Things that sh*t me the fifteenth part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread has been rolled over to Part 16 here

Nah I like fish, they aren't glorified insects.

I booked a work lunch yesterday at Rubiras, awesome seafood apparently. Went to the online menu, was getting oysters, Moreton Bay bugs etc, client messages me and lets me know he's allergic to seafood. Was going to say "I don't give a *" but i want him to spend millions with my company.

So just so were clear...

Youve tried the sea bugs and dont like them?
I've tried that sort of seafood but only a little bit.

Look I could probably learn to like them if I wanted to but I don't see the point, it's not cheap and leave em all to the people that love that stuff to enjoy!

I've tried that sort of seafood but only a little bit.

Look I could probably learn to like them if I wanted to but I don't see the point, it's not cheap and leave em all to the people that love that stuff to enjoy!
Probably fair.

I think its a pretty poor thought to say "well i like steak and * the earth". Reality is nearly everyone needs to be conscious of the impact they have and cutting down on your red meat consumption is a really easy win. Doesnt mean you need to eat bugs or seafood or whatever. Its also better for your health.

I find it weird when people recoil over bugs or horse or dogs or whale or whatever, in reality one really isnt better or worse than the other.

Probably fair.

I think its a pretty poor thought to say "well i like steak and duck the earth". Reality is nearly everyone needs to be conscious of the impact they have and cutting down on your red meat consumption is a really easy win. Doesnt mean you need to eat bugs or seafood or whatever. Its also better for your health.

I find it weird when people recoil over bugs or horse or dogs or whale or whatever, in reality one really isnt better or worse than the other.
I would sort of like to eat no meat at all simply because I'm someone that has alway been very fond of all animals. But I just don't think it would be healthy for me. I still probably eat less of it than most people though.

I would sort of like to eat no meat at all simply because I'm someone that has alway been very fond of all animals. But I just don't think it would be healthy for me. I still probably eat less of it than most people though.
Getting a mile off topic but why? Plenty of vegetarian and vegan diets that are exceptionally healthy.

How much meat do you eat in a week?

Getting a mile off topic but why? Plenty of vegetarian and vegan diets that are exceptionally healthy.

How much meat do you eat in a week?
I gotta go now but there would be a lot of people that would disagree and I just can't see it working for someone like me as much as I would like to.

I eat it with most main meals but generally only a pretty small portion.

I gotta go now but there would be a lot of people that would disagree and I just can't see it working for someone like me as much as I would like to.

I eat it with most main meals but generally only a pretty small portion.
A whole lotta people arent really knowledgeable on the subject are they. Its fine if you dont want to but lets not pretend that you cant. Youve made a choice and thats fine this whole "it cant work for me" is more "i dont want to".

I think youll probably find that is absolutely the norm, not less than. It sounds like you have two portions of meat each day (Lunch and Dinner). Most reasonable dietitians would recommend less to start with (7 serves a week is generally a maximum so thats 1 a day)

It has always struck me as a little odd the lines that people arbitrarily draw on food (without trying it first).

Bugs - ewwww nah that’s gross
Meat pie with god knows what in it - yeh load me up

If you try and don’t like it that’s one thing but if you don’t even try it hiw can you possibly know.

I don’t think anyone would suggest it becomes the viable alternative to luxury food like a steak. We really do need to drop our meat consumption overall though. Even just a reduction (which doesn’t mean you have to eat bugs by the way).
Our family generally eats meat about 3 times a week, chicken 3-4 times a week, fish 1-2 times a week. Occasionally we have a vegetarian meal, eg homemade pizza without any meat. We mainly cook at home.

Pre-cooked meals are improving in quality, which is helpful for those who sometimes don't have time to cook. Australia has stringent health rules around food production, all the way down the line, even though occasional slip-ups happen, eg salmonella.

I would try just about anything, even just a taste. Might draw the line at sheep's eyes though, which I'm told is a Middle Eastern delicacy. I have Filippino friends who prefer fish heads including eyes to any other part of the fish. All cultures have their food tastes decided from birth, based on what's available. We're also fortunate to have a wide range of food types to choose from and the luxury to be able to express preferences.

We also need to be aware of nutrition, above all. 100g of steak contains ten times the amount of protein that 100g of broccoli contains. Animal protein, particularly red meat, is also the richest source of iron, omega-3, B12 and zinc.

A whole lotta people arent really knowledgeable on the subject are they. Its fine if you dont want to but lets not pretend that you cant. Youve made a choice and thats fine this whole "it cant work for me" is more "i dont want to".

I think youll probably find that is absolutely the norm, not less than. It sounds like you have two portions of meat each day (Lunch and Dinner). Most reasonable dietitians would recommend less to start with (7 serves a week is generally a maximum so thats 1 a day)
I follow (loosely :$) the CSIRO recommendations of lean red meat 4 times a week (dinners), chicken or fish for the other 3, and any type of protein for lunch and/or breakfast. In fact, protein becomes more important, not less, as we age, to prevent muscle loss, preserve organ and bone health, and keep up energy.

I follow (loosely :$) the CSIRO recommendations of lean red meat 4 times a week (dinners), chicken or fish for the other 3, and any type of protein for lunch and/or breakfast. In fact, protein becomes more important, not less, as we age, to prevent muscle loss, preserve organ and bone health, and keep up energy.
Sure but protein isnt just meat. I cant say ive looked for a little while but 7 serves of lean protein (meat or other) was generally the accepted standard.

Having meat twice a day (lunch and dinner) would be 14 serves and your 7 serves a week dont all need to be meat.

FWIW i probably have a meat 3-4 times a week, i subsititue it for lentils, tofu and chickpeas and other proteins a further 4-5 times a week and the rest is veggies and carbs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suppose that’s why they serve steak without aaaaaaany sides or sauces right.

Do or don’t eat it I don’t really care but let’s not pretend we’re not seasoning and garnishing our meats with spice and condiments.
I didn't realise the eating of crickets and grasshoppers would be such a touchy subject.

(And a big, juicy steak without anything on it is still nice.)

I don’t have kids so my carbon footprint is tiny. I'm eating steak and burning tyres to keep warm.
Real strong boomer energy right here.

I didn't realise the eating of crickets and grasshoppers would be such a touchy subject.

(And a big, juicy steak without anything on it is still nice.)
Who is touchy about it, were just discussing it. You said theres no way they could be tasty, i countered that they absolutely are then you applied a new rule that it doesnt count if theyre seasoned, which is frankly just weird and real white bread.

There is barely an adult alive that i know of who wouldnt benefit from reducing their red meat intake (health and envoronmental factors) and no one is suggesting we start doing bugs instead of steaks, this is a suggestion for an eco friendly alternative for people who want to reduce their meat intake without sacrificing their protein intake. Yours isnt really the comparative to make.

Sure but protein isnt just meat. I cant say ive looked for a little while but 7 serves of lean protein (meat or other) was generally the accepted standard.

Having meat twice a day (lunch and dinner) would be 14 serves and your 7 serves a week dont all need to be meat.

FWIW i probably have a meat 3-4 times a week, i subsititue it for lentils, tofu and chickpeas and other proteins a further 4-5 times a week and the rest is veggies and carbs.
Depends what you call a serve. CSIRO meals consist of 200g of red meat, chicken or fish (dinner) and 100g at lunch. Personally I find 200g too much but some don't. You can have 2 eggs at lunch also, or an egg and a small can of tuna or salmon with salad. I've rarely bothered with lentils (except Indian), tofu or chickpeas.

How much protein do you really need?
  1. Men: 0.84g per kilogram of body weight per day. For example, if a man weighs 85kg, his recommended intake is approximately 71g.
  2. Women: 0.75g per kilogram of body weight per day. For example, if a woman weighs 70kg, her recommended intake is approximately 52g.
A CSIRO review ... found support for the recommendation to eat at least 25 grams of protein at each main meal to help control hunger and enhance muscle metabolism.

Just as a guide, a 200g piece of steak supplies around 50 grams of protein, 200g chickpeas has about 36g protein (but the protein isn't as good/complete :) ). That's a lotta chickpeas :).

Who is touchy about it, were just discussing it. You said theres no way they could be tasty, i countered that they absolutely are then you applied a new rule that it doesnt count if theyre seasoned, which is frankly just weird and real white bread.
The post I replied to said they were tasty, without mention of spices, herbs, sauces, whatever, which was my entire, light-hearted point. Plenty of things can become 'tasty' with heaps of extra stuff added. That was it. I didn't add a new rule (you did). The 'touchy' bit was in reference to the general theme of the last couple of pages, which has involved a supermod calling a poster an idiot and a solid back and forth about the topic. 'touchy'.

Thanks for calling me white bread though, which according to your logic couldn't possibly be a throwaway line, and is actually a mod insulting a poster based on their feeling towards eating insects. Real good vibe going in here, huh?

Driving at 4 in the morning on highways and country roads with 40kmh road signs but no road work in site

And the thought that the minute you put your foot down, the grey ghost appears

The post I replied to said they were tasty, without mention of spices, herbs, sauces, whatever, which was my entire, light-hearted point. Plenty of things can become 'tasty' with heaps of extra stuff added. That was it. I didn't add a new rule (you did). The 'touchy' bit was in reference to the general theme of the last couple of pages, which has involved a supermod calling a poster an idiot and a solid back and forth about the topic. 'touchy'.

Thanks for calling me white bread though, which according to your logic couldn't possibly be a throwaway line, and is actually a mod insulting a poster based on their feeling towards eating insects. Real good vibe going in here, huh?
Chill mate, suggesting eating a steak with nothing at all on it is still a perfectly tasty meal is pretty much the definition of white bread.

Maybe you think this is all deeply serious but i rarely get above an exasperated sigh in BF land.

Depends what you call a serve. CSIRO meals consist of 200g of red meat, chicken or fish (dinner) and 100g at lunch. Personally I find 200g too much but some don't. You can have 2 eggs at lunch also, or an egg and a small can of tuna or salmon with salad. I've rarely bothered with lentils (except Indian), tofu or chickpeas.

How much protein do you really need?
  1. Men: 0.84g per kilogram of body weight per day. For example, if a man weighs 85kg, his recommended intake is approximately 71g.
  2. Women: 0.75g per kilogram of body weight per day. For example, if a woman weighs 70kg, her recommended intake is approximately 52g.
A CSIRO review ... found support for the recommendation to eat at least 25 grams of protein at each main meal to help control hunger and enhance muscle metabolism.

Just as a guide, a 200g piece of steak supplies around 50 grams of protein, 200g chickpeas has about 36g protein (but the protein isn't as good/complete :) ). That's a lotta chickpeas :).
Im not going to question the CSIRO cause im sure they know more than me but those seem like big ******* numbers for food. It looks like the old food pyramid with 4000 serves of grain, 55 of dairy, 75 tonnes of veggies per day.

Im not going to question the CSIRO cause im sure they know more than me but those seem like big ******* numbers for food. It looks like the old food pyramid with 4000 serves of grain, 55 of dairy, 75 tonnes of veggies per day.
Yes it’s all about nutritional balance. It’s an eating plan that works for weightloss, even with the large amount of food. Sugar is the big nono.

I did the CSIRO diet last year and it was an insane amount of food. The weight still came off very quickly though.

It’s a really well-designed diet. I did occasionally get a bit sick of plowing through bowls of rabbit food for lunch, but generally speaking the food was tasty, easy to prepare and never left me hungry.

My main criticism is that it’s not that cheap - I think it cost us about $125 a person for a week’s meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back