emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
What are things in life - both football and non-football related - that make you feel old?

Here are some of mine:

• A number of the Brisbane Lions players were not even born at the time the Brisbane Bears and Fitzroy merged in 1996.
  • There are no remaining AFL listed players born in the 1970s or who played in the 1990s.
  • Sons of 1990s players are now playing AFL.
  • Teenagers say that something is 'so 1990s'.
  • Some of my high school classmates from the early 1990s have adult children.
  • Alicia Silverstone plays the mother of teenagers in the recently released 'Diary of a Wimpy Kid' movie.
  • Actresses Kate Winslett and Reese Witherspoon both have daughters aged 16.
  • I remember watching a news story in 1998 about Steve and Terri Irwin welcoming their first baby into the world - a daughter named Bindi.
  • Princess Diana has been gone nearly 20 years now.
  • September 11 happened closer to 1985 than the present day.

I put this on the song contest thread. My two favourite albums, Different Class by Pulp and What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis, both released in 1995 are 22 years old.

A generational barrier signpost for me is whether you can remember things like NYE 1999, 2000 Sydney Olympics and 9/11. Also eerie that things like the Diana passing, hell even Pokemon, Harry Potter, Pixar, etc. are now pushing 20.

This month also marks a decade since I left home.

A generational barrier signpost for me is whether you can remember things like NYE 1999, 2000 Sydney Olympics and 9/11. Also eerie that things like the Diana passing, hell even Pokemon, Harry Potter, Pixar, etc. are now pushing 20.

This month also marks a decade since I left home.

I mentioned Kylie Minogue to my class last term.

"Who's that?"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

remembering:
- every full forwards mark was signalled by the full back, rather than the umpire, with a punch to the back of the head
- 22.5% interest rates, EFTPOS starts replacing the book
- when the tv remote had a wire and the not so lucky ones, changing the station meant getting up and turning a dial
- JJJ scandal with F the police followed by "express yourself"
- and a sound from a not so distant past

People at work who don't know there were two Germanys.

Seeing the number on a footy jumper and immediately associating it with someone who hasn't played in 20 years.

There are "adults" that like T20, and adults born in a world which already had The Simpsons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back