Things that please me - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I know all about hot aisles (having lived in the bastards for too much of my life), but what's a GMP? Other than the unix version of photoshop...
Guaranteed Maximum Price is what i know a GMP as (also known as GCS Guaranteed Contract Sum).

Stages of final negotiations on a couple of different forms of standard building project contracts.

Honestly my industry has a hard on from acronyms, PMS (Project Management Systems) and PMT (Project management timeframes) as well as (and im not kidding) ATM (assisted tracking module) and BDE (Building Deficit Equation) often come up in meetings.

when someone in the street moves out and property is unoccupied leaving garbage and recycled goods bins available for free use!
The people in front of our old house sold up and we had about 3 months of their bin use between the sale and new people moving in (it was a rental and was empty when they sold it). As we were looking to move a few months later, i was able to get rid of plenty of crap we were going to throw out and likely gotten a skip.

Back in the day when EFT-POS machines were being introduced (and failing in massive numbers, remember shop people frantically rubbing your credit card mag stripe on their clothes in order to make it read?), I was at a meeting at IBM to brainstorm solutions other than:
a) spending ages in front of angry staff and customers trying to fix it, or
b) swapping it out for a new one, configuring it, and then spending ages fixing the dead one back at base

Some manager asked the inevitable, "What does EFT-POS stand for, anyway?"

Instant answer from one of the hardware engineers: "Extremely ******* touchy piece of s**t!"

I also loved IBM's habit of nested acronyms. Remember PowerPC processors? (Probably not.)

power pc.jpg

Performance Optimisation With Enhanced RISC - Performance Chip, or to give it its full title,
Performance Optimisation With Enhanced Reduced Instruction Set Computer - Performance Chip

I note Wikipedia has "- Performance Computing" and not "Chip" but trust me, I was there when they were brought in, and that's what the dev guys called it.

A bit of a sidetrack there, sorry, got lost in the memories

Back in the day when EFT-POS machines were being introduced (and failing in massive numbers, remember shop people frantically rubbing your credit card mag stripe on their clothes in order to make it read?), I was at a meeting at IBM to brainstorm solutions other than:
b) swapping it out for a new one, configuring it, and then spending ages fixing the dead one back at base

Instant answer from one of the hardware engineers: "Extremely ******* touchy piece of s**t!"

I also loved IBM's habit of nested acronyms. Remember PowerPC processors? (Probably not.)

View attachment 1472879

Performance Optimisation With Enhanced RISC - Performance Chip, or to give it its full title,
Performance Optimisation With Enhanced Reduced Instruction Set Computer - Performance Chip

I note Wikipedia has "- Performance Computing" and not "Chip" but trust me, I was there when they were brought in, and that's what the dev guys called it.

IT company acronyms are great because every department will have a different acronym using the same letters and will assume you know what they are talking about

and then when messages come down from corporate by the time your manager passes them on all the context around the next batch of acronyms have been stripped and you're just listening to someone spout a bunch of gibberish which then has to be translated via questions, a longer process than if they'd just used the words in the first place

View attachment 1472879

Just on this: do people in Australia say they are paying by “EFT-POS”? I can’t remember. Maybe just by card?

Just on this: do people in Australia say they are paying by “EFT-POS”? I can’t remember. Maybe just by card?
Just by card. Which is weird as its actually my phone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heading away for the weekend, would usually get an Uber to the airport but returning Monday morning, need to go straight to the office so thought I'd drive and go to the long term CP. Pre paid and it was only $36 which I thought was good.

Anyway got to the carpark and got a pass to the short term car park "as an upgrade", didn't have to * around with the shuttle bus etc

Heading away for the weekend, would usually get an Uber to the airport but returning Monday morning, need to go straight to the office so thought I'd drive and go to the long term CP. Pre paid and it was only $36 which I thought was good.

Anyway got to the carpark and got a pass to the short term car park "as an upgrade", didn't have to * around with the shuttle bus etc

We always park at the airport rather than catch a cab both ways or park at another parking option that you have to get their bus back. Pretty decent price and get out in a jiffy most times

We always park at the airport rather than catch a cab both ways or park at another parking option that you have to get their bus back. Pretty decent price and get out in a jiffy most times

This is true, can be a problem if you've been drinking piss in the lounge and on the plane ha ha

My kookie who comes every day for a visit and feed. IMG_20220813_172700~2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back