Things that piss you off about Christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

IschenkoUBeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm sure there's plenty and I'm sure there'd be a lot of ranting in the next few days.

Nothing better than making grown adults carry on like petulant five year olds than the festive season.

Go.

People talking to me while I'm eating. Don't see a lot of family members besides christmas so you get the usual questions every year. I'm fine with it but get it over and done with before the food comes out. We always do a massive BBQ so it's go time once that food is ready.

aunty: so brett33 how's uni?
me: good
Aunty: anything new?
me: nup (said with a gob full of food)
aunty: ...

Conversation shut down. So when is the caramel cheese cake coming out?

• Banned
I'm going to be alone this Christmas day. That pisses me off. I don't deserve to be by myself on Christmas.

Receiving Christmas cards from people I haven't seen or spoken to since god knows when, who think that forcing me to waste my time responding is a good idea.

And there is one lot who I had a big falling out with about 6 years ago, who still think it is smart to send me a card and write an epistle about what magically mundane things they have been up to in the last 12 months. It takes me precisely 2 seconds to tear up the unopened envelope and consign it to the nearest bin. I tolerated the epistle before the falling out, but never since.

Receiving Christmas cards from people I haven't seen or spoken to since god knows when, who think that forcing me to waste my time responding is a good idea.

And there is one lot who I had a big falling out with about 6 years ago, who still think it is smart to send me a card and write an epistle about what magically mundane things they have been up to in the last 12 months. It takes me precisely 2 seconds to tear up the unopened envelope and consign it to the nearest bin. I tolerated the epistle before the falling out, but never since.
Horace are we related? My mrs gets a yearly newsletter from relatives. No one else reads it but I think it's absolutely brilliant. They are ridiculously religious and I get a good kick out of it. I did plan on doing one and send it out just to pull the piss out of them. Or a David Thorne inspired Christmas soundtrack

Horace are we related? My mrs gets a yearly newsletter from relatives. No one else reads it but I think it's absolutely brilliant. They are ridiculously religious and I get a good kick out of it. I did plan on doing one and send it out just to pull the piss out of them. Or a David Thorne inspired Christmas soundtrack

I don't think so Brett. They don't do religion, they just do weirdly boring stuff. And because I loathe them (incorrect emotion I know at this time of the year) it just leaves me seeing red.

(And why do I loathe them? The bloke is my cousin. On his second marriage he hooked up with this genuinely loony woman. They shared a farm boundary fence with my sister at that time. My sister was in hospital in Melbourne in June 2007 just recovering from cancer surgery, which they knew about. They decided one Sunday night while she was out of the way to ring her son, being my nephew, to try to bully him into putting up a new fence between the two properties before the 30th June. They wanted to claim the costs for tax purposes. They had already been told by my sister that she was too unwell to contemplate organising for the work to be done until she was out of surgery and into recovery.

Unfortunately for them, I was there that night and they copped the wrath of both me and my nephew, who is no slouch either when it comes to standing up for himself.

Fortunately my sister has made a full recovery, the work on the fence was completed a few weeks later and better still they have since sold and the only contact we have is their christmas card.)

And there is one lot who I had a big falling out with about 6 years ago, who still think it is smart to send me a card and write an epistle about what magically mundane things they have been up to in the last 12 months.

At least it's only once a year... Surely it's better than being on facebook (or "mebook" as I like to call it) & seeing what magically mundane things people do every freaking day!

Agree, Facebook's home to some of the most self-obsessed, narcissistic, self-indulgent material on the net.

One Christmas when I was a kid, I got the biggest hiding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People talking to me while I'm eating. Don't see a lot of family members besides christmas so you get the usual questions every year. I'm fine with it but get it over and done with before the food comes out. We always do a massive BBQ so it's go time once that food is ready.

aunty: so brett33 how's uni?
me: good
Aunty: anything new?
me: nup (said with a gob full of food)
aunty: ...

Conversation shut down. So when is the caramel cheese cake coming out?

This is a variation on the talking while eating. We had to do the gig with Mrs. H's family this year after a long absence (I won't go into why). I try to arrive at Christmas Dinner, as hungry as possible, to allow plenty of room for input. Of course there is the usual small talk but it dragged on for about an hour. Then they served a seafood cocktail which went down quite well, followed by another long delay. To the main course and I more or less headed the queue, loaded the plate with ham and turkey and various vegetables and then had to wait for the other 15 to talk their way through serving themselves.

Starters gun fired (Mrs. H's father saying grace, a completely unnecessary delay) and while I tucked in, everyone else leisurely talked their way through their meals. Upshot was I polished off mine, reloaded the plate, polished that off and they were all still eating and talking. Which meant another long delay before the plum pudding. (I could have gone back for a third helping but that might have been viewed by some as poor form.)

I'm not against conversation however when the food arrives the serious business needs to gain full attention. There should be a ban on talk when food is being consumed.

This is a variation on the talking while eating. We had to do the gig with Mrs. H's family this year after a long absence (I won't go into why). I try to arrive at Christmas Dinner, as hungry as possible, to allow plenty of room for input. Of course there is the usual small talk but it dragged on for about an hour. Then they served a seafood cocktail which went down quite well, followed by another long delay. To the main course and I more or less headed the queue, loaded the plate with ham and turkey and various vegetables and then had to wait for the other 15 to talk their way through serving themselves.

Starters gun fired (Mrs. H's father saying grace, a completely unnecessary delay) and while I tucked in, everyone else leisurely talked their way through their meals. Upshot was I polished off mine, reloaded the plate, polished that off and they were all still eating and talking. Which meant another long delay before the plum pudding. (I could have gone back for a third helping but that might have been viewed by some as poor form.)

I'm not against conversation however when the food arrives the serious business needs to gain full attention. There should be a ban on talk when food is being consumed.
Well played Horace. That is one upside from chatting...get in for more serves.
I learnt that early days. Once upon a time we would go to a river every Sunday with a boat and jet skis. Lots of family and lots of BBQ (cousin worked at steggles so their was free chicken as far as the eye could see). I'd load up on spuds, snags and steak. Eat to one side then load up on some more. And that was from 6 yrs old. I'm convinced if I wasn't active I'd be dead already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back