Things that please you

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes the water more alkaline, which in turn roughs up the potato surfaces more, which leads to crunchy deliciousness.
If the aim is to make it alkaline, wouldn't you use bicarb rather than baking powder? Baking powder being a mix of bicarb and an acid (cream of tartar I think?)

If the aim is to make it alkaline, wouldn't you use bicarb rather than baking powder? Baking powder being a mix of bicarb and an acid (cream of tartar I think?)

Baking soda sorry, not powder.

My mother in law always heats up the oil/ fat in the tray in the oven before adding the potatoes. I've never tried that. Sounds like it works.

Also, what is the optimal temp in a fan-forced oven Jade ? 210?

Consolidating:

Desiree potato the preferred roasting spud
potatoes not peeled
1 1/2 inch thickness
soaked overnight in brine or bicarb and then ruffed up in a collander
par-boiled or part cooked in a microwave
40-60 minutes in preheated oven tray with tallow/ duck fat
turned half way through
salt/ herbs

I think my grandmother used to rough it up by scoring each piece with a fork... just as an alternative to the bicarb/colander situation. If you over-do the par-cooking they start to look a bit roughed up anyway.

Brine/salting in advance is interesting :think: Not totally sure about that. Personally I salt the gravy and then put the gravy on everything.

My mother in law always heats up the oil/ fat in the tray in the oven before adding the potatoes. I've never tried that. Sounds like it works.

Also, what is the optimal temp in a fan-forced oven Jade ? 210?

Nah 200c for a fan-forced.

Heating the fat works well for mashed potatoes too.

If you mix butter and cream along with any cheese you may want to add in a saucepan GENTLY, makes for the creamiest mash.

Brine/salting in advance is interesting :think: Not totally sure about that.
apparently it leeches the starch out which makes them tastier, less sticky and most importantly more crunchy!

Last edited:
As Kyle Reimers would say, "Scienccy stuff":

Whether it’s the straight-chain amylase chains or branched amylopectin chains, potatoes are largely made from starch. This starch plays an important role in the cooking process. As food scientist Harold McGee explains, modern deep fryers often operate at two temperatures. Starches leak out during a first low-temperature frying and form a gluey layer on the surface of the potato. Browning takes place during a second high-temperature frying, which develops the taste and crispness of the potato. Something similar takes place when sliced potatoes are soaked in water. In addition to drawing out potassium, soaking also draws out starches – doing something similar to the first low-temperature fry. Coating the potato in cooking oil and baking it has the effect of crisping the surface starch, just like the second high-temperature fry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You is smart, you is kind, you is about to be drunk as ****.
It worked perfectly as I have a housewarming in St Kilda East this evening.

They will love me and mate when we rock up completely faced around 7

So many opposition boards have threads entirely devoted to us.

I'm glad there is so much pain and frustration they feel based on what happened to us over the last few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back