Mega Thread Things that s**t me part XI - The Eleventh One!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
So, my mum wants me to shave off my beard. I can think it's because it reminds her of my dad. And has her in tears about it.

I've trimmed it to try and keep her happy, but to not avail.

Personally, it doesn't feel natural for me not to have a beard. So I really want to keep it as I feel it's part of me.

So this means I'm stuck with trying to make her happy, or me happy. :(

make your ma happy
grow a beard when you're on your own

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Uni. No idea what the * I'm doing. Completely over it, doing crap as a result and there's nothing I can really do.

I just want to be in the workplace, cannot stand this whole study thing anymore.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Business (eco and finance) at RMIT. Just not a fan of the whole uni thing, and that's been a major reason my grades have been crap both years now.

Used to be a driven student in high school but can't be stuffed anymore.

Time to take the plunge into the deep blue....You can always go back later as a mature-ager, if things turn back that way, as I once did.

Nov 24, 2003
#impunity
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time to take the plunge into the deep blue....You can always go back later as a mature-ager, if things turn back that way, as I once did.
Look I have a different view, in that if he can I reckon he should finish - very versatile degrees to have, even with middling grades.

You may well have had the ability to come back as a mature ager but many won't have the opportunity

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Look I have a different view, in that if he can I reckon he should finish - very versatile degrees to have, even with middling grades.

You may well have had the ability to come back as a mature ager but many won't have the opportunity
Problem is I have to basically been great the rest of the semester in my subjects, because I'm such a lazy *er, and enough is enough with simply passing courses.

Have a feeling I'll end up in the exact same situation next year, because I have next to no self-motivation anymore and put everything off till last minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Business (eco and finance) at RMIT. Just not a fan of the whole uni thing, and that's been a major reason my grades have been crap both years now.

Used to be a driven student in high school but can't be stuffed anymore.

My daughter just walked away for much the same reasons. Realised that she just can't stand being at uni anymore and her attitude and grades reflected that. She had previously taken a year off thinking that she just needed a break and returned this year but has now realised its Uni she dislikes. Has got a job and while not sure if it's what's she is going to do forever she is in a better mind space and says that she MAY go back later if only to do a unit here or there.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Problem is I cannot think of anything else that I'm keen on doing.

And of course so much requires a ******* degree.

It's up to you.

No doubt it'll be shite jobs & minimum wage..... But it's often that stark reality that clarifies your focus, about the choices you have & what you want to do in life.

Fresh air & manual labor will help clear your head & drop your soul back into your body....Sounds like you need to shock yourself out of your complacency.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I want to travel but I doubt I'll have the money.

I piss away too much.

Before you decide on anything mate, drop in & see the careers Councillor at your campus.....They'll have seen this type of thing many times before & should be able to assist....Talk to your family & friends too about it & then decide.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Uni. No idea what the **** I'm doing. Completely over it, doing crap as a result and there's nothing I can really do.

I just want to be in the workplace, cannot stand this whole study thing anymore.

Pretty much the position that i'm in. The thing is that i've changed courses a couple of times so actually finishing a degree seems like so far away. Added to that, I'm starting to feel some pressure of a rising HECS debt (although my theory is that the way i'm going i'll struggle to ever earn over the threshold..). Also, I feel as though there's pressure on me to complete a degree considering I was fairly academic all through high school yet lack desire to get a trade. So pretty much I have no idea what to do with my life at the moment, the only thing I like is Sport literally nothing else interests me one bit. And i'm 20 now, I know that seems fairly young but it feels old to me and I feel like my life's going nowhere fast.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Pretty much the position that i'm in. The thing is that i've changed courses a couple of times so actually finishing a degree seems like so far away. Added to that, I'm starting to feel some pressure of a rising HECS debt (although my theory is that the way i'm going i'll struggle to ever earn over the threshold..). Also, I feel as though there's pressure on me to complete a degree considering I was fairly academic all through high school yet lack desire to get a trade. So pretty much I have no idea what to do with my life at the moment, the only thing I like is Sport literally nothing else interests me one bit. And i'm 20 now, I know that seems fairly young but it feels old to me and I feel like my life's going nowhere fast.
Yeah same age as me. I was a good student at school, probably a little lazy but always did really well in most things. Around half way through year 12 I began being more social and my outlook on the whole study thing changed. Was still doing it, but ended up doing not as well as I could've if I stayed really focused, pretty much on the basis that my first choice was too outrageous and my second choice was easily attainable.

I thought my degree would be pretty enjoyable, even if I didn't really know where I wanted to go or if it was truly right for me. The people in the course have turned out to be completely s**t, the classes are basically dull lifeless affairs and the course content I don't mind, but I just can't be bothered with all the maths s**t again. At first I thought it was just some burnout from year twelve, but it's been basically two years now and my habits are shocking. Leave things to the last minute, not keeping up, missing classes, and doing the bare minimum to get through.

As it stands I'll graduate with most likely a pass unless I somehow turnaround my grades this semester and then in my final two next year. Feel like I've completely wasted my time, and truth be told I'm quite pissed at myself, because I couldn't really even say for certain if the course content is an issue, I just don't enjoy uni enough to be immersed in it like others I know are.

I could probably graduate next year, but graduating with a pass is a failure in my eyes. I can do far better and I've always envisioned myself ending up at a decent job thanks to my hard work. I've already been turned down from an internship at one place because of my grades, it's only going to get worse.

I only have myself to blame, but I honestly think Australia's whole uni system isn't the greatest and most inspiring of systems.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Yeah same age as me. I was a good student at school, probably a little lazy but always did really well in most things. Around half way through year 12 I began being more social and my outlook on the whole study thing changed. Was still doing it, but ended up doing not as well as I could've if I stayed really focused, pretty much on the basis that my first choice was too outrageous and my second choice was easily attainable.

I thought my degree would be pretty enjoyable, even if I didn't really know where I wanted to go or if it was truly right for me. The people in the course have turned out to be completely s**t, the classes are basically dull lifeless affairs and the course content I don't mind, but I just can't be bothered with all the maths s**t again. At first I thought it was just some burnout from year twelve, but it's been basically two years now and my habits are shocking. Leave things to the last minute, not keeping up, missing classes, and doing the bare minimum to get through.

As it stands I'll graduate with most likely a pass unless I somehow turnaround my grades this semester and then in my final two next year. Feel like I've completely wasted my time, and truth be told I'm quite pissed at myself, because I couldn't really even say for certain if the course content is an issue, I just don't enjoy uni enough to be immersed in it like others I know are.

I could probably graduate next year, but graduating with a pass is a failure in my eyes. I can do far better and I've always envisioned myself ending up at a decent job thanks to my hard work. I've already been turned down from an internship at one place because of my grades, it's only going to get worse.

I only have myself to blame, but I honestly think Australia's whole uni system isn't the greatest and most inspiring of systems.

My problem was I never wanted to go to University straight out of school in the first place, but with all the pressuring the teachers and parents put you through you feel like you have to do something straight out of school.

Pretty identical habits to me then, hate being at Uni and go there as little as possible but the thing is you can still as you say get a pass without actually knowing anything which I find rather concerning and it defeats the whole purpose of going to Uni (isn't it to learn not to get a pass from doing bare minimum and learning nothing). Then again, you get out what you put in and I put very minimal effort in because I simply hate it and therefore I learn nothing. Some of the classes I have endured I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I kid you not, a whole subject on the aboriginal genocide in which there was a 2-hour weekly seminar and everyone seemed to be loving the debates whilst I was there on my laptop watching NBA (withdrew from the subject roughly 5 weeks in, after census date).

Australia's Uni system is messed up in my eyes, but then again that's a pretty biased view.

Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
My problem was I never wanted to go to University straight out of school in the first place, but with all the pressuring the teachers and parents put you through you feel like you have to do something straight out of school.

Pretty identical habits to me then, hate being at Uni and go there as little as possible but the thing is you can still as you say get a pass without actually knowing anything which I find rather concerning and it defeats the whole purpose of going to Uni (isn't it to learn not to get a pass from doing bare minimum and learning nothing). Then again, you get out what you put in and I put very minimal effort in because I simply hate it and therefore I learn nothing. Some of the classes I have endured I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I kid you not, a whole subject on the aboriginal genocide in which there was a 2-hour weekly seminar and everyone seemed to be loving the debates whilst I was there on my laptop watching NBA (withdrew from the subject roughly 5 weeks in, after census date).

Australia's Uni system is messed up in my eyes, but then again that's a pretty biased view.
Yeah, I wanted to go, just didn't know what I wanted to study, and that's probably a reason I'm not enjoying it too.

I've found the pass thing applies early, but at lot of my subjects are getting really formula based now, and leaving things to the last minute has left me in two subjects this semester needing to average relatively higher marks to simply pass the two subjects. It definitely is a concern though.

I think everyone sees uni as a means to an end these days, and the whole learning thing has basically been tossed aside. I mean sure you can do your extra research, and do further study after doing an undergraduate but that doesn't seem to be the case for many. They're not exactly preparing you too well for the workplace either. You're basically going to learn completely different things the first day you start a job somewhere. Where I am does a bit better than most at preparing you for employment.

I look at the US college system and am jealous. Definitely not jealous of the debts the students have to accumulate to earn a degree, but at least they're a lot more into uni then we are with the way it is set up. I also can't help but think that the fees over there would do a good job at sorting out who actually wants to go to uni and make use of it. While I don't think I'm quite in the category of literally going to uni for the sake of it (I actually want to give the financial sector a crack eventually and hope that's something I can enjoy working in, at least for a while), people like me and some mates who are literally going for the sake of it, would think a lot harder if our fees were something more substantial.

I definitely am an advocate of everyone's right to an education, but unfortunately in this country it has made uni something it isn't mean to be. Too many people so you barely know a soul, unless you're lucky enough to find a cool group (not my case), tons of people attending who are absolute bores devoid of personality, and then you've got the hordes of international students. I've got nothing against international students coming to study, but RMIT clearly turns a blind eye to just how educated some are in the English language. I happened to be in a class last semester with about 15, all speaking in foreign languages and when speaking English, it was completely broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back