Mega Thread Things that s**t me the fourteenth part

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a 16 year old makes up fake rape complaint, tells people at the time, then pretends to stew on it for 20 years before reporting to the cops and the police hit the do-nothing button because covid (as if video interviews and evidence have never existed) and months later she tells them to fu** off and theatrically offs herself the next day.

He might be innocent until proven guilty but the above scenario so lacks credibility you would think the only honourable thing would be to resign on a fat pension and never darken the public doorstep again.

Oh, honourable. My bad. Sorry.

"I did not sleep with the victim"

That encompasses "raped and then f’ed off" by definition. Allegedly.

The other aspect of his story which seems to raise questions is that after January 1988 he no longer had anything to do with her...

So we hear from him that she was a nice girl, they spent time to together and then for no apparent reason or reason he's willing to discuss, all communication and contact suddenly stopped

I know that people drift apart, friendships don't always last forever etc, but generally you can see reasons for that such as people moving away, starting a new job, family or whatever variety of reasons, but his explanation is that they just cut contact

It was iirc commonly used in reverse by some cultures before Hitler copied it. I remember seeing a big gold one in a temple or something in Hong Kong.

They were talking like if they ban the symbol, then we'd have to ban "Saving Private Ryan" and movies depicting it etc etc.

Srsly. :rolleyesv1:

I agree, Shell, he's a bit of a tool.

But the swastika has been used for thousands of years.

Wikipedia:
It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, including Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. In the Western world, it was a symbol of auspiciousness and good luck until the 1930s when the right-facing tilted form became a feature of Nazi symbolism as an emblem of the Aryan race.
--
Note the left-facing form was not used by the Nazis.
It means well-being in Sanskrit.

This is the functional equivalent of banning crucifixes because it is a marking commonly used by paedophiles.

I posted a few weeks ago some model kits of WWII aircraft that are sold in Europe and are not allowed to have the Luftwaffe markings of the time, so the box covers have been shopped and the decals included do not have swastikas. How effective the ban has been was illustrated by someone posting that aircraft of the time never had them.

What other bits of inconvenient history should be deleted to assuage the offended and outraged? Where does it end? Hint: It doesn't.

I agree, Shell, he's a bit of a tool.

But the swastika has been used for thousands of years.

\

A bit?!?!?!

He's boring af and "Captain Obvious" most of the time.

His drive show is terrible.

I dont really care about the symbol tbh- I do care about Nazi groups going around harrassing people tho, displaying it.

Well lets ban the southern cross flag, because I do care about skinhead groups going around harassing people, displaying it.

And the Union Jack, because I do care about National Front groups going around harassing people, displaying it.

Exactly the same thing. Where do we draw the line? What innocuous symbols are we going to ban next because they have been co-opted by groups that have been decreed undesirable by the government?

We've already got the precedent being set in the US where confederate flags are now considered a sign of white supremacy and are being removed and/or banned wholesale. Never mind the history behind it or its usage over the last 140 years or so. It's now Evil and Must Be Erased. No doubt Dukes of Hazzard reruns will have to have a warning and disclaimer shown before the episodes in case the car roof causes offence.

Not to mention the OK hand sign :handok: that internet trolls designated as another white supremacy symbol and media morons - and the morons who buy into that media and found another target for their being offended and outraged - ran with it even though it was only a joke. A s**t-stir.

christian fish.jpg
"Greeks, Romans, and many other pagans used the fish symbol before Christians. Hence the fish, unlike, say, the cross, attracted little suspicion, making it a perfect secret symbol for persecuted believers. When threatened by Romans in the first centuries after Christ, Christians used the fish mark meeting places and tombs, or to distinguish friends from foes."

You can bet the Roman authorities of the day would have wielded the banzhammer hard once they figured it out. Outraged. Incensed. Symbol of terrorists.

Well lets ban the southern cross flag, because I do care about skinhead groups going around harassing people, displaying it.

And the Union Jack, because I do care about National Front groups going around harassing people, displaying it.

Exactly the same thing. Where do we draw the line? What innocuous symbols are we going to ban next because they have been co-opted by groups that have been decreed undesirable by the government?

We've already got the precedent being set in the US where confederate flags are now considered a sign of white supremacy and are being removed and/or banned wholesale. Never mind the history behind it or its usage over the last 140 years or so. It's now Evil and Must Be Erased. No doubt Dukes of Hazzard reruns will have to have a warning and disclaimer shown before the episodes in case the car roof causes offence.

Not to mention the OK hand sign :handok: that internet trolls designated as another white supremacy symbol and media morons - and the morons who buy into that media and found another target for their being offended and outraged - ran with it even though it was only a joke. A sh*t-stir.

View attachment 1069221
"Greeks, Romans, and many other pagans used the fish symbol before Christians. Hence the fish, unlike, say, the cross, attracted little suspicion, making it a perfect secret symbol for persecuted believers. When threatened by Romans in the first centuries after Christ, Christians used the fish mark meeting places and tombs, or to distinguish friends from foes."

You can bet the Roman authorities of the day would have wielded the banzhammer hard once they figured it out. Outraged. Incensed. Symbol of terrorists.
Ultimately society sets the standard. Once upon a time owning slaves and making black people sit at the back of the bus was okay too.

The other aspect of his story which seems to raise questions is that after January 1988 he no longer had anything to do with her...

So we hear from him that she was a nice girl, they spent time to together and then for no apparent reason or reason he's willing to discuss, all communication and contact suddenly stopped

I know that people drift apart, friendships don't always last forever etc, but generally you can see reasons for that such as people moving away, starting a new job, family or whatever variety of reasons, but his explanation is that they just cut contact
They only spent time together because they were in the same debating competition. It wasn’t a friendship that continued after the comp.

"Banning" the Swastika would accomplish absolutely zero. They'd just use alternative imagery from the Nazi era.

No one is getting into fascism just because the symbols look cool.

I'm of the opinion that you're giving these idiots exactly what they want, publicity. Ignore them and if they do anything illegal then they should be punished.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately society sets the standard. Once upon a time owning slaves and making black people sit at the back of the bus was okay too.

Indeed. And it is unacceptable today, for good reason.

But where is the logic in trying to erase history? It happened. There is no denying it. It is recorded. It is known. Why not accept that it was a thing that happened at that time, and celebrate that it does not exist now?

This is what I don't get. The Nazi regime was responsible for atrocities. Hence the shock-horror that the swastika is being waved around by fascist pinheads. Removing the symbol does nothing to address the issue that we have a small but noisy subculture of fascist pinheads. Slapping a bandaid over a festering sore does not cure the infection, it is just making the exterior look nice so that the easily/professionally outraged do not have their sensibilities overloaded by the sight of pus.

I reiterate, what's next? Where do we stop? Photoshopping "Whites Only" out of old pics of park benches because racism?

You're right, society sets the standard. The standard of today. Not the standard of twenty, fifty, a hundred, four hundred years ago. You cannot change what already happened. Yet that fact is completely lost on the yapping victim culture who are doing their level best to rewrite and erase history, Ministry of Truth-style. I can delete this post, or have another mod delete it for me. It is no longer visible. It can offend nobody. That does not alter the truth that the post was written and did exist.

Let me quote from another thread:
Even model aircraft from WWII are prohibited from having swastikas etc. Erase the history, pretend it never happened.
View attachment 1050951
I notice some enterprising fellow has got around it by offering aftermarket decals that are obviously NOT swastikas:
View attachment 1050952
Luftwaffe planes never had the swastika on them during the war

See how easily the process of indoctrination works? If every pic of German wartime planes seen by MatthewB had been altered as per the box illustrations, his comment is absolutely correct. For him, and anyone else with the same exposure to the same sources.

View attachment 1050970
Messerchmitt Bf 109G-5's of 7/JG 27 over the Mediterranean, 1943.

But that sure as s**t does not alter the fact, the truth, that the Luftwaffe used them. No matter how much handwringing and pearl-clutching goes on, and how much photoshopping is done to spare the easily offended of today.

Why not look back at what has occurred in our past, be thankful that we are more enlightened today, and move forward to a better tomorrow?

Indeed. And it is unacceptable today, for good reason.

But where is the logic in trying to erase history? It happened. There is no denying it. It is recorded. It is known. Why not accept that it was a thing that happened at that time, and celebrate that it does not exist now?

This is what I don't get. The Nazi regime was responsible for atrocities. Hence the shock-horror that the swastika is being waved around by fascist pinheads. Removing the symbol does nothing to address the issue that we have a small but noisy subculture of fascist pinheads. Slapping a bandaid over a festering sore does not cure the infection, it is just making the exterior look nice so that the easily/professionally outraged do not have their sensibilities overloaded by the sight of pus.

I reiterate, what's next? Where do we stop? Photoshopping "Whites Only" out of old pics of park benches because racism?

You're right, society sets the standard. The standard of today. Not the standard of twenty, fifty, a hundred, four hundred years ago. You cannot change what already happened. Yet that fact is completely lost on the yapping victim culture who are doing their level best to rewrite and erase history, Ministry of Truth-style. I can delete this post, or have another mod delete it for me. It is no longer visible. It can offend nobody. That does not alter the truth that the post was written and did exist.

Let me quote from another thread:

See how easily the process of indoctrination works? If every pic of German wartime planes seen by MatthewB had been altered as per the box illustrations, his comment is absolutely correct. For him, and anyone else with the same exposure to the same sources.

But that sure as sh*t does not alter the fact, the truth, that the Luftwaffe used them. No matter how much handwringing and pearl-clutching goes on, and how much photoshopping is done to spare the easily offended of today.

Why not look back at what has occurred in our past, be thankful that we are more enlightened today, and move forward to a better tomorrow?
I don’t take it as erasing history I take it as removing an offensive symbol from positions where it’s going to offend people.

Personally don’t buy into the old “slippery slope” argument, it will always stop at the point society deems appropriate.

I don’t take it as erasing history I take it as removing an offensive symbol from positions where it’s going to offend people.

Personally don’t buy into the old “slippery slope” argument, it will always stop at the point society deems appropriate.
where do you stop though ?
Im sure lots of symbols offend someone

floyd wall.jpg

I love this unified society. We all think the same, we all get offended by the same things, we are all in charge of stopping the madness whenever we all come to an agreement.

It serves as a nice distraction from the real things going on in this world that are not only offensive but monstrous. As long as we concentrate on Evil Symbols and Hate Incidents, we need not trouble our unified and homogenised inclusive little souls by anything remotely meaningful.

Its not that simple
Society doesnt think as one
No but you get enough of a consensus and it seems to have an effect.

You might not like it but the whole slippery slope thing is silly. It’s hard enough to enact change with a majority let alone one random outlier. If same sex marriage didn’t lead to people marrying animals then why would banning the swastika lead to people banning rainbows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back