Social Science Things that please me - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The comments on the various news websites from people furious that Woolworths a ban on plastic bags.

"Well, that puts an end to stopping in at Woolworths to pick up milk & bread if I don't have my shopping bag with me."
"So we're all meant to have 6-10 canvas bags on hold to cart into the supermarket each week? What a joke."
"So what do we use for rubbish bags now?"

The comments on the various news websites from people furious that Woolworths a ban on plastic bags.

"Well, that puts an end to stopping in at Woolworths to pick up milk & bread if I don't have my shopping bag with me."
"So we're all meant to have 6-10 canvas bags on hold to cart into the supermarket each week? What a joke."
Plastic bags are wonderful, banning them is just more greeny fear mongering.

they have been banned in SA for years, its no issue, I keep reusable bags in the boot for major shopping, they are easier to unpack and carry, and if you do happen to pop in for shopping without a bag you can still buy plastic ones, but they are more heavy duty and can be used several times, hold a lot more, but you are up for 15 cents.

It is really eye opening when you go interstate and they throw thousands of them at you when you do some shopping, buy two things and get a plastic bag.

There is a lot less rubbish here, because we have a deposit on drink cans / bottles, and the homeless clean up with 10 cents each on those.

What's wrong with recycled brown paper bags or empty cardboard boxes?
Because they are actually worse overall than plastic bags.

The main reason plastic bags are so bad is because people litter with them constantly, if people were sensible and disposed of them properly it wouldn't be an issue. (same with all garbage)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/08/paper-or-plastic-a-look-a_n_111547.html

"Paper or plastic: A look at the facts and numbers
Further insight into the implications of using and recycling each kind of bag can be gained from looking at overall energy, emissions, and other life cycle-related costs of production and recycling. According to a life cycle analysis by Franklin Associates, Ltd, [pdf] plastic bags create fewer airborne emissions and require less energy during the life cycle of both types of bags per 10,000 equivalent uses — plastic creates 9.1 cubic pounds of solid waste vs. 45.8 cubic pounds for paper; plastic creates 17.9 pounds of atmospheric emissions vs. 64.2 pounds for paper; plastic creates 1.8 pounds of waterborne waste vs. 31.2 pounds for paper.

Paper bags or plastic bags: the conclusion
Both paper and plastic bags require lots and lots of resources and energy, and proper recycling requires due diligence from both consumer and municipal waste collector or private recycling company, so there are a lot of variables that can lead to low recycling rates.

Ultimately, neither paper nor plastic bags are the best choice; we think choosing reusable canvas bags instead is the way to go. From an energy standpoint, according to this Australian study, canvas bags are 14 times better than plastic bags and 39 times better than paper bags, assuming that canvas bags get a good workout and are used 500 times during their life cycle. "

http://www.allaboutbags.ca/papervplastic.html

pl.jpg

I don't have a problem trotting out and buying some canvas bags, the problem is I'd have to do it every time I go shopping as I never remember to return them to the car or if I do I forget to take them out of the boot. I did though like the look of this

IMG_1281.PNG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they have been banned in SA for years, its no issue, I keep reusable bags in the boot for major shopping, they are easier to unpack and carry, and if you do happen to pop in for shopping without a bag you can still buy plastic ones, but they are more heavy duty and can be used several times, hold a lot more, but you are up for 15 cents.

It is really eye opening when you go interstate and they throw thousands of them at you when you do some shopping, buy two things and get a plastic bag.

There is a lot less rubbish here, because we have a deposit on drink cans / bottles, and the homeless clean up with 10 cents each on those.

They tried doing this a few years ago did they not ? I know target started charging 10c per bag and Coles/Safeway were trying to phase them out, but wound up getting weaker plastic bags instead.

I know each time Target asked if I wanted one I'd say yes every time (sticking it to the environmentally friendly people... even though it was costing me 10c a pop :D). I collected a few of the enviro bags that Safeway/Coles had....... still have a jumbo sized one (which is about the size of 8 enviro bags altogther) it's like my Santa's sack in a way.

Be nice if they were honest - nothing to do with the environment as they are still going to wrap a cucumber and sweet potato :rolleyes: - this is just another cost cutting exercise. Certainly won't be buying coles or woolworths bags - will just find some generic ones

Not concerned, Chrisco comes in boxes

That's the one I'm talking about. But it seem that you only know the Carpark entrance.
I enter through the entrance between the fruit shop and deli. This entrance also leads towards a KMart, ice cream shop, EB Games, and even further down Puckle St.
But if you hook a left after exiting the Coles building, you'll see an alley way; that's the one I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back