Society & Culture Things that Make You Feel Old

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think taking avg life expectancy and dividing by 2 necessarily gives you middle age (in any case the avg life expectancy in Aus is over 80 for both men and women) because the stages of life aren't all equal lengths. Never heard of anyone in their 30s being considered middle aged before this thread.
If someone is 38 with two kids around 10, I can tell you they will be feeling that middle age. If they are 36 and single, they won’t. But the numbers say late 30s is middle age (I say that as a middle aged 41 that I absolutely don’t feel).

wal

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
EFFC
People seem younger than in years past but 35 is definitely the beginning of middle age. Average age is 70 to 80, some die younger, some older, but that puts you in about the middle.
It is the middle of your adult life not from birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age

According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65:[2] "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65." The US Census lists the category middle age from 45 to 65. Merriam-Webster lists middle age from 45 to 64,[3] while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it starting a little earlier and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65. The Collins English Dictionarylists it between the ages of 40 and 60,[4]and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – the standard diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association – used to define middle age as 40 to 60, but as of DSM-IV (1994) revised the definition upwards to 45 to 65.

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
It is the middle of your adult life not from birth.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age

According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65:[2] "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65." The US Census lists the category middle age from 45 to 65. Merriam-Webster lists middle age from 45 to 64,[3] while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it starting a little earlier and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65. The Collins English Dictionarylists it between the ages of 40 and 60,[4]and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – the standard diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association – used to define middle age as 40 to 60, but as of DSM-IV (1994) revised the definition upwards to 45 to 65.

What's after 65? I wouldn't necessarily consider a 65 year old an old person. They could be if they've led an excessive lifestyle, but I've met some pretty sprightly 65 year olds.

Sep 17, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NY Yankees, Glenelg Adelaide Giants
What's after 65? I wouldn't necessarily consider a 65 year old an old person. They could be if they've led an excessive lifestyle, but I've met some pretty sprightly 65 year olds.
We had a guy who was 95 coming in to work who did zumba 3 times a week i thought he was in his 70's

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
My neighbors and friends are in their late 70s he was a surf champ and triathlete both still massively, fit, swim, run, cycle daily

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
thank you, he was trying to eat some cake off the table when i took the photo, it was perfect timing
also wanted to say that I know people who are in their 80s who like to do their thing and can't actually take the idea that they should
be put in a shell...

don't know quite that I can do that but I don't have the 'death' knell hanging over me...

who knows what it means until you get there...

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
I subscribe to the old idea of middle age being 45-65. That is in the middle of your young years and your old senility

Yeah I think 40s and 50s for middle age. I'm no pro athlete but at 34 there's nothing I can't physically do. If I want to run or do snow sports or whatever my body allows it. I'm not yet at the stage of buying a convertible and my #1 hobby being embarrassing my teenage children.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Australian life expectancy is in the 80s. However that's an average, so half the population doesn't live that long. 40 is middle age and 65 is certainly old.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Australian life expectancy is in the 80s. However that's an average, so half the population doesn't live that long. 40 is middle age and 65 is certainly old.

How is it calculated? I thought LE how long you are expected to live before you die of natural causes. If 80 is the average than it would be dragged down by accidental deaths. Median would be a better indicator.

I imagine something like 70 to be a weird age. You could drop dead tomorrow or live another 30 years conceivably.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
How is it calculated? I thought LE how long you are expected to live before you die of natural causes. If 80 is the average than it would be dragged down by accidental deaths. Median would be a better indicator.

I imagine something like 70 to be a weird age. You could drop dead tomorrow or live another 30 years conceivably.

Everyone ages differently.

I've seen all my grandparents go through their 70s and some their 80s and even early 90s and you can be physically able but mentally gone (sad), and you can be mentally sharp but physically frail. If you're lucky you'll maintain both for most of your life. Quite a few people live past the average life expectancy but if you're bedridden or sitting in a chair all day and don't recognise your own children you're not really living. Even just doing a John Howard and walking each morning in your Wallabies tracksuit is a good habit to maintain as long as you can.

IMO one of the worst things you can do in life is put off too much until retirement. You never know how quickly you'll start to decline physically/mentally and worse yet some people die earlier than the average.

Apr 2, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
IMO one of the worst things you can do in life is put off too much until retirement. You never know how quickly you'll start to decline physically/mentally and worse yet some people die earlier than the average.

Very true. And in fact it is actually (according to philosophy I read) a ridiculous way to live. Throughout human history people have died for all sorts of reasons (War, famine, accident, illness, stupidity) planning enjoyment till you're old and decrepit is actually every bit as risky as extreme sport.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've posted this before and stand by it:

21 and younger = kid
22 - 29 = young adult
30 - 39 = “still” young
40 - 45 = sunset of young days
45+ = officially old.
Lucky you

I think I went:
15 and younger = kid
16 - 21 = youth with thinning hair
22 - 25 = young adult
25 - 35 = middle aged, with solid middle aged spread, more back hair than head hair
35 - 45 = ah, the pain, every joint hurts, brain on the way out
45+ (not far into that yet) = old, definitely old; dementia joining arthritis

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Lucky you

I think I went:
15 and younger = kid
16 - 21 = youth with thinning hair
22 - 25 = young adult
25 - 35 = middle aged, with solid middle aged spread, more back hair than head hair
35 - 45 = ah, the pain, every joint hurts, brain on the way out
45+ (not far into that yet) = old, definitely old; dementia joining arthritis

25 middle aged? must have had a rough life

Back