other ideas, by inaugurating the second gilded age of a 2 tiered Medieval serfdom: An era comprised of multi-billionaires & wage slaves only....Just go the full Monty on all Western governments & don't even try to apologise for or disguise the rampant theft, corruption & greed.

There was a definite positivity to the ‘90s, at least in the Western world; the Cold War was over, economies were chugging along. Clinton brought an air of change to America, you had Cool Britannia in England. September 11 was definitely a turning point, even if something else would have brought down the vibe eventually. Spent the past two decades with the pall of terrorism handing over everything. Things could have been very different if the decisions made in the days after 9/11 were different,

I thought you might have seen Charlie Macartney!
It's one of my earliest memories. We only went for the last session, he and Laird batted it out, we sat in the old Ponsford stand and I can still picture Underwood bowling that afternoon because of his long run up. When Chappell got his fifty a bloke ran on, shook his hand and ran off without being sat on by security. I was totally hooked from day 1.

I judge age from a music, sporting and retail point of view.

Franklins supermarket was something I past went to almost 20 years ago.

I feel similar feelings about Fossey’s and Jewel.

Musically, the Crazy Frog came out 14 years ago.

The Macarena is almost a quarter of a century old.

While, personally, it’s 22 years since I was in prep, the same time as the Spice Girls movie was released.

Lastly, 2 quips for footy fans.

This years draftees wouldn’t remember the Leo Barry mark in the GF.

Craig Bradley is closer to 60 years old than 50 years old.

I judge age from a music, sporting and retail point of view.

Franklins supermarket was something I past went to almost 20 years ago.

I feel similar feelings about Fossey’s and Jewel.

Musically, the Crazy Frog came out 14 years ago.

The Macarena is almost a quarter of a century old.

While, personally, it’s 22 years since I was in prep, the same time as the Spice Girls movie was released.

Lastly, 2 quips for footy fans.

This years draftees wouldn’t remember the Leo Barry mark in the GF.

Craig Bradley is closer to 60 years old than 50 years old.

Brashs for all your music needs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a slow recognition that the post-WW2 stability (if you lived in places like Australia, Western Europe, Norf America) through to 9/11 was probably exceptional, deeply reliant on fossil fuels etc and not really normal. It seems normal because baby boomers and younger have assumed or been conditioned to think it is.
Korea, Vietnam, the ever-updating doomsday clock, probably more terrorism but less deaths in major acts (the Troubles, Palestine, etc as continual trouble spots - along with the one-offs like Lockerbie, PanAm hijacking, Minch Olympic attacks, etc).
The stability that might seem to be the case from this distance did not always seem all that stable at the time. Like those in any age, people put those concerns to one side when they weren't directly affected and got in with their own little existence.

Last edited:
Tutoring a year 9 kid yesterday, talking about social media and which platforms are most popular among his peers. He tells me snapchat and Instagram. I ask him if anyones on Facebook. he laughs in my face. Millenials are now internet dinosaurs.
Snapchat is the popular thing because the messages disappear instantly. So my sister in law tells me.

Tutoring a year 9 kid yesterday, talking about social media and which platforms are most popular among his peers. He tells me snapchat and Instagram. I ask him if anyones on Facebook. he laughs in my face. Millenials are now internet dinosaurs.
Facebook has become unbearable the last few years. Im in my 40s but it's people in my mum's generation that have made it very hard to look at (there are other reasons too obviously). If I didn't live overseas Im sure I wouldn't look at it as much. I may spend 5 minutes a day on there and nothing ever really interests me... Its a habit now.

Have never used snapchat and Instagram I look at maybe once a month and actually post maybe once a year. Social Media is like billions of people all trying to scream above each other seeking attention, gratification and righteousness. It's a zoo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back